yet another computer dilemma

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
db120

yet another computer dilemma

Post by db120 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 pm

I've been riding a 2007 Intel core duo 1.8 ghz Thinkpad until the wheels have started to come off. It's actually been a champ after I put the maximum 4gb of RAM and an SSD in it a couple years ago - "sometimes" handling Live a few VST's, Maschine, Firefox or Chrome, and Tweetdeck open at once (though browser crashes after opening tabs is getting more frequent).

It's time to upgrade and I wanted to try something different so this time I purchased a Mac (15inch RMBP fully loaded). I'm thinking this is total overkill for the apps that I use above and have two days left to return it for another model. My thinking is I can find the a 15 inch quad core 2011 mbp used, install the aftermarket 16gb and 250ish gig SSD. This way I could save nearly 2 thousand dollars and put the money towards some new monitors or a motorcycle, both of which are probably needed more than processing power. Obviously anything is a step up from what I'm using, so the real question I have is about capability of the 2011 mbp and Live specifically:

1. Does this model with an SSD and another HD in the drive bay run super warm when using Ableton?

2. Battery life with SSD and second HD? As long as it would get at least 4 hours I'm cool with it.

3. Will this model with a new SSD and 16gb RAM handle a browser open with some tabs, twitter client, Maschine, photoshop (open it up for maybe an hour a day), and Live at once? Of course I'd close everything but Live when doing serious work, but it's nice to leave these open to get ideas down and not worry about the browser crashing all the damn time.

Please discuss

Machinesworking

Re: yet another computer dilemma

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 am

Dunno man? It's much cheaper to get a used 2011 for sure, but once you buy the other stuff it's not massively cheaper.

I went the third option you didn't mention and waited until a good deal on a used retina w/16GB RAM and and a 512 HD showed up. The thing is those specs with a 2011 came out around the same price, but the retina has that amazing screen and the brutal CPU. So between screen and CPU or maybe $200 or so cheaper I went with the former.

I would mention that I replaced a 2007 MBP with this, so I wanted something that would give most as much for my investment.

db120

Post by db120 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks for making it harder 8O Good point though.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:44 am

Weird 2013 Macbook Retina Latency Issue
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198974
2013 Retina Macbook Weird Issue
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... issue.html
New Macbook Retina Mavericks audio interface problem update
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=199180

Buy and try. If you don't like it return it with above issue lol.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 am

The rMBP might be a bit overkill for what you're using now, but at the same time perhaps you'll get a longer life out of it as a result.