The Mac computing efficiency tips mega-thread

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
zigzag

Re: The Mac computing efficiency tips mega-thread

Post by zigzag » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:11 am

I thought this was a Music & Audio Production forum... Shouldn't this be elaborated elsewhere?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am

I like to set my buffer low and make music. Until which point it starts to get all crackly, then I raise my buffer.

Also, I love using ctrl-opt-cmd-eject.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:09 pm

if you press the space bar 11 times while holding down ctrl + shift + S + T + F + U it might make it stop

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

IMO anyway this isn't that big of a deal. Funken may be self promoting here a bit, but if half the computer users get some tips out of it so what?

This is a new one to me, I haven't tested it yet, but it could answer a lot of spike issues in OSX!

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/ ... mF1fRbOvdl

I haven't tried it mainly because I would rather write an Automator script to turn this on and off first as I find Spotlight useful.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Don't see how it would? Spotlight is an indexing system not a part of the process of saving files?

Mostly people have had spiking problems with various DAWs on OSX and this seems like it might be a solution. Not going to be able to play around with it until tomorrow night at the earliest myself though.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 pm

what's the most efficient way to shut down a Mac?
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote:what's the most efficient way to shut down a Mac?
don't pay your electric bill.

0 mouse clicks.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:58 pm

8O
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Cmd-d not ie 'don't' not working for you?

Funk N. Furter wrote:Ok I'll start with closing the Text Edit window after you've used it but don't want to save anything, but you can use this for all sorts of apps. Using ?W or ?Q gets you to a box asking you if you want to save it.

Two boxes are highlighted. The name box has a blue line around it and 'Save' is coloured blue. Note that you have two highlighted boxes, a source of potential confusion obviously. But you don't want either of them in this scenario.

So what's the quickest and easiest way to close this window and the Text Edit window itself without saving (i.e. preferably without needing the mouse or trackpad)?

Answer: press the tab key four times and then press the space-bar. If you press the Enter key it will think you want to save it. 'Enter' works for the coloured box, spacebar works on the one with the coloured line around it.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:00 pm

the fastest way to exit out of most dialog boxes is to simply press Escape.

and holding down the power button to shut down your Mac is only something you should do if the Mac has hung and you need to hard reboot it. the full Control+Option+Command+Eject shutdown shortcut is the one you should use, as it basically initiates a normal shutdown.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Holding the power button down basically forces OSX to shut down, seems to me the Control, Option, Command, Escape method also skips OSX shut down procedures? Hitting the power button once quickly initiates the shutdown dialog and is my preferred method.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:47 pm

nope, the Control+Option+Command+Eject sequence does the same thing as selecting shutdown from the dialog.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:the fastest way to exit out of most dialog boxes is to simply press Escape.

This does not help you close a window such as Text Edit's. Escape only gets rid of the Save dialogue window, you're still left with the Text Edit window.
ah, wasn't paying attention. the fastest way to ditch an unwanted TextEdit document is to hit Command + Delete in the save dialog.

also, to get the Tab key to scoot between all the controls in a dialog box you need to turn that preference on in the Keyboard section of the System Preferences.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 am

fishmonkey wrote:nope, the Control+Option+Command+Eject sequence does the same thing as selecting shutdown from the dialog.
When I did it, it simply shut the computer down as if I held the Power button down for a few seconds, with no dialogue box.
Funk N. Furter wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Hitting the power button once quickly initiates the shutdown dialog and is my preferred method.
Not on my iMac, hitting the power button sends it to sleep.
On the Mac Pro hitting the power button comes in three flavors, once quickly asks you if you want to shut down your computer, for a second puts it to sleep and for a few seconds shuts it down. The laptops behave differently. Might because the Mac Pro makes such distinct noises related to these functions that it was possible to assign different things to them? dunno?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:nope, the Control+Option+Command+Eject sequence does the same thing as selecting shutdown from the dialog.
When I did it, it simply shut the computer down as if I held the Power button down for a few seconds, with no dialogue box.
the shortcut bypasses the dialog box, and does a normal shutdown.