Editing automation

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nocturneExile

Editing automation

Post by nocturneExile » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

I have a track with quite a few automation edits in volume. In my mix I want to drop the track down by about 1dB and it's painful to have to edit each point by hand. Is there a way of changing all automation points in a track at once by the same amount?

Rinsemeister

Re: Editing automation

Post by Rinsemeister » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:03 am

Try putting a UTILITY device on the track(s) and adjust volume via that.

nocturneExile

Post by nocturneExile » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 am

Rinsemeister wrote:Try putting a UTILITY device on the track(s) and adjust volume via that.
That's a good idea! (But it would also be nice to have better automation editing facilities, nudge nudge Ableton!).

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Its very useful, to have the UTILITY in every track to adjust the volume, because its very inconvenient to adjust your volume atomation, if it is complex. With the UTILITY you can do that in only one step.

This is a tipp, I've heard long time ago and many are using this.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:55 pm

nocturneExile wrote:I have a track with quite a few automation edits in volume. In my mix I want to drop the track down by about 1dB and it's painful to have to edit each point by hand. Is there a way of changing all automation points in a track at once by the same amount?
Yes. You should be able to select the whole automation envelope and drag it down.

I often end up doing this by accident. (I have dexterity issues.)

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/ - see 19.5.2