Making my own Studiomonitors! (amplifier, soundcard)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

TomViolenz

Re: Making my own Studiomonitors! (amplifier, soundcard)

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:15 pm

fjettolf wrote:yeah, dont know what im doing. But im following a list, and the result should be ok acording to several ppl. Now, when it comes to the mm and cm on the box... and the material and angles and all that I have no clue. But all i know is that i dont know what colouring is and Im pretty sure i will be happy. After what i have heard the room im sitting in, temperature and even the materials my wall floor and roof is made of is far more important than my speakers (monitors are for studio creating a true picture of the sound?) speakers should play the sound with some more bass and stuff. Thats my understanding. But shouldnt have to teach me all this stuff. I just wanna know about a amplifier that would suit my speakers (monitors?) I would be very happy if you could tell me when im going to need a new soundcard to. :)
But you have to be aware that the end result (while it may sound nice if you do a good job) will only be a powered speaker not a monitor.
Because getting rid of the coloring is actually the hard part. (Your description speaker/monitor is correct)
I do welcome people taking things into their own hands, but getting into monitor design should not be done to save a few bucks. It will be a hobby in itself. Music making will probably end up on the back burner. If you are very talented you may get to something that would be break even in cost/value terms by the 5th pair you create. If you are still there by pair 50, contact me I might be interested in buying ;-)
Regarding your question though: you chose a difficult endeavor.... you do the legwork!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

BTW: I think there are specialized forums for this hobby. You should find those and lurk their forums for a while, before you ask questions. (So you don't embarrass yourself among your new companions, and believe me, they will be companions by the time you finally made your first usable monitor set, optimistically by pair 5)
The Ableton forum is not the best starting place for your new hobby.

As to the sound card: I say it again, the sound card is not part of the monitor set. And a last tip: don't start building anything, before you understand at least this fact!

fjettolf

Post by fjettolf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 pm

I dont care if im embarresing myself. Do you know who fjettolf is? ill just make another account or something :) So what would you choose to have between the jack in your labtop and a pair of sweet speakers? They will atleast be decent...

Can I use something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Bl ... nd+blaster

or even this?

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Bl ... nd+blaster

(just tell me if it is possible and it will sound decent and not destroy anything)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm

fjettolf wrote:I dont care if im embarresing myself. Do you know who fjettolf is? ill just make another account or something :)
The NSA certainly does :evil:

As to your other questions: I don't really feel like doing your work for you (and it would be the same work, as I don't think I know much more about this topic than you do).
Maybe someone else feels differently about this, or already has all the info to point you to...
Me? I'm gonna make some music now ;-)
Wish you all the luck with your new hobby, and don't forget to PM me when you have constructed your 50th pair...;-) (and not one day earlier please!)

fjettolf

Post by fjettolf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Ass far ass i know NSA might like to watch me masturbate through my web cam...

Found the aplifier

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tr ... 516&sr=1-1

Thanks for linking me in the right direction guys!

Ill post a picture maybe. But you will never find out about the sound.. :?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

fjettolf wrote:Ill post a picture maybe. But you will never find out about the sound.. :?

That is a real shame.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 pm

your confidence is great, just keep an open mind as you learn.

I too am cringing as I read this but what the hell, go for it.

as I went through the electrical engineering program every one of us had HUGE ideas on making our own effects. the bottom line is that you end up spending nearly as much for something not built or polished as well. I'd also rather spend my time making music over doing what I do for a living at home.

I've never heard home built speakers that sounds good. in a year or three when you realize that you'll be stuck with them because nobody will want to buy them.

how do we know all this? because your question is a good one and your passion is shared by many before you.

what the hell... go for it, fcuk the naysayers (there will be many.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:36 pm

This either a troll sheme or it's Blendton.There is no other explanation.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:42 pm

fjettolf wrote:Ass far ass i know NSA might like to watch me masturbate through my web cam...

Found the aplifier

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tr ... 516&sr=1-1

Thanks for linking me in the right direction guys!

Ill post a picture maybe. But you will never find out about the sound.. :?
Sure, keep us posted (Make a thread about it)
If you really manage to learn how to build good monitors, it could be a valuable resource.
Good luck :-)

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 pm

made these myself bro
aint lettin no one tell me nutttin i cant do
for real doe

The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 pm

btw I think you should go ahead and do it for the learning experience. You may not save money but you will have some monitors that you made yourself. I dont see how it would be a failure If you are following instructions when it comes to building the cab. If I was trying to come up with my own design I would study other cabinet design's first.
If you want to build something build it. Its not impossible to build good sounding studio monitors yourself. This is low tech.....wood and speakers . If you are wanting to build your own computer monitor I could see that being a little more challenging.
I think you should buy a set of pre built monitors first though.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 pm

nathannn wrote: I think you should buy a set of pre built monitors first though.
+1
How would you otherwise even know what to aim for?!

fjettolf

Post by fjettolf » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 am

Im making speakers. Dunno why i should make something else than a square box. Most speakers ive seen are square. Some monitors have some round corners like the krk. dont think its too much math involved ( too many unknown factors and variables). Mostly its trying and failing. When the time is right, finacially. Ill maybe make something for the sub. A litle more expensive that one.

Thanks for the help and i will tell you what i think of the soundquality later.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 am

fjettolf wrote:Im making speakers. Dunno why i should make something else than a square box. Most speakers ive seen are square. Some monitors have some round corners like the krk. dont think its too much math involved ( too many unknown factors and variables). Mostly its trying and failing. When the time is right, finacially. Ill maybe make something for the sub. A litle more expensive that one.

Thanks for the help and i will tell you what i think of the soundquality later.
Ehm, I think we are talking about the space INSIDE the box.........;-)