New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dillinger63

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by Dillinger63 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Any images of 2.0 on older model screens?

I want to know all the pros and cons before dishing out 100$. Did they change the tabs, control scheme, etc etc etc? Maybe a link to a forum with images of all that stuff?

Being on an '08 laptop, I think I'm in need of an update soon haha
As a Maschine Mk2 and waiting for my Maschine Studio user, along with Push, you may want to check out the NI forums as there are many replies to questions such as yours and others.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Great links to the vids. Quite beautiful. And I've always loved what saintjoe has been doing.

Yeah, I didn't feel like trudging through the mess that is the NI forum. I've been looking at it since Maschine 1.0. Kinda stopped a couple yrs ago.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:56 pm

yur2die4 wrote:..... and I've always loved what saintjoe has been doing.
and he has been very hopeful to in assisting others too, me included.

panten

Post by panten » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 am

This upgrade(?) to Maschine 2.0 seems like a bit of a minefield of disappointment at the moment, if their forum is anything to judge by. From missing Libraries to bugs all over the place; velocity issues, drag and drop issues etc..

Feel sorry for those early adopter who got caught up in the hype and humped with a poorly tested product.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:51 am

yeah, it's confusing. They release 2.0.2 today, but not sure EXACTLY what it addresses.

Seems I'm better off pocketing the coin and holding off for now :?

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 am

There seems to be a problem especially when using Maschine 2 in Live. I received my Maschine Studio on 31. of October and was looking forward using the new software that was praised beeing more then one step beyond 1.8.
Beside parts beeing a step forward other parts are more towards some steps backwards. Using Maschine 2 in Live as Plugin gives alot of trouble. I was not able to setup Maschine as I had it before and many others are facing the same issues.
I put my new Maschine Studio into a corner and am using my old one on 1.8 until these issues are solved when using Maschine as VST in Ableton. The Studio hardware is very nice done but the software was not ready for market if you ask me.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 pm

panten wrote:This upgrade(?) to Maschine 2.0 seems like a bit of a minefield of disappointment at the moment, if their forum is anything to judge by. From missing Libraries to bugs all over the place; velocity issues, drag and drop issues etc..
Not at all. There is this sense that the app is buggy floating around and it's based on misinformation and people keep perpetuating it. There are only about 2 or 3 actual bugs in this release that the forum members have actually found. Even with the bugs that are there, I would not tag it as a "buggy" release. And NI are already on it and have released the 2.0.2 update.

Every time someone has an issue does not mean that it's a bug in the software. In fact, most cases it turns out not to be. Most of the complaints I've seen are some people that are unnecessarily panicking and just jumping to conclusions because they're not used to the new changes, or not having installed 2.0 correctly. In fact, 2.0, as a complete rewrite, is more stable right out the gate than the competition.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:27 pm

@delicioso

There are some serious problems especially when using Maschine as VST. The drag & drop does nor work properly with groups into Live. There problems of notes that randomly play with higher velocity. Both of these problems have nothing to do with misunderstanding of users. I haven`t found anyone who could drag and drop a group from Maschine into Live by a way that is useful...
These are just two issues but they are sever because the worklfow of many has been cut by these. Maschine was meant to be used within other DAWs but the new software makes it much more complicated using them so and some things really just dont work.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 pm

DJTIVA wrote:The drag & drop does nor work properly with groups into Live. There problems of notes that randomly play with higher velocity. Both of these problems have nothing to do with misunderstanding of users. I haven`t found anyone who could drag and drop a group from Maschine into Live by a way that is useful...
These are just two issues but they are sever because the worklfow of many has been cut by these.

How do you know that's an actual problem with Maschine though? Maschine's MIDI implementation and routing has been completely revamped for 2.0 so it could just as well be a matter of reconfiguring the MIDI setups for however you're integrating it with Live.

As far as drag and dropping groups into Live, I'm assuming you're talking about dragging MIDI and how in 2.0, the MIDI files dragged in gets separate MIDI tracks for each sound instead of just being a single MIDI file. That's an example of a feature working differently in a new version, not something that's broken, and how one views it would differ based on workflow preferences.
DJTIVA wrote:Maschine was meant to be used within other DAWs but the new software makes it much more complicated using them so and some things really just dont work.
Maschine is also meant to be used standalone. Whether the new version makes it "much more complicated" would depend on the specific workflow that one is used to. That doesn't mean "things just don't work.". Someone who uses drag and drop of Audio, wouldn't care about the changes in drag and drop of MIDI. Someone who prefers the dragged and dropped MIDI files to be in separate tracks obviously aren't complaining about the change. Many people, including myself, don't use Maschine by drag and dropping MIDI into a DAW.

panten

Post by panten » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Of course delicioso would come to the defense but taking a quick look at the NI forum tells a different story.

So every user with a complaint must be doing things wrong? that's a pretty blind faith claim, maybe try not to be such a fanboy.

If the software release was tied into the hardware release then that's just tough luck I guess and one which Live 9 Push users went through.
I'm sure NI are all over it though to try and minimize the damage a rushed buggy release will have caused.

As for 'Maschine is supposed to be used standalone'. What about all those guys and gals who find the sketchbook like nature of the sequencer too limiting, and what are they supposed to do when they want to take things further?

Or is that also just tough luck?

*edit*
btw I'm not making the suggestion to forego purchasing a Maschine in case you're worried about your sales figures. I'm merely mulling over the bun fight that's going on at the moment @NI Forum between the loyalist fans and the non partisan fans.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 pm

panten wrote:Of course delicioso would come to the defense
I guess just like you come to the defense of Push around here, huh?
panten wrote:So every user with a complaint must be doing things wrong? that's a pretty blind faith claim, maybe try not to be such a fanboy.
:roll: Whatever, Push fanboy. You can re-read what I said. I said "most of the complaints I've seen".

panten

Post by panten » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 pm

wow, did you even read what I wrote? Maybe not the bit where I criticised Ableton for a buggy release of Live9 BECAUSE of Push. surely?

or are you just a tiresome kneejerk shill looking for some fight. Come on, we're better than this.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 pm

lol whatever dude

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm

There is definitely a mix going on of real problems (e.g. behavior not working properly) and then just people freaking out because "different = scary = bad = blame NI before becoming familiar with things."

Personally, I love the V2 software, and think it streamlines the UI and general workflow in a way that turns the whole program around for me. But, i was not a fan of the previous software UI / workflow, so the changes were welcome to me. Whereas most of the griping I've read (beyond some legitimate bugs) is of the nature of "I DON'T GET IT WHY IS THIS DIFFERENT!!?" and while that's certainly valid, a majority of posters are crying foul before they've really gotten familiar with the new software. Not surprising..this is the internet, after all, e.g. Whine Central, especally when a popular program undergoes major changes.

all that said, I should note that I -do not ever- use Maschine as a plugin inside live, but rather run it independently and sync the two programs when necessary using the IAC bus driver in OSX. This is just a matter of personal preference, but does mean I can't speak for those who are used to plugin functionality and encountering problems therein with V2. Personally, I use drag-n-drop of audio from Maschine to ableton all the time, but never need to use the Midi drag-n-drop, as I have zero interest in all the necessary configuration of extra audio channels, etc. And now Maschine V2 has its own mixer anyway, so I can perfect my channel mixes in there, drag n drop the patterns audio into live. Suits me, anyway. (Oh, and I friggin hate that in plugin mode you lose the transport controls in maschine unless you start midi mapping them to live's transport; just doesn't suit the way I work).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:31 am

I agree that it's a mix. 1.8.2 is plenty good enough for me right now. I like the drum synth for example and I'm pretty sure I'd get some mileage out of it, but I'm not sold enough overall to spend the modest 99 bucks.

More time and info is needed.......