Zebra 2

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tedlogan

Zebra 2

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:15 am

I've tried for quite a while to stay in the box with Live concerning synths, but as much as I love the DAW and wanted to love the instruments, I couldn't (love Operator though). After much research and fiddling I decided to buy Zebra. This thing is exactly what I want. I LOVE it. Yes I know I'm very late to the party, but I just want to relate my pure joy with using this excellent modular beast.

The general sound, low on CPU, excellent GUI, insane routing possibilities, the MSGes, the....everything.

I've been looking for something that can generate odd but useable sounds, especially modulated loops, and this is perfect. I don't use presets, I make every patch from the initialise patch, and this is the most fun I've ever had designing sound.

Now if only Ableton will enable better configuration options for Push control and VSTs....

Too much to harp on about, I better get back to Zebra

EDIT: haha forgot to ask one important question. I've searched Google and read some opinions - is the Dark Zebra (ZebraHZ) worth it? I don't use presets, but it adds some Diva filters and I think Resonator controls.

eddiex

Re: Zebra 2

Post by eddiex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:33 am

if you aren't into presets.....it's not worth it.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 am

if you are into presets, it's bad ass!
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:39 am

Thanks eddiex, I thought as much.

I'm trying to go to bed, as I need to go sort out some stuff at the bank early tomorrow before they close, but I cannot stop messing about with Zebra.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:23 am

Have to agree. Zebra surprises me. The other day I was asked to do some rewriting of a "singer songwriters" Garage band tracks and decided to make a mock up of a Moog patch in Zebra until I felt like using the moog. I liked the way the mock up sounded so much I couldn't be bothered with using a real moog on it. Mostly I'm surprised at how much you get when you don't over do it in Zebra.

The one thing though, the distortion and compression FX in it are shit. U-He hired Sasha recently and he's a great FX engineer so I'm thinking Zebra 3 is going to be a complete 180 degree turn. :twisted:

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:48 am

Ah good to hear, as I also think the distortion and compression are sub-par. Although the drive on one of the XMF modules I quite like.

Well, whenever Zebra 3 comes out, next year if we're lucky, it'll only cost $30 to upgrade! I like this company.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 am

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:15 am

Yes I do sometimes use Sampler as well with single-cycle wave forms, but I haven't delved deep enough into it yet, but will in the future. For now, I am in love with Zebra and very excited with the program and the patches I'm coming up with, and I'm only scratching the surface.
I never aim for a sound, I always let the sound that wants out guide me in how it wants to be made...
I agree. And then creating percussive modulations with the multistage envelope generator...lovely

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 am

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:52 am

tedlogan wrote:Ah good to hear, as I also think the distortion and compression are sub-par. Although the drive on one of the XMF modules I quite like.

Well, whenever Zebra 3 comes out, next year if we're lucky, it'll only cost $30 to upgrade! I like this company.
Distortion features are going to be updated very soon:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes, cheers, I've been lurking there now for a bit and saw that. Urs hinted at a really good upgrade to the distortion module...splendid :)

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 am

zebra's range can cover more ground than many other synths can; the learning curve can be steep especially since the lack of "omg wahbulz" or "krazy leed!" presets but it's definitely above other options.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:57 am

just messing with Zebra2 it sounds friggin amazing, but i hardly ever use it in my music and i've owned it for over 5 years

i pretty much only use the Zimmer and Annihilation Dubstep collections (both great) but not much else

i think, you have to do some serious programming to make it work for you cuz most of the patches out there are way too 80s oriented (like the Science and Oldskool collections). most of the ppl writing patches for it seem to have grown up in the 80s

p.s. if you haven't already guessed i don't write my own patches, i need that time for composing. i know enough to tweak patches when needed

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Yes, the HZimmer presets sound amazing, and I haven't really checked out any other packs, apart from one which was very 80s sounding. I also don't care for dubstep as it's getting very tired now, and hugely oversaturated - it's literally everywhere, from local radio to TV ads for nappies. But I digress.

The sheer variety and quality of sounds from The Dark Zebra sealed the deal for me - even though i don't own the HZ pack - it just proved to me what can be done with Zebra. I very rarely use presets, as making your own creates very deep satisfaction, and has a better chance of making your sound original.

I don't find Zebra hard to program at all. Very intuitive and logical, and I'm no Howard Scarr.

I bought this one to study inside and out, and so far it's a fascinating journey. Going through the manual, then experimenting with what I've read, then follow some u-He tutorials online and so forth. The possibilities are endless, and I have much to learn.

To put a very juicy cherry on top - I will get Zebra 3 when it comes out for only $30.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm

The Dark Zebra with the HZ stuff is a great learning tool: reverse engineering those patches and checking out how something was made is very interesting even if you don't reach for presets in your music :) ... Also, for everyone who has bought Dark Zebra, upgrade to v3 is free. Subtracting the Zebra 3 upgrade fee from its price, you're left with a really modest sum for everything that is included, IMO.

U-he is my favorite developer by far, heh.