Midi help needed with Live 9.1, Analog Four & Machinedrum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dom Murphy

Midi help needed with Live 9.1, Analog Four & Machinedrum

Post by Dom Murphy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi. I'm having a little bit of trouble sending midi along a chain of Elektron gear back into Live. Wondering if anyone here can help?…

Here's my current routing set up: Live > Macbook USB > TM-1 Out > Machinedrum (MD) Midi In > MD Midi Out > Analog Four (A4) Midi In > A4 Midi Out > TM-1 In > Macbook > Live

As it is, this almost works as planned. I can control the MD and A4 from Live & play them as expected. I can also play the A4 and have the notes sent into Live. However, I can't do the same with MD. If I trigger notes on that machine nothing is sent back to Live. If I miss out the A4 entirely and route the Midi from MD back to the TM-1 and then Live it works as expected.

So, the Midi from the MD stops when it enters the A4. If I switch the Midi Out cable on the A4 to Thru then the MD data is passed through BUT the A4 doesn't then send any data.

Any ideas? I'm fairly certain I have all the internal settings set correctly but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks

Dom

Ruben Trinidad

Re: Midi help needed with Live 9.1, Analog Four & Machinedrum

Post by Ruben Trinidad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 pm

It's been a really long time since I've daisy chained any MIDI gear but I think what you want to do is not possible. Tho I'm not familiar with how your gear deals with MIDI routing.

The notes that you are playing into the MD are going into the A4 and stopping there. If you plug the MIDI THRU from the A4 into the TM-1 IN; You should get the opposite effect. (the notes you play into the the MD will show up in Live and the notes on the A4 will not)

In General MIDI OUT just outputs the MIDI info from that specific device. MIDI THRU Copies the MIDI Data received at the MIDI IN and resends it. Tho it seems that you devices might have some special MIDI routing options. I'm not sure how the info from live is getting thru the MD when you have the A4 plugged into the MD's MIDI OUT. If you could merge incoming MIDI data from the TM-1 and that coming out of the MD then you could get what you want.

Dom Murphy

Re: Midi help needed with Live 9.1, Analog Four & Machinedrum

Post by Dom Murphy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 am

Hey there

Thanks for your help. Hmmmmm, looks like I might need a Midi patch bay which can handle all the ins and outs. It's been a while since I used Midi (late 90s?)… it's bringing back the 'fun' memories!

;-)

D