Live Lite 7 upgrade?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ducknoir

Live Lite 7 upgrade?

Post by ducknoir » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:33 pm

I've recently resurrected an audio interface I bought in 2008. It came with Live Lite 6, and shortly after that, I took advantage of a free upgrade to Live Lite 7.

I'd like to upgrade to a newer version, mainly because I'm finding plugins that I'd like to try that require 8. When I go to the Ableton upgrade page http://www.ableton.com/en/shop/, it looks like the only option I have is to "upgrade" to Live 9 Standard for USD $379. I can probably also buy Live 9 Intro from a 3rd party retailer for $99, but the Ableton page has that option grayed out. I'm wondering if Ableton would let me register Live 9 Standard?

Of course I'd love to get a free upgrade to Live Lite 8, but it looks like that's not an option.

Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks.

Allan

ttilberg

Re: Live Lite 7 upgrade?

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 am

You should definitely contact support if you haven't already. They seem like pretty reasonable people when I've had issues in the past with somewhat similar situations.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

mots

Post by mots » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 am

don't buy live 9 intro !

For the same price buy a launchpadmini which comes bundled with a Live9 intro licence.

then use the launchpad, or if you dont want it give it to a friend :)

i think live 8 is not on sale anymore so they wont offer upgrade to that version. it kind of makes sense.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, that's a good tip!

Here's another:

Korg NanoPad/Kontrol/Etc2 are less than $50 on Amazon, and come with a $50 certificate for Ableton. Another instance of a "free controller" if you are planning on getting into Live.

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-nanoKONTROL2 ... B004M8UZS8
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

ducknoir

Post by ducknoir » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 am

OK I was gifted a Lite 9 license. Looks OK, but it's a bit confusing trying to figure out which features and instruments have been allowed in different versions. At the moment I'm trying to figure out if they decided to disable Groove entirely in Lite 9. Not a deal-breaker for what I'm doing, but it was fun to play with in Lite 7 and (demo) 8.

I was doing OK with both licensed Lite 7 and demo 8 installed simultaneously, but the Lite 9 install seems to have messed up 8. Bummer. I'd still like to have an 8 Lite license to play with. Maybe I'll break down and buy a new interface - the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra is buggy -- often blue screens when I unplug the USB.

BTW I sent Ableton support a message about a week ago and haven't heard back from them at all.

Thanks all.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:06 am

I'd recommend sidestepping the Fast Track.

The advice about buying a launch pad to get Live seems like the best option to me. I originally got live with an M-Audio Axiom 25 and followed the upgrade path from 5.5 to 7 Suite. I ended up saving a good bit o loot going that route.