New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Theo Void wrote:I have Live 9, PUSH and MAschine mk2. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a Maschine Studio but at $1000, I don't think I'll be adopting early. I am, however, super psyched about the 2.0 update! From what I've read it should satisfy quite a few of my gripes about the soft-ware. Side-chain, un-limited groups FTW!

It's kinda shitty that NI is charging long-time users $100 for the update but you'll have that I guess. I'm not too worried about it. Programmers gotsta get paid too!!!!

I also just got the new Bass Station 2 so my GAS is satisfied for the near future.

But damn, that STudio is hella sexy!!

I’m still on Live 8. No plans to upgrade to 9 yet, don’t have Push, and mostly use Logic now. If I had the money to burn and felt I would get some use out of it I think Maschine Studio would be a better option for me and is not that much more expensive than Push and the Live 9 upgrade.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
panten wrote:One thing that I've noticed is that selecting and editing MIDI notes using a controller is far less fun and more time consuming than it is with a mouse.

Still, having the option while zoning out would be nice.
I'd just like to point out that Live users don't have to use a mouse/trackpad to select and edit MIDI notes on a computer. I usually use an ordinary computer keyboard. You just use arrow keys and a bit of mouse keys. There are various advantages, apart from the obvious ones (some people can't use a mouse due to RSI etc). For example when Live 9 came out, some people said it was difficult to place a note on the grid. I never had much of a problem with that, even if I used the trackpad. But it's impossible to do it wrong if you are using arrow keys to move the notes. Selecting breakpoints is another example. There are quite a few. Anyway, I don't wanna distract the thread, just sayin'. I think what's nice about Maschine actually is not having to look at the computer as much as getting away from the pointing device.
Midi step recording in Live is quite fast and efficient on the computer and does not need a mouse. You can input and edit.

Oh, and Maschine is also a computer so you are still looking at one.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Live + a Launchpad S and Launchpad 95 gets you an 8/8 matrix, and Maschine 1.8 integrates really nicely with LIve as a control surface for almost anything else. And who knows what Maschine 2.0 will bring in that respect? (The guys at NI are not exactly unaware that Live and Maschine are often used together...)

(I have a Maschine MkII, and that's all I need, since I have a gorgeous computer screen (In fact, two of them; I can run Live on one and Machine VST on the other....

Having both is kind of like having two guitars....
TomViolenz wrote: Oh, I totally get that :-)

But just for ONE example why I think Push is not obsolete: The 64 pads!
It gives you a 32 step sequencer (16 Maschine) PLUS the 16 button grid selection to choose which section of your clip is selected in the step sequencer PLUS immediate access on 16 more buttons to the sounds on that track! The step sequencing fluidity possible on Push is unparalleled in Maschine! AND you can play the 16 pads and step-sequence at the same time!
Playing with Push in the store (no I don't have it yet) gave me serious GAS and got me to start saving up. I see nothing in the new hardware of Maschine that could trigger the same effect in me. (certainly not for 1 000 €!)
Same for the software compared to Live: It's great and longed for by me (I will definitely by it!), but it's no rival to Live!

Launchpad does not have velocity control... that is a complete showstopper for lots of people

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:03 am

The size of studio is too big for my desktop.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

Buleriachk wrote:Live + a Launchpad S and Launchpad 95 gets you an 8/8 matrix, and Maschine 1.8 integrates really nicely with LIve as a control surface for almost anything else. And who knows what Maschine 2.0 will bring in that respect? (The guys at NI are not exactly unaware that Live and Maschine are often used together...)

(I have a Maschine MkII, and that's all I need, since I have a gorgeous computer screen (In fact, two of them; I can run Live on one and Machine VST on the other....

Having both is kind of like having two guitars....
I don't think I would be the first person to have two different guitars ;-)
I also have the Launchpad, a Nocturn all run with the STC and launchpad95 script. Great workflow, but it's just not the same type of integration as a Push will bring. Also the Aftertouch, velocity sensitivity and screen just change the workflow significantly!
I also have a Maschine MK1, which I love, but still considered to sell to make money for Push. The 2.0 update changed that!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:37 pm

$99 is a fair price indeed.

..but when is NI having their next upgrade sale?? :P

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm

This looks awesome and not that expensive if you consider you're getting the software. Consider how much you're paying for Push & Live Suite. I think NI just stepped up the game. Good on 'em. I'm happy to see some innovation unlike Ableton who in my opinion have sat on their laurels for far too long.

I think 9 Suite will be my final upgrade with this software. My past posts outline my frustrations. entirely.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 am

Heads up for those pre-ordering: Maschine Studio is $899 at Guitar Center with the 10% off promo code. That's $100 off of Studio and $60 off of the MK2. The code is RMN10 and it's good until 1/1/14.

And you can price match that coupon at zZounds for an additional discount.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:13 am

This might be interesting if 9.1 wasn't so cool 8)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:48 am

Shots of the new mixer view:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:56 am

What about quantizing improvements? Like being able to edit multiple clips or groove, you know.....the cool stuff.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 am

I don't think there's been an official list of all the new features yet, just what's filtering out from all the preview write-ups so far. The CDM article mentions some like these:

- Smarter Control Mapping: multiple Sound/Group selection and editing, “improved MIDI handling and parameter mapping” (details on that soon), and macros on all Sounds, Groups and Master.
- Better Sampling: Various sample mapping improvements, plus zero crossing detection and overlapping samples.
MIDI file import
- a Record Prepare mode and metronome customization for easier takes
- Note Repeat has gate.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:37 pm

For myself. Two features that stand out are the midi mapping. Whatever that might entail (hopefully it means more control using other hardware!). And the gate control on repeat. Simple but important feature!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:47 pm

I think this an even bigger threat to Live than Bitwig. There’s plenty of music being made that doesn’t need the deep tweaking available on more robust DAWs. The price might be a little off putting but then you get roped in with the hardware integration. I think to a new producer that’s going to be quite attractive...even more so if they are coming from the Traktor DJ world.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Unlimited scenes confirmed: http://instagram.com/p/fDBg8ItgJk/