How to use tab view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MiDigital

How to use tab view?

Post by MiDigital » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 am

Hi, new to ableton live here. I was wondering how to use tab view because i dont know the exact term. If you dont know what im saying, its just when you press the tab button and its in a different view. I want to use this view as a way to not use the launchpad but use ableton. If this makes sense, i've seen people use this view on youtube, ArtFx uses it in his tutorials.For example. the view of what i am talking about is in his video called "All about chords, scales and melodies" An example of how he uses it is at 5:25. It's kind of like you drag it but it's just confusing. Any good video is appreciated! Thanks and have a good day.

mode:masters

Re: How to use tab view?

Post by mode:masters » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:25 am

You are talking about Arrangement View. This is where you lay out your clips (audio/MIDI) for song composition. You can drag any clip from Session View into Arrangement View by either pressing TAB while dragging or dragging the clip onto the Arrangement/Session buttons on the top right of the interface.

You can also record audio/midi/automation directly into Arrangement view by arming tracks and pressing record.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am

For a beginner like yourself, it would be a good idea to always have the info window open. (Lower left corner. click on the little triangle)
If this view is open it will display little snippets of information about everything your mouse hoovers over.
You should also check the extensive and well written manual. You reach it via the Help menu.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 am

Even better, there's tutorials within the help menu, and they're very well done.

MiDigital

Post by MiDigital » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for the help. But i still can't find where to "Play it". What i am talking about is that you can see the keyboard on the left side and you can make chords and stuff. Thanks.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm

MiDigital wrote:Thanks for the help. But i still can't find where to "Play it". What i am talking about is that you can see the keyboard on the left side and you can make chords and stuff. Thanks.
You enter notes by clicking right to the little keyboard into the editor and hit play on the clip the editor is in. If you have an instrument loaded (e.g. Operator) you will hear sounds. You can also play notes with your computer keyboard.
(You have to record arm the track first though (the lowest red "button" in the clip view on each track))

BUT: The questions you are asking are exactly the basic things the manual and in-built tutorials are for. Don't abuse other peoples time and goodwill by asking every little thing. Forums should be for the hard questions that don't have an answer that the manual or average youtube video can solve. Just my opinion.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 pm

MiDigital wrote:Thanks for the help. But i still can't find where to "Play it". What i am talking about is that you can see the keyboard on the left side and you can make chords and stuff. Thanks.
Your looking for the MIDI editor. As previous posters suggested I strongly recommend to learn the basic concepts of Live first, too. If you are not able to describe a problem in the Live terminology it's difficult to get help.

Start by reading this: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live-concepts/

Then I'd read it again.

Then read this: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/editi ... elocities/ (especially 10.2)

Now, if you read that stuff carefull enough you should be able to "play it".
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Post by 102455 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Don't abuse other peoples time and goodwill by asking every little thing.
Well said. First job: read the manual. Second job: go through the built in tutorials/lessons. You'll get further if you learn and absorb it yourself.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

102455 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Don't abuse other peoples time and goodwill by asking every little thing.
Well said. First job: read the manual. Second job: go through the built in tutorials/lessons. You'll get further if you learn and absorb it yourself.
I'm usually not the person to say RTFM, because there are often things that can be overlooked even by dedicated users, so asking here is absolutely appropriate. But there is a point where it seems it's rather lazyness on the posters part.
What really gets me though is, if those same people don't even bother to come back and tell us that our help solved their problem and that it was appreciated! (Not saying that this is what will happen with MiDigital)

Post by 102455 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 pm

TomViolenz wrote:lazyness on the posters part.
Yes.....far too much of that around on forums.

Example: Instead of spending 2 secs typing free samples into Google, people will log into a forum & spend longer composing and posting a message asking where they can get free samples. :roll:

Oh look, here's one now! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=199122