Sampler advice - Bonobo?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boderekstits

Sampler advice - Bonobo?

Post by boderekstits » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Im wanting to make instruments of my samples. For example, taking one sound from a record - and make into an instrument that I can play on the keys.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

So - Sampler can not do this - because it does not time stretch the samples as you go up and down from the original sample. It will play shorter and shorter as you go up, and slower and slower as you go down.

I'm looking for something that can make a MIDI instrument with each sound the same length.

Can Maschine do this? What else is out there? Kontakt?

I feel like i'm graduating from beginner Ableton user to intermediate level. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around Samplers.

For example, lots of Bonobo's music, esp his earlier stuff, is sample based. He would take a sound, chuck in the sampler and be able to play it on the MIDI keyboard. I'm basically trying to do that.

would love any feedback/suggestions.

TomViolenz

Re: Sampler advice - Bonobo?

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 am

Time stretching in Sampler has long been requested, but we are still waiting....
But the workaround isn't that hard:
Take your sample, put it in a clip slot, go to the warp section, choose the warp mode you like, duplicate clip as many times as you need notes to play, turn the Transpose knob in each clip to the notes you want, select all clips and drop them on an empty Sampler, go to the Zone section in Sampler and distribute the samples to the keys where they belong (it helps if you renamed your clips to the notes they represent before droping them on the Sampler). Done.
Cumbersome? YES!
Difficult? not really
Good luck :-)

(Maybe someone has another idea...)

If you want to do this live on the fly though, you will have to get another sample player like Kontakt :(

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:56 am

You can also map a clip to a range of note in the midi mapping mode.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

panten

Post by panten » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am

I'm just learning this stuff myself right now but can you not achieve a decent result with granular synthesis?

GranulatorII comes with Suite which I've played around with but I prefer the flow of PadShop Pro.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:56 am

chapelier fou wrote:You can also map a clip to a range of note in the midi mapping mode.
...and it plays it time stretched? Brilliant, much easier than my suggestion!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 am

TomViolenz wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:You can also map a clip to a range of note in the midi mapping mode.
...and it plays it time stretched? Brilliant, much easier than my suggestion!
Yep.
But it depends, it may not be suitable to the midi setup.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:43 pm

check out my granular Sampler rack... similar to Granulator, but doesn't require M4L
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154956

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Time stretching in Sampler has long been requested, but we are still waiting....
Take your sample, put it in a clip slot, go to the warp section, choose the warp mode you like, duplicate clip as many times as you need notes to play, turn the Transpose knob in each clip to the notes you want, select all clips and drop them on an empty Sampler, go to the Zone section in Sampler and distribute the samples to the keys where they belong (it helps if you renamed your clips to the notes they represent before droping them on the Sampler). Done.
Cumbersome? YES!
Difficult? not really

If you want to do this live on the fly though, you will have to get another sample player like Kontakt :(
OK, thank you! I had already actually done this. But I'm doing something wrong. I think it's in the Zone section.

Couple things:

I'm taking one synth sound from a sample pack that a friend gave me. Trying to make an instrument out of it.

I did everything as said. I figured out the root note of the original sample by matching it on my guitar. I renamed that note (F#) and all the subsequent notes up to a full octave. Then I dragged all those clipped into the sampler.

- How do I know how octave to place them on the key zone?
- The clips that I renamed (F#, G, G#, etc.) did not save when I moved them to the Sampler. Anyone know why?

Here is a screen shot of my Key zone. Is this right?

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 pm

ok, can't seem to add screen shot. How do I add a screen shot?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 am

you'll have to have the image at a hosted site... then post the link to that site with the [ img ]image[ /img ] tags around it.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 am

H20nly wrote:you'll have to have the image at a hosted site... then post the link to that site with the [ img ]image[ /img ] tags around it.
thanks.

Do I need to pull the ends of the keyzone back to just assign one note to it? And do that for each key?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:25 am

Yes, make sure that every key only has one sample in range.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:31 am

The biggest thing to set is the Root note, that R. I forget the shortcut, you hold a key while dragging it. Or you can change it in the sample tab on the bottom left. Root note tells Sampler what the original pitch of that sample is.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am

boderekstits wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Time stretching in Sampler has long been requested, but we are still waiting....
Cumbersome? YES!
Difficult? not really

OK, thank you! I had already actually done this. But I'm doing something wrong. I think it's in the Zone section.

Couple things:

I'm taking one synth sound from a sample pack that a friend gave me. Trying to make an instrument out of it.

I did everything as said. I figured out the root note of the original sample by matching it on my guitar. I renamed that note (F#) and all the subsequent notes up to a full octave. Then I dragged all those clipped into the sampler.

- How do I know how octave to place them on the key zone?
- The clips that I renamed (F#, G, G#, etc.) did not save when I moved them to the Sampler. Anyone know why?

Here is a screen shot of my Key zone. Is this right?
Ah my bad, the clip names only become file names if you save the clips after having named the clip. (But you can also just look which clip goes with which file. The name of file name is displayed in the sample box in the clip view)
The root note can be adjusted in Sampler in its sample tab, where it says "root key". For the Zone editor you have to do what tiltberg said, make every zone just cover one midi note. If you found out the root note with your guitar, I'm sure you can find out the right octave the same way. But using Lives spectrum analyzer would also tell you the note you are playing.

Lastly many sample packs already deliver multi samples that is more conveniant and usually sounds better too. (Sometimes even with several recorded velocities per note, which you could than also place in the Zone tab, but this time in the Vel section)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 am

Timestretching in sampler. Make really short loop. Map loop start to an lfo. Set modulation to max. Set lfo type to saw up. Set lfo rate to sample duration. Done. You could do the same with an aux envelope as well. Granulator 2 does the same job but sounds smoother due to the use of a grain cloud.