Live devices mapping in Push:Community mapping is done! :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: Undocumented Live device parameter names

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Ok there definitely needs to be more changes, it's giving errors to other scripts. I'll cut out banks past 8 and see if that helps.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 pm

shadx312 wrote:Ok there definitely needs to be more changes, it's giving errors to other scripts. I'll cut out banks past 8 and see if that helps.
Yeah, I could well imagine that 8 banks is the limit here... Too bad!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't think that's the issue, even with 8 banks it's the same.
It doesn't fly with others scripts in the framework.

For example:
80315 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

80316 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 426, in update_display

80317 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 50, in update

80317 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 238, in do_update

80318 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 50, in update

80319 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 146, in do_update

80320 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 546, in message

80320 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 51, in doit

80321 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 254, in set_appointed_device

80321 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "h:\Jenkins\live\Projects\AppWebConnector\Resources\third_party\lib\contextlib.py", line 33, in __exit__

80322 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 611, in component_guard

80324 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 254, in set_appointed_device

80324 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 134, in set_device

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 271, in update

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 399, in _assign_parameters

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 469, in _current_bank_details

80326 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 452, in _best_of_parameter_bank

80326 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Generic\Devices.py", line 539, in best_of_parameter_bank

80331 ms. RemoteScriptError:
80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: if not len(bobs) == 1:

80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: TypeError
80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: :
80333 ms. RemoteScriptError: object of type 'bool' has no len()
80334 ms. RemoteScriptError:
No more time to go on for now.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 pm

shadx312 wrote:I don't think that's the issue, even with 8 banks it's the same.
It doesn't fly with others scripts in the framework.

For example:
80315 ms. RemoteScriptError: Traceback (most recent call last):

80316 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 426, in update_display

80317 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 50, in update

80317 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 238, in do_update

80318 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 50, in update

80319 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\Task.py", line 146, in do_update

80320 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 546, in message

80320 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 51, in doit

80321 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 254, in set_appointed_device

80321 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "h:\Jenkins\live\Projects\AppWebConnector\Resources\third_party\lib\contextlib.py", line 33, in __exit__

80322 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 611, in component_guard

80324 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\ControlSurface.py", line 254, in set_appointed_device

80324 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 134, in set_device

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 271, in update

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 399, in _assign_parameters

80325 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 469, in _current_bank_details

80326 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Framework\DeviceComponent.py", line 452, in _best_of_parameter_bank

80326 ms. RemoteScriptError: File "MIDI Remote Scripts\_Generic\Devices.py", line 539, in best_of_parameter_bank

80331 ms. RemoteScriptError:
80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: if not len(bobs) == 1:

80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: TypeError
80332 ms. RemoteScriptError: :
80333 ms. RemoteScriptError: object of type 'bool' has no len()
80334 ms. RemoteScriptError:
No more time to go on for now.
Well, I also added one bank, as the original Analog map has only 7. Maybe adding banks, doesn't work either? When you have time again try the Arpeggiator one I posted. I added a bank there too.

Maybe it's something in the BoB bank, like it says in the last line of your log? (looks ok to me though...)
It worked yesterday for syncr so the general method should work. So it's either Syntax errors (And I was sooo careful :? ) or the bank adding.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 pm

I've been trying to get this to work. backed up and taken away the original devices.pyc (although this doesnt seem necessary as Live creates a new one when nothing is there), I've copied the text from github (and in this forum) just for the normal 8 bank devices, whilst renaming the extension of edited file to .py. My Push simply doesnt work at all with this. I've tried using the modified text as .pyc and still a dead Push. Everything is fine when I revert to the old .pyc file.

I am using Beta 9.22 though.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 pm

I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a better understanding of their framework, LOM, and python.

And just in case, by reading this you agree I am not liable for any damages caused to your software, computer, social, economic, marital, physical, mental, spiritual, etc problems that may have coincidentally seemed as a result of tinkering with Ableton software.
ImageImage

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 am

hahaha. Yeah...I'll try again once I'm more clued up.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 am

tedlogan wrote:I've been trying to get this to work. backed up and taken away the original devices.pyc (although this doesnt seem necessary as Live creates a new one when nothing is there), I've copied the text from github (and in this forum) just for the normal 8 bank devices, whilst renaming the extension of edited file to .py. My Push simply doesnt work at all with this. I've tried using the modified text as .pyc and still a dead Push. Everything is fine when I revert to the old .pyc file.

I am using Beta 9.22 though.
Syncr said he tried it with Live 9.05 and up to beta 9.1.2 something, and it worked.

I think if it is still so flaky, you all please try to first reproduce what worked. That is use the GitHub version and replace it with your file and see if that works as a first step. Then use the Sampler part in syncrs last post, where he stated he corrected all the Syntax errors and got it to work (just paste it directly into the file from GitHub).
If you got this to work please report back, because that would verify that the method works. (It would be best if several people could confirm success). Keep in mind that I had the suspicion that copying the code into the forum and back somehow introduced errors in spacing. So it could be that the Sampler code in his last post worked before he posted it into his post, but is now faulty after you need to copy it out of the forum into your editor so pay attention to that. I guess also this would be important to know.

As to this being difficult...I can't believe changing a damn list in some file should be sooo difficult. We can do it guys, I'm sure!!!
I just wish I could also do some of the testing myself...:-(

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:35 am

shadx312 wrote:I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a better understanding of their framework, LOM, and python.
I don't have any understanding of their frame work or Python, and don't even know what LOM stands for: yet I think I can do it!
And if syncr was right, it did succeed!
It's just changing a list, damnit.... :|

(Maybe adding banks and adding banks more than 8 was a little too ambitious though...?!)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:10 am

TomViolenz wrote:
shadx312 wrote:I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a better understanding of their framework, LOM, and python.
I don't have any understanding of their frame work or Python, and don't even know what LOM stands for: yet I think I can do it!

(Maybe adding banks and adding banks more than 8 was a little too ambitious though...?!)
Same here, yet I have modified .ini files and the like numerous times for various applications, and it is usually pretty straight forward. It is after all, just changing a list, so I must have a syntax error somewhere.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:30 am

tedlogan wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

Same here, yet I have modified .ini files and the like numerous times for various applications, and it is usually pretty straight forward. It is after all, just changing a list, so I must have a syntax error somewhere.
Do it step by step:
Does the file from GitHub work by its own?
Does it still work after you replaced the Sam_ part of the file with the code from syncrs last post?
Yes? Please report back (ANYONE please, we need confirmation!)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:34 am

Alright, I'll get out of bed and head to the desktop and try it all from scratch. I'll report back soon.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:35 am

BTW: the .pyc file that is created on start up is Live compiling your .py file. I don't know what would be the result if you left the original .pyc there, as it would have the same name after compiling. So it's def best to back it up and remove it from the folder, before you restart Live with your new devices.py!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:36 am

tedlogan wrote:Alright, I'll get out of bed and head to the desktop and try it all from scratch. I'll report back soon.

That's the spirit :D

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 am

TomViolenz wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Hey Tom when you're modifying the devices.py see if adding extra banks (like going past bank 8 on sampler) will work!

I know you can bank after 8 on vst's, so maybe you can use all accessible params by writing in extra banks...although maybe you'd have to modify other scripts that reference devices.py....
I think adding banks is trivial, I will do try it in some of my own custom mappings.
If adding banks past 8 is possible, I'm not so sure, I may try it for Sampler, but not before I actually have Push and try out it's behavior with the changed script. But the only thing lacking now from my mapping of 9 banks (8 + Best of Bank) are all the slopes for the envelopes. I have to try out how important that would be for me.
Besides having SOME restrictions is rather helping creativity.
But it shouldn't be too hard to verify if it'd work.
]]

OK live beta b23 - the text from Github has been copy pasted into a new text file, renamed to Devices.py (having removed the actual .txt extension that is hidden by default). Live and Push work fine, but has also created a new Devices.pyc file as it started up. You say this is just Live compiling the .py file, or is is Live not finding one, ignoring my .py file, and creating a new default one? Anyway, I'll edit my.py now with your edited sampler script.

Btw, I do hope more than 8 banks is possible with live devices - it is definitely possible with VSTs.