Mavericks crashes: anyone else?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3dot...

Re: Mavericks crashes: anyone else?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Supra3000 wrote:My 9.0.1 freezes the whole computer. Sometimes five minutes after opening a project, sometimes half an hour... There's nothing to do, if the session was playing when it freezes, then there's still sound, but the mouse and the keyboard are locked, and the cursor disapears. I need to turn my computer off manualy and restart it!
Why in the world would you be using 9.0.1 ?!

In any case.. it's not compatible with Mavericks...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:03 pm

do you guys having the indexing crashes have any external drives attached?

i ask because i'm thinking it might be best to fire up Live and let the index run on the computer first and then add the external storage later... maybe after a reboot.

just a thought.

Mavericks has been great so far for me.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 am

im doing pretty ok with mavericks. one thing i noticed, i was getting quick beach ball every once in a while, using plug ins (absynth and massive are my go tos).... that is new (since mavericks) but it's literally for a second, then everything is cool.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:32 am

^ have you used the Activity Minitor in Mavericks yet? It's been updated well and could help you identify your beach ball issue... Normally I would ask how much RAM you have with a post like that but RAM utilization is supposed to be improved.

djchez

Post by djchez » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 am

Any update on this?? I'm such a tool for updating to Mavricks i knew it would cause a problem why did i do it??? Freezing my entire mac after a few mins! Please let us know if there is a fix yet!!

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:03 am

H20nly wrote:^ have you used the Activity Minitor in Mavericks yet? It's been updated well and could help you identify your beach ball issue... Normally I would ask how much RAM you have with a post like that but RAM utilization is supposed to be improved.
ill have to check out activity monitor next time i work on a project. i admit, i haven't had too much of a chance to explore mavericks yet....but i used LIVE quite a bit last weekend (after updating)
i have 8GB of RAM, and my projects are usually between 8 to 12 tracks. i normally never have issues, even my little beach ball blip, isn't really a major problem, but it is new (post mavericks update)

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:48 am

update: its happening outside of LIVE now too. just a beachball blip sometimes when i click on stuff with my cursor
(hmmm i just recently started using a magic mouse too?)

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:49 am

problem solved...it was the mouse (bluetooth)

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:05 pm

FWIW, i've upgraded to Mavericks and audio glitches started to appear, with my FF400 as well as with the built-in soundcard.
they were short but pretty bad, since the audio wasn't only muted, it was getting out of sync.
switching back to Mountain Lion solved it.

that's on a 2011 MBP with 8GB of RAM.

i wouldn't advice to upgrade yet.

djstyle

Post by djstyle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm

i upgraded to Mavericks and Live 9.06 has frozen my MAC 4 times already. It happens when a project is playing and when I was zooming in and out of the tracks. Also while changing automation while playing. System completely freezes but the music still plays. Forced to hard boot.

I also noticed that my UAD VST plugins are not working now. If I open a project that contains UAD VST I get no sound output! I tested a brand new project with 1 loop, put a single UAD VST on the master buss and no audio output! Simply removing the plugin doesn't bring back audio to Live either. I am forced to close down, the Live project and restart Live before audio will output again. I tried the Precision Multiband, Fatso, Ampex VST versions. As soon as you add it to the project, no audio output. I tried using the Audio Unit versions and they did work but I always used VST before. Now I can't get any of my previous projects to play and have sound output.

Galt

Post by Galt » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:01 pm

For what it's worth, I've found the new iWorks to be bloody gorgeous, buuuuuuuut it is much slower at handling large files. Some of my more complex functions (+2000 characters) are no longer editable due to excessive lag. This seems to have an effect on other open apps, resulting in spinning beach balls and whatnot.

Out of curiosity, have you tried simply repairing permissions and restarting?

daichtrax

Post by daichtrax » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 pm

live has been remarkably stable compared to some other apps!

i have found that some vendors drivers responded catastrophically to Mavericks updates, so i took this chance to remove old / unused firewire/usb interface drivers and that has really helped.

looking fwd to 9.1 all the same...

ciuchka

Post by ciuchka » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:25 pm

When the system crashes (iMac), I`m "share screening" the frozen OS with a Macbook and at the exact moment when I move the cursor, it gets "de-freezed".

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

I also had freezes after using the browser.

The whole GUI (even OSX ) got un-clickable!

Spechal

Post by Spechal » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I've got a similar issue as the rest of you.

I've only experienced the system "locking" while using Ableton. It's always been while playing a track and zooming around it.

The track will continue playing but the system has to be shutdown hard.

Using Live Suite 9.0.6 x86 ... only started happening with Mavericks. :\

I will update to 9.1 beta and report back.