How would you make these sounds? (Track inside)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ObiKaNobi

How would you make these sounds? (Track inside)

Post by ObiKaNobi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

So, I have a simple question. Or two, rather...if that's how you perceive it.

Take this track for a listen. Many of us have heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nUyXEowxY

The first sound I want to learn to replicate has to do with the bass sound. Listen closely to the drop at 1:12. Now listen to it again at 1:26, the bass begins to do a little trick on the 3rd and 4th beat of each measure, where it sounds like it flops over onto itself. How is this done? It's a very subtle but beautiful trick and variety added to the bass line.

The second sound, is more prominent and clearer. The second drop at 1:55 has a horn-like sound. Simply wondering what's the best way to replicate this? How would you go about it?

Would love to know any technicality behind it, any responses don't fear sounding too advanced for me, throw all your knowledge at me and let me gobble it up, though I suspect these two sounds aren't too difficult to replicate.

Cheers in advance!

marcoskohler

Re: How would you make these sounds? (Track inside)

Post by marcoskohler » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:59 pm

" Now listen to it again at 1:26, the bass begins to do a little trick on the 3rd and 4th beat of each measure, where it sounds like it flops over onto itself. How is this done? "

...Sounds like the bass line stays the same but he's playing a tom between the groove now.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 pm

The "bass" sounds to me like compressed and distorted kicks, with sidechained reverb.

The horn sound is likely a synth using a saw wave with a bandpass filter and reverb.

I've saved a live set for you with a channel I made that sounds pretty close to that synth. The keys were:
Sawtooth wave (stacked octaves) with bandpass filter, Vinyl Distortion to really sharpen the teeth, reverb, and compression. Tweak the filter, distortion parameters and reverb to taste. It requires Ableton's instrument Analog.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rxckbn
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

ObiKaNobi

Post by ObiKaNobi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Thank you both very much!

Ttilberg, you are too awesome for making that for me. I'll definitely have to give it a listen soon as I get some spare time to sit down and play with Live again.

Thanks again you two :)

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 pm

you don't make these sounds, that's how you make these sounds...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

@ ttilberg - i'm assuming since you posted that link that you won't mind if i download it too... i'm interested in checking it out. so, you have until i get home to take that link down if not :wink:

very cool of you, posting a set for ObiKaNobi

peace,
H

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Hahah no problem of course. I would have direct messaged him if it were private -- the more people it might help, the cooler I feel lol... It's nothing too awesome, I just whipped some stuff together quickly while at work.

It's not 100% accurate, but it's what I think of when I listen to those sounds. Specifically the bass drum needs more tuning. I was having a hard time getting the perfect distortion, and amount of "whooshywoof" from the reverb/compressor -- I'm not actually certain that's the best way to achieve it, but oh well. It might help to split that whoosh to audio, instead of relying strictly on drum rack + audio effects -- you could have more precise control over placement then.

If someone else comes up with better ways to hook it up, I encourage you all to share as well.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5