what point do you need an external audiocard/headphone amp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solipsys

what point do you need an external audiocard/headphone amp

Post by solipsys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I'll be purchasing my basic setup of a korg microkey25, kontrol 2 and a pair of audio technica 50rds to get started and was wondering if for getting started with production I would need an external audio card? I was going to download the asio driver to help but from what I've read until you start playing the music through speakers the external isn't a must. Is that true?

Also, with my headphones would you recommend a headphone amp, and if so, which one?

yur2die4

Re: what point do you need an external audiocard/headphone amp

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Headphones is the same situation as playing the audio from speakers.

An audio interface can handle latency better and sound cleaner.

But if you can configure your soundcard to work with asio4all that's a good start for sure.

I wouldn't necessarily look into a headphone amp until after having the audio interface. Even then, it's a bit of a luxury, it'd be best to see where you're at after making a few pieces first.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm

RME interfaces are supposed to wipe the floor with ASIO4all and gaming sound cards. You should see an improvement in Live's CPU meter instead of it going to shit at %80 it should stay nice upto around 80% even with very low latency setting. RME baby face is what I have my eye on to replace ASIO4all but at that cost I can replace my CPU and motherboard :/

solipsys

Post by solipsys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 pm

My lap top is pretty nice, it's an MSI with 8 gigs of ram and an i7 processor. I just don't know if buying the external is something I need at the beginning or if it's worth it to spend the $$$ and get it over with.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:09 pm

In the beginning it’s probably just best to know how your speakers or headphones translate mixes. Well, that’s important regardless, but I know people who produce decent music just using mid-priced computer speakers and cheapish headphones plugged directly into the computer. They know how those spit out mixes in comparison to pro mixes done on high end equipment. Of course their mixes aren’t as polished but they are good enough.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm

If you're just starting out, it's not critical, assuming you're not having any latency or driver issues with the onboard soundcard. Lower latency and better sound quality of what you HEAR (but not what you make in the laptop) are the main advantages IMO. But if you're using your current set up just fine, then maybe wait a bit and look at some of the options out there. Might be better saving for a mid-level card that last you for many years, versus buying a cheaper one now and realizing in a few months it doesn't fit your needs.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:33 pm

And the most important thing is.

Don't ever let anything prevent you from making sound.

Nothing is absolutely necessary. The most necessary things are your personal experience and innovation. People have done plenty more with less, and plenty less with more. You have to be stubborn and persistent with your efforts to make some noise. With or without gear.

In a lot of the cases of limitations, people develop new or fast techniques that almost work better for them, or save them money. And it's so badass when they tell someone How they made it with practically nothing haha

But, no, I would recommend an audio interface in a couple months. But with all your new gear, it'd be good to really get acquainted with it without the distraction of more new stuff.

solipsys

Post by solipsys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Awesome, alright thank you guys! I'll be holding out for a couple of months until I start to really get into it and have a feel for it all.