Novation Impulse enhanced scripts -live performance and arm

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
St0RM53

Re: Novation Impulse scripts - added overdub,arm selected track

Post by St0RM53 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello again. I got my account activated today. So i'm transferring the posts from the novation forums here which is more official:

Privet mate! I was going to post this in the Ableton forums where you are more active but my account there has not been activated yet.
Anyways, i'm new to music production and i've only got an impulse 61 a few days ago and i have been playing with it only to find out basic daw functions are missing. I saw your script before when i was reasearching for a controller before my purchase and i have tested it today. Everything works so much better. Although i have some questions/suggestions (which i know you mentioned some):

1) I'm running latest impulse fw and live 9.1. When you use the stock script you can shift tracks up and down and it will automatically arm themselves (single track only). From past posts was this feature actually recently implemented? Yours works so much better thanks

2) When you perform some of your functions there is no need to press again the shift key to deactivate where in others you have to press it again. Did novation implemented something here? Can't you force the script to send a shift key off cc message back to solve this?

3) In your script when you press mixer 9/master button it activates overdub. In live i see the "session record button" lit in orange (activate). Normally if you press it with the mouse it will actually start recording session clips. In your script it doesn't activate recording/and-or record session clips like when you press it with the mouse. Is this a separate/different function? And if yes, can you implement session record button activation?? I'm new to Live so i don't know much, but i find it theoretically useful for jamming down ideas live.

4) The last thing i think is extremely important and has been left out are the pads. You have 8 pads, and 16 available in the drums instruments in live. I know the pads send a note message C3,D3...to C4. Can you implement a button that will "change banks" by flipping the pads notes 8 notes up and down??

Thank you very much!
TnF wrote:

I saw your script before when i was reasearching for a controller before my purchase and i have tested it today.

:) novation might owe a royality to me :) (just joking )
Actually they should. This is damn easy for them to implement but i guess programmers are not players. They told what they should program.

Hi ! Thanks!

1) I did not change behaviout of the stock script here. It does this on some ocasion (i think if you are recording or something). Sometimes it does this sometimes it does not.

but you can use option.txt file and -EnableArmOnSelection option. so your single selection is always armed.

2) I can do nothing but wait for novation. the bug report has been sent to them. i have no idea when you have finished switching tracks and banks.

3) there is a setting in ableton on record/wrp/launch page caused "start transport with record". on my machine it is always off. i have just tested and see what you mean.

yes this might be a bug. in a meanwhile you can press record and then play.

4) i do not think it is possible. i will explain. the buttons are just notes. the script tells ableton to treat these notes as

the default drum rack pads. So if you press the same notes on the keyboard they will also behave like pads.

(it is not possible to distinguish pads from notes).

so if I change the pads behaviour (even if I could) then your normal keys will also behave strange.

the only option we might think of is assign the buttons to some very high or very low octave so they are not used in reality and then maybe it would be possible to implement that.

but then you will have to modify your default live preset.

thanks!
1. Thanks. This is a handy tip if i ever wanna do this. Maybe it might be useful when you are performing live and you want to make sure that you don't select two tracks at once by mistake.
2. Yeah wait for novation :p At least they update automap once in a while.
3. I've made this little video to explain what i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiJSs1EbVc The option in the ableton settings just doesn't start the recording until you hit play. What i'm talking about is when you click that little icon with the mouse. Can you map a button on the keyboard to do this?
4. Yes that's correct but there is possibility of them functioning interdependently from the keyboard as they can perform different functions than the keys. I know this is internal but are you sure you can't modify it through the script? Or at least do something (i'm not sure of the possibilities using script only)

Thanks again!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:14 am

3. I've made this little video to explain what i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiJSs1EbVc The option in the ableton settings just doesn't start the recording until you hit play. What i'm talking about is when you click that little icon with the mouse. Can you map a button on the keyboard to do this?
yeah that is exactly what I thought. Just could you check the stock script please? if it has the same problem?

4. Yes that's correct but there is possibility of them functioning interdependently from the keyboard as they can perform different functions than the keys. I know this is internal but are you sure you can't modify it through the script? Or at least do something (i'm not sure of the possibilities using script only)
well, I do not know how to reprogram button messages from the keyboard. We might distinguish them if they are on some specific channel maybe.
But I would prefer not to mess with changing default mapping as I have a little hop that at some point of time novation might take my script and install it with their automap. And they will not do it if it will require some not-default settings on the controller. Think that they have already shipped tons of controllers so...

I believe they are more busy with the question "how can we keep the sales after behringer has announced motor?". And script for some specific program is normally not the sale increase factor :(

Thanks again!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:15 am

Also I have no time for that but maybe you could record a video of my script features? :)

P.S. I am actually a guitarist and a software developer.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:24 am

I dunno, but I'm thankful for this. I've increased my live workflow considerably (yes, even with push) with this.

My thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 am

1) and about 1 i was actuall thinking of opposite.
not to arm selected track (ableton has an option for that)

but select the armed track..

do you see the difference?

so you could press shift and arm the single track. it becomes recorded and selected.

if you record two or more at the same time, do nothing.

(not implemented yet, just thinking of this feature)

P.S.
and yes, you can arm 2,3,4 and more tracks with my script.
just push button and push another one while keeping the first pushed.
it might be handy if you have 2 keyboards playing 2 instruments, or one of them is send to layer 2 of VB3, or one is guitar and another is a midi controller that send commands to guitar rig.

St0RM53

Post by St0RM53 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 am

mbakirov wrote:
yeah that is exactly what I thought. Just could you check the stock script please? if it has the same problem?

well, I do not know how to reprogram button messages from the keyboard. We might distinguish them if they are on some specific channel maybe.
But I would prefer not to mess with changing default mapping as I have a little hop that at some point of time novation might take my script and install it with their automap. And they will not do it if it will require some not-default settings on the controller. Think that they have already shipped tons of controllers so...

I believe they are more busy with the question "how can we keep the sales after behringer has announced motor?". And script for some specific program is normally not the sale increase factor :(

Thanks again!
3. The stock script doesn't have such a function if i am aware of? Maybe i'll check later.

4. Can you actually change the pads notes inside the ableton script? And even if that was the problem they can do a firmware update. Unless the pads are hard-wired with the keys

I saw these motorized keyboards at NAMM. Looks pretty good and actually decent price but i couldn't wait, and either way we have to wait for reviews first. Plus when motors start failing will be the problem (as i read in the past)
Also I have no time for that but maybe you could record a video of my script features? :)

I could if i had time but it won't be professional. Nor i have much practical knowledge on these. I only got the hardware like a week ago, and never taught to play the piano (which is one reason i got it since i like it). On top of these i'm a mechanical engineering student doing my masters at them moment finishing in a couple of months, and i still don't know what to do with my life. Add regular fitness/bodybuilding/weightlifting 10 hours per week and i hardly have time for anything.

so you could press shift and select the track. it becomes recorded and selected.

P.S.
it might be handy if you have 2 keyboards playing 2 instruments, or one of them is send to layer 2 of VB3, or one is guitar and another is a midi controller that send commands to guitar rig.
I know about this. I thought you understood i prefer it to the stock script.

Anyways, i've actually have some process. Firstly i'm running Live 9.1.1 (in case they've changed something) and the most updated version of your script from github.
So actually your 'Overdub' function works. But not as overdub in Live's "MIDI arrangement overdub" sense which is the small '+' button at the top. What your script does is what i was initially looking for. As i said before if you click the small "Session record button" which is the 'o' at the top, it will automatically start recording into the session clips at the scene row selected. When you press the master button on the impulse, it will only PARTIALLY ACTIVATE IT! i.e. It will not start recording into the clip, unless you put impulse in ableton launch clip mode and press on the pad representing your track (i.e. 1st pad=1st track, 2nd pad=2nd track etc.) This is was exactly what i was looking for. Now let's talk about the real overdub button ("MIDI arrangement overdub" '+') There is no button assigned to this, maybe you can add one.

Also a last relevant Ableton question. When recording in a clip loop any notes added while playing on the keyboard will be added until you stop the clip recording. Is there any quick way to record over it while it overwrites automatically what you are playing over the old clip notes, without having to delete the whole clip? Like how it is in the arrangement when the "MIDI arrangement overdub" is deactivated?

Thanks again!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 am

St0RM53 wrote:
mbakirov wrote:

Thanks again!
3. The stock script doesn't have such a function if i am aware of? Maybe i'll check later.

4. Can you actually change the pads notes inside the ableton script? And even if that was the problem they can do a firmware update. Unless the pads are hard-wired with the keys

I saw these motorized keyboards at NAMM. Looks pretty good and actually decent price but i couldn't wait, and either way we have to wait for reviews first. Plus when motors start failing will be the problem (as i read in the past)

I could if i had time but it won't be professional. Nor i have much practical knowledge on these. I only got the hardware like a week ago, and never taught to play the piano (which is one reason i got it since i like it). On top of these i'm a mechanical engineering student doing my masters at them moment finishing in a couple of months, and i still don't know what to do with my life. Add regular fitness/bodybuilding/weightlifting 10 hours per week and i hardly have time for anything.

so you could press shift and select the track. it becomes recorded and selected.

P.S.
I know about this. I thought you understood i prefer it to the stock script.

Anyways, i've actually have some process. Firstly i'm running Live 9.1.1 (in case they've changed something) and the most updated version of your script from github.
So actually your 'Overdub' function works. But not as overdub in Live's "MIDI arrangement overdub" sense which is the small '+' button at the top. What your script does is what i was initially looking for. As i said before if you click the small "Session record button" which is the 'o' at the top, it will automatically start recording into the session clips at the scene row selected. When you press the master button on the impulse, it will only PARTIALLY ACTIVATE IT! i.e. It will not start recording into the clip, unless you put impulse in ableton launch clip mode and press on the pad representing your track (i.e. 1st pad=1st track, 2nd pad=2nd track etc.) This is was exactly what i was looking for. Now let's talk about the real overdub button ("MIDI arrangement overdub" '+') There is no button assigned to this, maybe you can add one.
as I've said it s not a partial activation. If you check ableton option "start transport with record" then this button will have no difference to clicking with the mouse.

St0RM53 wrote:
Also a last relevant Ableton question. When recording in a clip loop any notes added while playing on the keyboard will be added until you stop the clip recording. Is there any quick way to record over it while it overwrites automatically what you are playing over the old clip notes, without having to delete the whole clip? Like how it is in the arrangement when the "MIDI arrangement overdub" is deactivated?

Thanks again!

Mixer 9 in my script, isn't it what we discussed in the issue above?.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:34 am

man, ping me in skype
login = mbakirov

i could show what i have.

St0RM53

Post by St0RM53 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 am

In my Ableton settings "Start transport with recording" is selected and it still behaves different than when you click it with the mouse and when you activate it via the keyboard. Either way i prefer it this way.

Yes i understand it is called overdub. Is there a way to disable it during session clip recording?

And what about the Arrangement overdub button? Will you add a button for this function?
man, ping me in skype
login = mbakirov

i could show what i have.
I will add you but i'll have to go to sleep now. Either way i perfectly understand what i'm talking about. Maybe something behaves differently on my system? I don't see what is the problem.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:10 pm

i have mean to say

" If you UNcheck ableton option "start transport with record" then this button will have no difference to clicking with the mouse.
"

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:20 pm

probably will have some time later on to improve some things.

That I really miss desperatly is device naviagion.

I am thinking of the modes that would be switched with shift+loop buttons.

In one of the mode shift+arrows (the one that switch scenes in clip launch) would navigate between devices.

what do you think? Is it usefull?

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:28 pm

about

4) The last thing i think is extremely important and has been left out are the pads. You have 8 pads, and 16 available in the drums instruments in live. I know the pads send a note message C3,D3...to C4. Can you implement a button that will "change banks" by flipping the pads notes 8 notes up and down??
is there any device that can do it? I could look at the script then.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 pm

oh!

Now I see about arrangement overdub.

But the things is that we are out of the free buttons...
I could put it on Shift+mixer9 but then we will miss the automation arm...

What do you think?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Good question. For me personally I'd probably use the automation arm more.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 am

eyeknow wrote:Good question. For me personally I'd probably use the automation arm more.

what we can do is make the script customizable.

put some options in one place in the begining
so you can choose..