Novation Impulse enhanced scripts -live performance and arm

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbakirov

Re: Novation Impulse scripts - added overdub,arm selected track

Post by mbakirov » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:21 am

OhNoxius wrote:Thanks! Great script!
The arm/record function with Shift + track mixer button is my main reason for using this.

So I understand you are working on auto-selecting the track that is being armed?
That would be helpful. I guess clicking the 'arm' button with the mouse IS selecting and arming at the same time...

Also Shift is activated (Learn function is ON) every time I arm a track with the Shift + track mixer button shortcut.
That's because of an Impulse firmware bug? Would also be a nice improvement in the future.

Anyways, great work!
KArel

what firmware are you using?
I have recently updated to 695 where they claim to fix the bug of not releasing shift, but I have not checked yet.

as for autoselect, i think there is an option in ableton like single select or so, that will make the armed track to be selected.

honestly i did not touch the script for more than a year

OhNoxius

Post by OhNoxius » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

mbakirov wrote: what firmware are you using?
I have recently updated to 695 where they claim to fix the bug of not releasing shift, but I have not checked yet.
I just have my Novation Impulse a couple of days, there was a firmware update right away when installing Automap 4.9, but I don't know what version I have now (how can I check?)
mbakirov wrote: as for autoselect, i think there is an option in ableton like single select or so, that will make the armed track to be selected.
I found an option to auto-arm a track on selection (in the options.txt file), which is interesting. It was actually the opposite I was thinking about: auto-selecting a track when arming it.

The main function I'm looking for is to let Automap follow my VST plugins. For example: I'm having a NI Organ on track 1, and a NI Rhodes on track 2.
When I switch the arm button from track 1 to track 2 (either by mouse or by controller), Automap (and my Impulse rotaries) are still controlling the NI Organ in track 1.
It is only when I open the VST GUI of the NI Rhodes on track 2 that Automap switches, so that I can use the rotaries for the NI Rhodes.

Does this problem sound familiar? Thanks for the quick answer anyway!
Karel

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

OhNoxius wrote:
mbakirov wrote: what firmware are you using?
I just have my Novation Impulse a couple of days, there was a firmware update right away when installing Automap 4.9, but I don't know what version I have now (how can I check?)
automap 4.9 is the latest 695 yes
OhNoxius wrote:
I found an option to auto-arm a track on selection (in the options.txt file), which is interesting. It was actually the opposite I was thinking about: auto-selecting a track when arming it.

The main function I'm looking for is to let Automap follow my VST plugins. For example: I'm having a NI Organ on track 1, and a NI Rhodes on track 2.
When I switch the arm button from track 1 to track 2 (either by mouse or by controller), Automap (and my Impulse rotaries) are still controlling the NI Organ in track 1.
It is only when I open the VST GUI of the NI Rhodes on track 2 that Automap switches, so that I can use the rotaries for the NI Rhodes.

Does this problem sound familiar? Thanks for the quick answer anyway!
Karel
yes makes sense but i could not find the time last year for that sorry :(
ableton python scripts development is really dodgy.

HardikV

Post by HardikV » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Hey! Thanks a lot for the script.
I use my impulse in live performances and the arm function with Shift + track mixer button is exactly what I was missing. Thanks!

Have you been able to work out the Auto-selecting track that is being armed function? If yes, that too would really help :)

Thanks for this again.

- Hardik

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:12 pm

HardikV wrote:Hey! Thanks a lot for the script.
I use my impulse in live performances and the arm function with Shift + track mixer button is exactly what I was missing. Thanks!

Have you been able to work out the Auto-selecting track that is being armed function? If yes, that too would really help :)

Thanks for this again.

- Hardik
hey mate sorry did not have time for it yet :(

thanks for your comment! I really appreciate that someone gives a damn about what I have done.

chauvin

Post by chauvin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:19 am

I use your script everyday, overnight in the studio, and the impulse (Novation has completely forget theirs users since a long time) is very useful now with that : thanks you for your works !

Cheers for that

https://soundcloud.com/themtc
© theMTC

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:47 am

chauvin wrote:I use your script everyday, overnight in the studio, and the impulse (Novation has completely forget theirs users since a long time) is very useful now with that : thanks you for your works !

Cheers for that

https://soundcloud.com/themtc
thank you so much!

esmtuh

Post by esmtuh » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks a lot for this amazing script :D

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:20 am

esmtuh wrote:Thanks a lot for this amazing script :D
thank you!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:38 am

mbakirov wrote:new version.

Known issues that are not possible to fix
After moving tracks or banks with shift+smth shift is considered to be pressed.
the reason is that Impulse does not send a ShiftOff message after these operations. This cannot be fixed in a script, this is in Impulse hardware level.
Pressin shift + (mutes/solos) flip button leds to unpredictable results.

Workaround for all this is to press Shift on and off one extra time.

Enjoy!
just to let you guys know i guess this issue was fixed with firmware 695

asuccar

Post by asuccar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:58 pm

woowww thank you so much. I was looking for this option on my novation impulse 61. Thank you so much. I read all your posts on this forum and in novation's forum. It is a great work you have done. Thank you very very much!! I'll give you some feedback once I use your script, but for now, I can tell it is working great.

see ya and greetings from Colombia

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:18 am

asuccar wrote:woowww thank you so much. I was looking for this option on my novation impulse 61. Thank you so much. I read all your posts on this forum and in novation's forum. It is a great work you have done. Thank you very very much!! I'll give you some feedback once I use your script, but for now, I can tell it is working great.

see ya and greetings from Colombia
thank you so much!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:55 pm

new from 2016.10.02
Now if the only one track is armed via impulse, it automatically gets selected

Note - it gets selected when you depress the arm button. So when you press it, the track is armed but not selected yet.
Long story why it is, it was just simpler - i was analyzing the selected tracks and i got the armed tracks setup properly once I depress the button.

tested on 9.5

Note - version for 9.1 is not updated as I do not have capacity to install and support this version, so use the Novation_Impulse2 folder.

Note - there is an old behaviour from original script, when the track got automatically armed, if it can be armed, it has clips playing and the song is playing. I have kept this logic, though I do not like it.

As usual, any comments are welcome.

Oh, is anyone having an issue with getting files from github? should I provide more convenient location?
anyone who would love to try the script let me know what you think please!

Cheers!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 am

Anyone keen to try?
Anyone still using impulse yet?

mbakirov

Re: Novation Impulse enhanced scripts

Post by mbakirov » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Allright. tried to play with a band using only impulse and computer.
I think that "arm" needs a "latching" mode.

the way i see it - if you press shift and mute/solo buttons, the mixer keys stays as "arm" keys unless you press shift and mute/solo button again.

makes sense? would it be good?