Mavericks crashes: anyone else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ShinyBaubles

Re: Mavericks crashes: anyone else?

Post by ShinyBaubles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:48 am

Okay guys, I've magically found a temporary fix for when this exact freeze happens (I.e. keyboard lock with sound still running and midi control). It's actually strangely simple. Use the force quit command (command+option+esc), but do not force quit the program. Instead, exit the force quit and viola! it may possibly run again and the mouse and keyboard should respond. This has worked 100% of the time on my system which is running the dreaded Mavericks OS. You all seem to be experiencing the same freeze that I am dealing with, so I hope that this helps a few of y'all out!

Edit: it looks like someone figured it out earlier in the thread as well.

Logeek

Post by Logeek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 am

Odd, my computer wouldn't regularly freeze up... but with OS X10.9 and Live 9.0.6- I couldn't access my iTunes music library- I thought maybe it was some evil Mac plot to keep us from tweaking our music, but with 9.1 beta, I can access iTunes...
My complaint is that Max for Live is R E A L L Y slow to boot... and everything with Live 9.1 beta is crazy slower than live 8... I think this has got to be mostly on Mavericks... though I really like some of the new features, all the apps are sometimes slow, sometimes really slow, and sometimes fast, and behaving like I imagine they're supposed to.... too eager to get the new toy syndrome, I confess...
Mac OS X Version 10.9.2 i-Mac 24"
Live 9.1.1 and Logic Pro 8
3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 4 Gb RAM
1 TB Hard Drive
Motu UltraLite MK3 A/D converter & Micro lite MIDI relay
2 dynaudio BM5A monitors
Nord Stage EX
Elektron Machinedrum sps-1UW+

adamsheridan

Post by adamsheridan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 am

Is there an update on this ? I've just bought a new mac book pro and it's come with mavericks already installed. Ableton 8 just completely freezes. Judging by the previous comments even if I upgrade to 9 this won't fix the problem. It's a good job I still have my old mac book pro to work from as I would be completely screwed. Have to say that I've been using Ableton since version 4 and I've always said it's the most solid program I've used. This isn't cool though, either Apple up to their usual tricks or its a fault at Ableton's end.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 am

Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm

My Macbook quadcore 2012 2.3 ghz with mavericks and Live 9.1 64bit freezes many, MANY times. At least twice everyday.
This sucks.

GemmaFurbank

Post by GemmaFurbank » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Has anybody found a fix for this problem at all?

I usually don't ever update my Mac until something has been out long enough for any problems to arise and be fixed. My fella updated my Mac a couple of weeks back, and now Ableton is annoying the shit out of me. My mouse vanishes (mouse pad), the tracks remain playing but the bloody thing is unresponsive.

I don't want to get to my gigs when doing Ableton Live sets, for it to mess up like this. I am not doing anything differently in Ableton than what I would normally do, and can't pin point a trigger for it to do this. It's randomly happening and driving me crazy!

ringo kid f

Post by ringo kid f » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi

I´m having problems with live 9.1 and the new OS maverick as well. Ableton wont launch or crashes. I spend 1 hour yesterday to open Live to check if my sound card I/O´s was working flawless, crash after crash.
Sometimes I get it to work if I go to a web side while it´s loading Live, I think I got that trick from this tread, no?

It might have to do with my MBP(2.66 Dou core, 4 BG) and the HD space. But I didn´t have these problems before the update,thu I was having 20 GB of work lying on the desktop.

Hope to have some more stability or ideas for better workarounds.

Anybody having these kind of problems with a newer MBP?

best and a nice weekend to you all

RKF
Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Live 9
Elektron OT & A4
OP-1
Shruthi-1
Hardware +

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:14 am

My specs are below.. this is getting to be a first class pain in the ass. I can't say if it's Mavericks or the Java update but it is rendering my Live Suite useless. I can play and record for 5-10 minutes and then my audio starts puttering, crackling and Lives tempo gets slower and slower. The CPU rapidly fluctuates 35-50. Very small set all midi and no audio tracks. What ever it is for sure one thing, Ableton and Apple are not on the same page. This is not acceptable and didn't expect it from either company which I'm a believer of.
Every time this happens I open the Activity Monitor and it shows "Ableton Index (Not Responding)" Has anyone checked this?
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm

lyovino wrote:I open the Activity Monitor and it shows "Ableton Index (Not Responding)" Has anyone checked this?
Is this ever going to be resolved? Still happening in OSX 10.9.1 & Live 9.1.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

mriley

Post by mriley » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm

It's happening to me too. I submitted a bug report and this was the response from tech support:

"The issue is, that as soon as the Live Index will scan files it does not recognise ( which is basically all files that are not audio, movie or Live files ) it might hang or crash. Even if it might not freeze sometimes, the Live Index will consume a lot of your CPU resources, and the database will grow to a very large size for no reason.

Please remove those folders from Places, or even better, reset your database and only add folders that match the criterias mentioned.

This should improve the performance of Live and get rid of the crashes."

I deleted the offending folders but I'm still having the problem.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:31 am

did you also reset the database?

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:51 am

(thinking out loud here). I'm in the process of ordering a new Mini. This makes me hesitate about ordering it since it comes with Mavericks. I'd hate to spend a day installing everything, only to find out Ableton Live crashes and I'll need to buy Mountain Lion and do a complete re-install.

On the other hand - how abundant are these issues? It might be worth taking the risk, trying Mavericks.

mriley

Post by mriley » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 pm

fishmonkey wrote:did you also reset the database?
I did that today and it's still not working. If someone else wants to try it you can find an article about it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... malformed/

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 am

gettin the error too

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 am

Is anyone having issues with the latest update and Mavericks? Mountain Lion is no longer supported so I'm sort of being pushed aboard the Mavericks ship. Luckily I found this thread before I installed.