Polymeter (a kind of polyrhythm) with Live in session mode..

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Balthazar

Polymeter (a kind of polyrhythm) with Live in session mode..

Post by Balthazar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi

I've just downloaded the free trial and messed around a little with Ableton. I have looked at the built-in tutorial, and I think the session view looks brilliant. I was wondering whether anyone has tried to make polymeter rhythms with it? Let me explain what polymeter is: First, polyRHYTHM is when two different time signatures are played over one bar with the same duration in time. For instance, 5 over 4 polyrhythm is when one instrument, drum or anything else is playing a 5/4 rhythm, while the other is playing a 4/4 rhythm and a bar lasts the same amount of time for both time signatures. In other words, the pattern repeats every bar. PolyMETER, on the other hand, is when two different time signatures are played at the same time, and each BEAT has the same duration, but each BAR has different duration in the two time sigs. So, if a 5/4 over 4/4 polyMETER rhythm is played, the rhythms are shifted by one beat relative to each others every bar, and the pattern repeats every fifth 4/4 bar.

Not sure if this was clear. Anyway, it just looked to me like that would be a bit tricky (or impossible) to achieve in Ableton's session view?

chapelier fou

Re: Polymeter (a kind of polyrhythm) with Live in session mode..

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:21 am

just play a 1:0:0 clip alongside a 1:1:0 clip ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:59 pm

chapelier fou wrote:just play a 1:0:0 clip alongside a 1:1:0 clip ?
Bingo.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah, I wish you could have different clip lengths per note (like FXpansion Tremor drum sequencer).