simpler won`t let me select just 1 cycle of a waveform

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: simpler won`t let me select just 1 cycle of a waveform

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 am

stoersignal wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:BUT! If it's really the length that's the problem, just print every wave twice in your long, consolidated sample... Should lead to the same result, no?!
that`s a good idea! thx
Keep me posted if it works!

syncr

Post by syncr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm working with these Galbanum samples as well and have been building 128s per Tom's guidance. This morphing element is a big missing link for me too. I'm definitely interested in hearing how this proceeds and would be happy to test.
Last edited by syncr on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 am

syncr wrote:I'm working with these Galbanum samples as well and have been building 128s per Tom's guidance. This morphing element is a big missing link for me too. I'm definitely interested in hearing how this proceeds and would be happy to test.
I'm pretty sure it should work as intended. The only problem seemed to be that Sampler/Simpler could not be set to loop sizes this short, so always looped two consecutive waves. Putting every wave two times should remedy this.
If it actually does though, you would have to try for yourself or wait for stoersignal to report his success.

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am

If your into single cycle waveforms look here...

http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

there are literally thousands of them for free. I'll never buy a single cycle waveform pack, these are just too many for free, and too good to ever need anymore.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 am

mike_o wrote:If your into single cycle waveforms look here...

http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

there are literally thousands of them for free. I'll never buy a single cycle waveform pack, these are just too many for free, and too good to ever need anymore.
That's good. I don't think this an either/or situation though. The architecture waves are very well made in 24, 32 and even 64bit versions (I don't think Live can use the 64bit ones though). They are ordered in ready to use folders with really useful groupings of waves. AND it's 25000 of them 8O (For just 40 bucks)
It's not a lot of money at all for such a high quality product!
Just hunting down all the free waves (if they even exist) for mirroring this product, would cost me a lot more time, than I can earn 40 bucks in!

syncr

Post by syncr » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 pm

So to summarize, the goal here is to take each waveform in a folder, duplicate it, and append the next duplicated waveform, so on. Basically a+a,b+b,c+c, etc.

The assumption then is that Sampler will play nice with loop lengths (at the single cycle*2), and then use Sampler's AUX envelope control to control the sample start and end position?

Are these the only required steps? I'm setting up a test along these lines but wanted to query first.

If this works my concern will be automating a batch process to manage the a+a, b+b, c+c process. I'm not sure what scripting options are out there. Saw something that was used for creating Push VST preset libraries. Maybe that would work.
[EDIT] I suppose one could just duplicate the files in the OS folder prior to loading in to Audacity/audio editor for consolidation. This is a pretty minor hassle and very little extra storage. Thoughts?

Will report back later. Please send info if I'm missing something.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 am

You got it exactly right!
Also the method to duplicate and append the waves, is what I'd do.

Also remember: If you use it in Simpler, you loose synthesis options, but gain direct loop control.

Thinking about it: I find the use of duplicated waves and a minimum loop length of 2 is actually better than it would have been with only 1.
Think about it: when you "scroll" through your consolidated wave with a loop length of 2. You go from AA to AB to BB, instead of A to B .
AB being a mix of A and B should make the transition sound smoother!
AND it gives you uniqe hybrid waves!