Why Free racks, packs for Ableton 9 - but not for Ableton 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny

Why Free racks, packs for Ableton 9 - but not for Ableton 8?

Post by balonny » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 am

I've noticed some people don't use Ableton 9 or report multiple problems and sofware freezing, etc..
On the other hand you can now find numerous free racks online but some are not usable in Ableton 8 any more. It's such a shame this is happening.
It would be great if some folks who make free stuff and make it available online do so in such fashion it could be used by all users, those with Ableton 8 and Ableton 9.

Here's a typical online post regarding this matter:
Hello! Thanks for the great tutorial on this rack. Unfortunately the rack is not usable with Live 8 (get error message saying it was created with a newer version and that I need Live 9). Do you have a way to post a live 8 compatible rack ? Thank!
-------
What do you think?
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

bosonHavoc

Re: Why Free racks, packs for Ableton 9 - but not for Ableton 8?

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 pm

I make content on occasion to give away and for free,
(here is my site if you want to poke around)
http://bitvoltage.com/

main thing is if you want your racks to work in live 8 you have to make them in live 8
so you will be limited to the live 8 tools.
live 9 has allot updates in which some people are going to want to take advantage of.

for me personally i don't use Live 8 anymore so I have to make a conscious effort to create content in live 8 for the reasons your talking about. So normally giving away free content I would just grab racks that I been using and upload them but since I don't work in Live 8 it would be more work to go back and make versions that are backwards compatible. Now since its free their is not much incentive to do allot of extra work. Even though I myself went back and have done that for some of my racks.

Ableton's Racks are one of the most powerful features of Live and I highly recommend mastering racks.

balonny

Post by balonny » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:24 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:I make content on occasion to give away and for free,
(here is my site if you want to poke around)
http://bitvoltage.com/

main thing is if you want your racks to work in live 8 you have to make them in live 8
so you will be limited to the live 8 tools.
live 9 has allot updates in which some people are going to want to take advantage of.

for me personally i don't use Live 8 anymore so I have to make a conscious effort to create content in live 8 for the reasons your talking about. So normally giving away free content I would just grab racks that I been using and upload them but since I don't work in Live 8 it would be more work to go back and make versions that are backwards compatible. Now since its free their is not much incentive to do allot of extra work. Even though I myself went back and have done that for some of my racks.

Ableton's Racks are one of the most powerful features of Live and I highly recommend mastering racks.
Thanks bosonHavoc,
You said it well and I know you're right regardin people using Ableton 9. Others refuse to use it for some reasons they may have or simply prefer older version.
I agree with you RE Ableton Racks in generals in particular Drum and Instrument racks. So far I was not involved in working with Mastering racks but may change my mind now.

Cheers!!

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:07 pm

balonny wrote: It's such a shame this is happening.

What do you think?
i guess that`s how the world goes.
it`s your free decision to stay with live 8 or any old software but then you should expect that you don`t get all the good new stuff.
and as bosonHavoc said: if the people are sharing free racks why should they do the extra work?
whatever, i understand your point but to say that that`s a shame??? :roll:
it would be a shame if people don`t make use of the new features of live 9

balonny

Post by balonny » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 am

stoersignal wrote:
balonny wrote: It's such a shame this is happening.

What do you think?
i guess that`s how the world goes.
it`s your free decision to stay with live 8 or any old software but then you should expect that you don`t get all the good new stuff.
and as bosonHavoc said: if the people are sharing free racks why should they do the extra work?
whatever, i understand your point but to say that that`s a shame??? :roll:
it would be a shame if people don`t make use of the new features of live 9
Such a shame - very often used and very British way of saying things..ummm I guess it's coming from watching Agent 007 movies too often..
Just a comment on wording :roll: