build your own PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suburbanbather

build your own PC

Post by suburbanbather » Wed May 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Anyone have any good recomendations on a book for building your own PC. I've seen the tutorials on the net(pctorque.com) but I would rather have bood on it since it would be a little more detailed.

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Wed May 18, 2005 9:40 pm

www.amazon.com

do a search and read the reviews, dont buy the book second hand from that site as usually its pretty average on delivery time..

Maximum PC Guide to Building a Dream PC
ISBN: 0789731932

gets a good review

Building The Perfect PC
ISBN: 0596006632

also a good review

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed May 18, 2005 9:53 pm

I am a regular @Amazon.com. I was just asking here so that I could get a recomendation from someone that uses PC's for music software.

Thanks I'll check it out. Hopefully Borders has it so that I can look at it and then buy it from Amazon for less and tax free. Haha!!!!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 18, 2005 11:05 pm

If i were to build a PC today, i'd build a Shuttle PC with an Athlon 64 (socket 939).

now this may seem to not be what you're asking - but if you are actually looking for a guide on how to install components - the Shuttle barebones (case,power,motherboard) systems come with COLOR installation guides and i know many folks that learned more about building PCs by assembling a Shuttle than reading any book.

Think of it it like a "how to" kit. Once you master that, for your next machine move up to an ATX size case where you have to install PSU and Motherboard yourself.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu May 19, 2005 1:54 am

Just got back from Borders. I looked at the two books. I am very confident in building my own machine. I've seen the shuttle kits at Comp USA. They do look pretty straight forward in the assembly process. My decision will be based on which is cheaper shuttle kit or total DIY. I'm already kicking myself in the ass for not thinking of this for a desktop solution. Does anyone here know if its possible to build your own laptop or are the parts not really available to the general public?

dallas!

Post by dallas! » Thu May 19, 2005 8:24 am

suburbanbather wrote:Just got back from Borders. I looked at the two books. I am very confident in building my own machine. I've seen the shuttle kits at Comp USA. They do look pretty straight forward in the assembly process. My decision will be based on which is cheaper shuttle kit or total DIY. I'm already kicking myself in the ass for not thinking of this for a desktop solution. Does anyone here know if its possible to build your own laptop or are the parts not really available to the general public?
Desktops are easy to build....my £0.02....don't get sucked into the buying the latest kit thing....you'll do it once, spend £1000+ and then find the PC's out dated in a month. If your going the complete DIY route start small, buy a CPU, Ram, MoBo, Case and Hardrive off Ebay, shouldn't need to spend more than £200 and if you pick the right gear you can upgrade at a later date.

Laptops...there a different fish entirely, requiring slightly more skill, some special tools and more cash/understanding.

There's plently of tutorials on the web telling you how to bulid a PC (and for that fact a laptop). To be honest I'd save that £20 on the book and spend it on a bit more computer kit.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu May 19, 2005 3:05 pm

One piece of advice; don't skimp on the motherboard. I've bought many a cheap mobo in my day, and it always comes back to bite you in the ass.

dallas!

Post by dallas! » Thu May 19, 2005 3:12 pm

sqook wrote:One piece of advice; don't skimp on the motherboard. I've bought many a cheap mobo in my day, and it always comes back to bite you in the ass.
Asus MoBo's have never failed me and are reasonably priced, plus if you pic the right one Very very easy to set up (are they still jumper-less?)

Oh and Hdd....try and steer clear of Maxtor......I've never heard glowing reports on them.

dallas!