Any happy Stylus RMX users?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anonymouse

Any happy Stylus RMX users?

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm in the market for a good one-stop-shop for funk/hiphop/electronica beats with an acoustic/treated feel.

Is Stylus RMX any good? (I've tried the original stylus and wasn't too impressed)

How does it fare against BMP120 or PLP120?

Any other suggestions for a flexible rompler for percussion? (not darbuka or latigo)

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Tue May 17, 2005 3:53 pm

I love Stylus RMX, it can improvise, i.e. play loops with variation. I don't see why you didn't like the original, did you program with it or just listen to the loops?
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 pm

just had a mess around with a few patches. I recall dropping midi loops in from windows explorer to cubase. Not sure how this differs from RMX.

Would you recommend RMX? Does it fit well with Live?

drush

Post by drush » Tue May 17, 2005 5:00 pm

RMX is a completely different animal than the original Stylus. if what you want is rompler drums, this is it. plus with RMX you can now import your own stuff via REX so it's sort of unlimited with what it can do. and for once all the hype about sound is really true: that SAGE engine sounds unbelievably good.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 17, 2005 5:20 pm

drush wrote:with RMX you can now import your own stuff via REX
sounds excellent. I'd like to get control of a big chunk of my hard drive of drum hits and loops. this might be the thing.

what can you do? import a REX and label it and then use RMX to recall it/combine it with other tracks?

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 17, 2005 5:23 pm

Just cut n pasted the para below, if anyone is interested. I reckon I might go for RMX ...

The SAGE Converter software utility that comes with the Stylus RMX package is able to do a simple one-time conversion of Propellerheads ReCycle files directly into SAGE format for use with Stylus RMX.

The ReCycle application (available from Propellerheads) can use any of the common audio file formats (AIFF/WAV/8bit-24bit stereo) as a source for creating a “REX File” (a sliced audio loop). Once the REX file has been created, it can be easily imported for use in Stylus RMX with the included SAGE Converter application. All three ReCycle formats are supported: (RCY/REX1/REX2)

saddam whosayin?

Post by saddam whosayin? » Tue May 17, 2005 6:33 pm

I have Stylus and Stylus RMX and use them both
if you want drums based off the current sound of hip-hop/ r&b drums its perfect
it also has great effects and imports rex files
If you want 80's drum machines or breakbeats you'll need to get them
elsewhere

BPM 120 looks interesting seems like it has uptempo acoustic style breakbeats
that would be useable for punk-funk / no wave stuff

but no MIDI files , big miuns
I'm gonna check the demo

hey, you found out about the rex files!

drush

Post by drush » Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm

why would you use them both (original Stylus & RMX)? the entire original Stylus soundbank is included with RMX and RMX sounds a lot better.

saddam whosayin?

Post by saddam whosayin? » Wed May 18, 2005 3:11 am

drush asked:

why would you use them both (original Stylus & RMX)? the entire original Stylus soundbank is included with RMX and RMX sounds a lot better.

true, but:
1) all the one-shots from the Original Stylus arent filed in the RMX insruments
sections
(my favorite snare/clap combos, indespenable for me and IMO the best sounds in the original Stylus, aren't there)
2) they "fixed" Groove control so it wont f#*k up when you use it wrong,
which was how I got my best electronica sounds

Rule no.1 of electronic music: RTFM. Whatever they tell you not to, DO FIRST

azmills

Post by azmills » Wed May 18, 2005 6:51 am

I love my RMX ! The flexability of edit groups is amazing & allows for so much variation of the included loop library. I want to try some of the SAGE Expanders because I'd like to have some more 4 on the floor styles.

I really need to get ReCycle too.

Battery 2 is also great. But not quite as immediate for me as the RMX. The RMX inspires.

:D
AZ Mills: Dual 2.7gig G5, 5gig RAM, MBP 2.2gig C2D, 4gig RAM, Novation ReMote 25, Live 8 suite, Logic Pro 8 Studio, NI Maschine 1.6, various hardware & software