Novation Impulse enhanced scripts -live performance and arm

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbakirov

Re: Novation Impulse enhanced scripts

Post by mbakirov » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:59 pm

mbakirov wrote:Allright. tried to play with a band using only impulse and computer.
I think that "arm" needs a "latching" mode.

the way i see it - if you press shift and mute/solo buttons, the mixer keys stays as "arm" keys unless you press shift and mute/solo button again.

makes sense? would it be good?
ok. mute/solo button is not accessible.

Now Shift+Loop enters "permanent recording" mode.

mbakirov

Re: Novation Impulse enhanced scripts

Post by mbakirov » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:27 pm

another update.
in this "permanent" recording mode, when buttons are always armed, if you press shift and press the button, then it will NOT be automatically selected.

so auto select only works
in normal mode when shift is pressed (you need this for arming).
in alternative mode when shift is NOT pressed.

Cheers.

OhNoxius

Re: Novation Impulse enhanced scripts -live performance and arm

Post by OhNoxius » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 pm

thanks again for the updates Marat.
The auto-select works nice..the thing is that the encoders don't follow.
When switching (armed) tracks with the mixer buttons, the sound changes but I still can't control the vst-parameters with the encoders (both in plugin mode as in Automap mode). It sticks to controlling the track that was last manually selected (either with the mouse or with the shift+transpose button).

To be clear, I use Ableton to play live synthesizers.

cheers
Karel

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:27 am

OhNoxius wrote:thanks again for the updates Marat.
When switching (armed) tracks with the mixer buttons, the sound changes but I still can't control the vst-parameters with the encoders (both in plugin mode as in Automap mode). It sticks to controlling the track that was last manually selected (either with the mouse or with the shift+transpose button).

cheers
Karel
Hi Karel. Thank you for the feedback. I honestly thought no one is using the scrtipt. As for he issue you have mentioned, well I do not remember any of this. But the way I do control synthesizers is I am not using automap or plugin mode. I am mapping 8 parameters that I need into the rack (so they are always first 8 params) and in this case the encoders looked fine.

I will try to double check this (maybe tonight). In a meanwhile if you could record a video of what is going on it might help us to be on the same page.

Thanks again for using the script!

P.S. I tried to use it during rehearsals and here is how I came to this Shift+Loop - record latching mode. So in this mode mixer buttons become record buttons straight away. I found it might be challenging to let your 2 hands out of keyboard, cause you might be, let us say. holding a pad and precisely at the end of the bar you want to switch to the piano... So one hand operation is way easier...

OhNoxius

Post by OhNoxius » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:36 am

Yes the Shift+Loop - record latching mode is great! thanks for that
I disbanded Automap mode for now, too much of a hassle, but plugin mode is nice in Ableton because it can automatically map the 8 encoders to vst parameters :)
I will do my best to make a video!
see u around

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 am

You can achieve the same thing by creating a rack and then mapping your plugin Param's to the eight knobs in the rack (macro parameters). This is the way it works for me and I am sure the knobs were controlling the right track.
Also be sure you do not have the thing called "lock to control surface"

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 am

So I do not really use plugin mode - I do ableton mode and there were no problems there.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:07 am

Also...
the auto select only works if a single track is armed.
if there is more than one nothing is happening...

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Not sure if anyone gives a damn about this project, but...
I have made a few bugfixing.

First - now all mixed buttons by default get into mute mode. Before they were entering the arm mode and taht was a bug.

Second - apparently pressing the LOOP button even without Shift were entering the alternative assigment mode (that basically means mixer buttons become record buttons without shift). Now it is made the way it was planned - Shift and Loop has to be pressed.

Enjoy!

If anyone is using my script, please leave a comment. I have a feeling that my work is for nothing...

lucaspottersky

Post by lucaspottersky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:05 am

mbakirov wrote: If anyone is using my script, please leave a comment. I have a feeling that my work is for nothing...
I'm not using, but I appreciate your effort, buddy. I came here after searching for a way to "Select" & "Arm Record" a Track using Impulse... but then I found the "EnableArmOnSelection" option (https://www.ableton.com/answers/auto-ar ... ted-tracks). Not ideal though, but giving it a try.
Please support my Feature Request: loop record (cycle record) in Ableton Live

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:49 am

lucaspottersky wrote:
mbakirov wrote: If anyone is using my script, please leave a comment. I have a feeling that my work is for nothing...
I'm not using, but I appreciate your effort, buddy. I came here after searching for a way to "Select" & "Arm Record" a Track using Impulse... but then I found the "EnableArmOnSelection" option (https://www.ableton.com/answers/auto-ar ... ted-tracks). Not ideal though, but giving it a try.
Hi, thanks for that!

Apparently Novation snadard script does auto arm on certain circumstances (if you do track selection with shift+octave buttons). I think the project should be playing in some form (not stopped) and there was something else....

asuccar

Post by asuccar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 am

Hi! I'm using your script and it is awesome. thank you very much!!

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:21 am

asuccar wrote:Hi! I'm using your script and it is awesome. thank you very much!!
you are most welcome!

brenttauro

Post by brenttauro » Tue May 16, 2017 10:26 am

Hey

I was wondering if you could record a video of you, demonstrating your script step by step. After reading through the thread, I am a little confused. Would really appreciate it. Thanks. :)

OhNoxius

Post by OhNoxius » Tue May 16, 2017 1:56 pm

mbakirov wrote:
OhNoxius wrote:thanks again for the updates Marat.

cheers
Karel
Hi Karel. Thank you for the feedback. I honestly thought no one is using the scrtipt. As for he issue you have mentioned, well I do not remember any of this. But the way I do control synthesizers is I am not using automap or plugin mode. I am mapping 8 parameters that I need into the rack (so they are always first 8 params) and in this case the encoders looked fine.

I will try to double check this (maybe tonight). In a meanwhile if you could record a video of what is going on it might help us to be on the same page.

Thanks again for using the script!

P.S. I tried to use it during rehearsals and here is how I came to this Shift+Loop - record latching mode. So in this mode mixer buttons become record buttons straight away. I found it might be challenging to let your 2 hands out of keyboard, cause you might be, let us say. holding a pad and precisely at the end of the bar you want to switch to the piano... So one hand operation is way easier...
Hi mbakirov,

I finally made a video of my problem. Thanks anyway for your work, I hope you understand what I mean in the video: auto-select on arming :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljq637dTvBY

cheers!
Karel