All times are UTC

Post subject: cant find alp
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:27 pm 

I have installed an alp from prime loops twice yet I cannot find it in ableton 9. I have read and all instructions available which sadly are too vague but having no luck. Can someone please explain in simple terms how I do this?

System -
MacBook Pro Intel Core i7
2.2 GHz 16GB
Apple SSD
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Intel HD Graphics 3000
OSX 10.9.2

Interface -

Fireface UC

Post subject: Re: cant find alp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 am 

From what I remember the bits from these alp sample packs can get scattered about a bit. You need to search but of course it helps to know what the files are called. I would have thought they would be in your Live 9 User Library somewhere. I always put sample packs (I assume that's what it is) in a folder called Samples in Places.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 am 

Funk N. Furter wrote:
From what I remember the bits from these alp sample packs can get scattered about a bit. You need to search but of course it helps to know what the files are called. I would have thought they would be in your Live 9 User Library somewhere. I always put sample packs (I assume that's what it is) in a folder called Samples in Places.

As far as I can tell the only way is to 'add folder' under places. Live 9 doesnt seem to install packs from third parties the same way 8 did. I tried several times installing but its nowhere to be found even when I search specific files.

Also where is the file browser in 9? I cant find how to browse files on my computer like you could in 8. Is it replaced with add folder?

It really fucking pisses me off that these software companies have no clear and simple instructions for the people who are supporting them by purchasing their software.

System -
2.2 GHz 16GB
Apple SSD
Intel HD Graphics 3000
OSX 10.9.2

Interface -

Fireface UC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 am 

No you can't browse files in the same way you could in Live 8. Adding folders in Places comes later anyway. First you need to find where Live puts them when it installs alps with sample packs. Have you looked in your User Library? It's a default Place and one of three folders you can locate yourself in Preferences. Default is User/Library/Ableton. They should be in the samples folder in there I would have thought.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 am 

Isn't 'Packs' one of the folders that automatically shows up in the user Library?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:05 am 

FunknFurter - The packs I got from ableton are in ableton>Factory Packs. However if I try to install the sample pack I purchased in the same folder when prompted to choose a location they are nowhere to be seen in ableton browser even though they have been installed in the factory packs folder. So I tried making a different folder and same deal. They install but are nowhere to be found in ableton.

Yur2Die4- Yes Packs shows up in user library but the ones I have purchased from other companies do not show in ableton after installation. Only the ones I purchased from ableton show.

I have 'added folder' instead and navigated to the folder. I dont see the point of having an alp file though as I can add any folder this way, alp or not.

System -
2.2 GHz 16GB
Apple SSD
Intel HD Graphics 3000
OSX 10.9.2

Interface -

Fireface UC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 am 

yur2die4 wrote:
Isn't 'Packs' one of the folders that automatically shows up in the user Library?

No, Packs is a separate Place, and is another of the three you can set in preferences (the third is the Live 8 Library).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am 

Flange wrote:
FunknFurter - The packs I got from ableton are in ableton>Factory Packs.

Correct

Flange wrote:
However if I try to install the sample pack I purchased in the same folder when prompted to choose a location they are nowhere to be seen in ableton browser even though they have been installed in the factory packs folder. So I tried making a different folder and same deal. They install but are nowhere to be found in ableton.

No, install it in your own samples folder if offered the choice.

Flange wrote:
I have 'added folder' instead and navigated to the folder. I dont see the point of having an alp file though as I can add any folder this way, alp or not.

Yes, I have thought the same thing too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 am 

Funk N. Furter wrote:
Flange wrote:
FunknFurter - The packs I got from ableton are in ableton>Factory Packs.

Correct

Flange wrote:
However if I try to install the sample pack I purchased in the same folder when prompted to choose a location they are nowhere to be seen in ableton browser even though they have been installed in the factory packs folder. So I tried making a different folder and same deal. They install but are nowhere to be found in ableton.

No, install it in your own samples folder if offered the choice.

Maybe Ableton want to have complete control of ALPs and only sell through their website so other ALPs are no longer usable??

Flange wrote:

Yes, I have thought the same thing too.

System -
2.2 GHz 16GB
Apple SSD
Intel HD Graphics 3000
OSX 10.9.2

Interface -

Fireface UC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:58 am