Receiving sync signal disables midi output

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ManuelRodrigues

Receiving sync signal disables midi output

Post by ManuelRodrigues » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I've been doing some testing and I noticed something strange:

The situation:
The master live session is running and sending sync signal over network. The slave live session is not running and the EXT sync button is disabled but it receives the sync signal. Then I activate the EXT sync button on the slave session. I leave the master session running for about 10 seconds. The slave session receives the sync date but does not start running because it did not get the play command. Then I stop the master session.
When ever the above described sequence happens the midi output of the midi interface connected to the slave computer is temporarily disabled. If I then start the master session the slave session follows the lead like expected. I then leave the two sessions running in sync and the midi output of the interface starts working again after about 20/25 seconds...

Even more surprising: I start the master session which is sending sync signal, then hit the EXT sync button on the slave session and leave it like this for a minute. Then I stop and start the master session and the slave follows again. Again the midi output of the midi interface is temporarily disabled but this time works again after 2:45 minutes... Hmmmm...
I've tested this with two separate midi interfaces with more or less the same result. The only difference was in the amount of time the midi output was disabled. My main midi interface is the Motu micro express. It's a very recent and capable midi interface.

You might ask yourself: why research this? Well, hypothetically the sync link between the two sessions could be (temporarily) broken and thus resulting in the situation described above...

Does anybody have any idea what this is and how I can prevent the disabling of the midi output?

Hope you can help!

ManuelRodrigues

Re: Receiving sync signal disables midi output

Post by ManuelRodrigues » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:05 am

No reaction at all!?