How are you using 2nd window on 1 monitor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
braduro

Re: How are you using 2nd window on 1 monitor?

Post by braduro » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:47 am

Seems like a reasonable idea.
Thing is, with mission control on mavericks I couldn't even convince the additional floating window to drag over to a new space. So really it just cluttered the screen like a plug in window.

I think your clip view maxed out is a good idea, and as you say, when returning to it even the bare sliver of the arrangement view (or the "other" view) pops up.

I wonder if I'm warping a clip on the fly if I'll want to reach for a new window in clip edit view? I think the opposite is true: sometimes I need to keep an eye on the ending of a track and I'm hesitant to switch to device view last second to offer me some visual feedback for a transition. There's where the second window might come in handy for me.

Ive had my eye on these little USB monitors for quite some time. Maybe as a clip editing space, left open, Id enjoy how things looked...

braduro

Re: How are you using 2nd window on 1 monitor?

Post by braduro » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Ah, indeed that was much easier than I was making it. Thank you.
I was used to creating spaces in previous versions of OSX.

The Control+Left/Right Arrows definitely make moving around worthwhile (as opposed to pressing mission control each time). I am getting some behavior which may or may not be useful: when switching from device view to clip view in the main window, with Shift+Tab, instead of switching views, it moves me to the device view again on second space that I set up, which is already showing the devices on the same selected track/clip. But if the main screen is showing clip view, I can toggle to device view without switching Spaces. Begs the question whether it's even useful to switch between spaces in my case-it's not like I can preview a device on one track and cue a moving clip on the other track, for example.

I also noticed that in clip view on the main window switching selected tracks will bump me over to the device view of the other space on the track I selected. Again, I'd have to think why this would be pragmatic for anything above switching device/clip view in a single window, unless as you say the clip or midi sequence is maximized. But every time I come back to the clip view, the full arrangement view panel reopens again.

Cheers