Latency issues after formatting PC, please help :(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
camilomusic71

Latency issues after formatting PC, please help :(

Post by camilomusic71 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I decided to format my PC and reinstall Windows 7 and all the stuff I use on a daily basis (Live, Cubase and a bunch of VSTs), since it'd been more than a year since I cleansed my hard drive and the machine didn't seem to be performing at its best. (Almost) everything turned out fine, however after reinstalling Live 9 I noticed both my input and output latencies had gone up to the roof. I've been using a TASCAM US-122MKII audio interface and I never had any kind of latecy-related issue. I went to the preferences menu and I noticed that the latency section had changed- now there was an Input Buffer Size and an Output Buffer Size bars, both of them automatically set to a number in the order of thousands of samples. Before formatting my PC, Live used to have only one bar in the latency section, which I used to have set to 256 or 512 samples at most, however, now if I set the Input or Output Buffer Size to lest than 1200ish samples, I get horrible clicks and pops instead of sound. This is problem as having my output buffer size set to anything over a thousand samples gives me an output latency of no less than 25 ms, which I really can't work with. I make heavy use of MIDI controllers to make beats on the go and I can't do that if I hear my output signal delayed, even if for so little.

At first I thought it could be related to my audio interface's driver, so I tried installing an updated version of it but that didn't fix the problem. I tried my controllers on Cubase and everything worked just fine, so I thought it may have had to do with the version of Live I was running, so I also tried installing an old CD of Live 8 I had laying around but that didn't help either. I don't know if the situation may be hardware or software related, but I think the interface is just fine. It was working OK before I formatted my PC, so I really don't know what's going on. This is really frustrating, so if anyone can give me a clue on this I would really really appreciate it.

I've got Windows 64-bit but I'm running the 32-bit version of Live (most of my VST are only 32-bit).

Thanks!!

Re: Latency issues after formatting PC, please help :(

Post by 102455 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm

You mentioned a driver but didn't mention ASIO. That's what you need to be using for low latency.

camilomusic71

Post by camilomusic71 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 am

I thought the ASIO driver was needed when you didn't have an audio interface. I'm using the MME/DirectX option (which is what I used to use before, when it worked fine)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm

install and use this
http://www.asio4all.com/

Post by 102455 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:49 pm

camilomusic71 wrote:I thought the ASIO driver was needed when you didn't have an audio interface.
WHAT?! No, why on earth would you need a driver for something that doesn't exist?! :?

You need to install the original Tascam ASIO driver for the US-122 Mk II (not ASIO4ALL. That's NOT an ASIO driver!)

camilomusic71

Post by camilomusic71 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:19 pm

So I was getting everything wrong, I forgot that you could choose ASIO as your driver type (instead of MME/DirectX) and then choose the device to work with it (the TASCAM driver in my case). When I saw your post I read ASIO and automatically thought about ASIO4ALL, which is what I used to use before buying the interface, so it didn't make much sense at that moment.
Anyways, switching the ASIO driver fixed the problem. I'm back to my normal latency levels, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!