any good tutorials on linear work flow using session view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
serbia

any good tutorials on linear work flow using session view?

Post by serbia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 pm

i learned to produce in arrangement view linear style, finding it hard to make the switch to session. it just doesnt feel as organised. any tips or good tuition vids to keep things tidy?

cheers

stoersignal

Re: any good tutorials on linear work flow using session view?

Post by stoersignal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm

the thing about session view is that you don`t work linear :D

serbia

Post by serbia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 pm

stoersignal wrote:the thing about session view is that you don`t work linear :D
:lol: i know..... but....

nice tunes by the way

serbia

Post by serbia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:You can just stick to Arrange if that’s what you’re more comfortable with. Think of Arrange as a painting you want to work on and Session as your sketch pad and also your palette. Session is where you cook up ideas before moving to Arrange to build the song. It’s just easier doing it in Session once you get used to it. You can use Session and Arrange at the same time, so you can audition loops and work on them while playing the main song. Try using Session like that, or just using it a bit here and a bit there. It will all start to fall into place. You can finish a song in Arrange and then put a simplified audio version of it back in Session for Live performance. Also you can actually build a whole song in Session that plays through from start to finish. Learn what Scenes are. Learn what back To Arrange does. Just enjoy the learning process.
good advice 8)

It has been growing on me since getting a push, i struggle with automation in session view, dont quite understand how you can automate clips in session i.e clip automation and then carry it over to arrangement - doesn't seem to work for me

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 am

It should just be locked to the clip so if you play the clip while recording to arrangement it should lay down whatever you added as automation. Additionally it should also carry over if you grab a clip and TAB to the arrangement and drop it in.

But...

Saying this though, running 9.1 I did try and play some clips with automation lastnight into arrangement via Push as my first test run with Push and after it had recorded in arrangement I did a playback and I could hear nothing nor did any of the automation lanes change my parameters (Yes BTA was off thanks). After 10 minutes of head scratching I saved the attempt, closed live, opened the project and it was working as expected. I have to try and recreate that one as I think it was a bug but apart from that it should work.