Soft synths?????

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Finnbarker
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:06 am

Soft synths?????

Post by Finnbarker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 am

Hi im buying ableton live standard and i want to make avicii/eric pryds/syn cole type music(progressive house i guess). I want to know if i should buy sylenth for sound design or if ableton standard is strong enough that i could make some nice progressive house sounds in ableton. I will spend money on sylenth if i have too because im not going to pirate it.

please tell me if you have ever created progressive house in ableton without any other plug ins.

Timbeaux
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm

or u can get free vst's. the one from TAL or UHE are nice and dont have to hide behind the "big players" like sylenth or massive

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:18 pm

try with operator and operator in Suite

a lot of the time those main room synth leads are just stacked saws with a filter which you can do with operator or analog


you can even stack multiple operators and analogs in an instrument rack and detune each one


but for the cost of Sylenth versus Suite it might be better to just get the plugs

I own Suite and I only ever use Operator from the Suite instruments - I use NI stuff for pretty much everything else....

filter_7
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 am

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by filter_7 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:50 pm

You can't go wrong buying Ableton Suite; there are a LOTS of preset to play with.

If you buy the standard version i suggest this synth that is free and super powerful:
http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

hundreds of downloadable free presets too.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:55 pm

filter_7 wrote:You can't go wrong buying Ableton Suite; there are a LOTS of preset to play with.

If you buy the standard version i suggest this synth that is free and super powerful:
http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

hundreds of downloadable free presets too.

I don't think suite is worth it.

I own it and I only ever use Operator.

I regularly use FM8, Massive, Kontakt, Reaktor and some other stuff from Camel and Sugarbytes.

Sampler is IMO useless because it has no timestretch.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm


pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:36 pm

suite is full of uninteresting sound for me. I would suggests save for versatile &50-&150 synth.
Image

ObiKaNobi
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ObiKaNobi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 pm

While Ableton suite has everything you need to really get started, I've never personally cared for it's built-in instruments. The effects? Hell yeah, love em. But I always go to third party VST's such as Sylenth or Massive for my synths and bass sounds (for the most part).

I really should learn to make the most out of the built in instruments though.

blakjesus
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:58 am
Location: Atlanta
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by blakjesus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 pm

ObiKaNobi wrote:While Ableton suite has everything you need to really get started, I've never personally cared for it's built-in instruments. The effects? Hell yeah, love em. But I always go to third party VST's such as Sylenth or Massive for my synths and bass sounds (for the most part).

I really should learn to make the most out of the built in instruments though.
+1

I love Ableton Live to death and I love the effects, but the only "instruments" i use from Live's library are Drum Rack and Simpler. Sylenth is one of the "staples" of modern dance music. But some other worthy mentions are:

Massive (Native Instruments)
Diva (U-He)
ACE (U-He, everything from them is top notch)
ElectraX (Tone 2)

I would highly recommend not getting Live Suite and instead buy 1 softsynth that seems appealing to you and learn it inside and out. That along with Live Standard's effects and stuff that will probably get you pretty close to what you are looking for.

Cheers!

login
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by login » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Operator is a workhose. Collision can be usefull. electric is a one trick Pony. I dont care for tension and analog lacks sound quality for its intended role (analog sound), operator is better for a lot of the stuff analog does.

The sample libraries aren't bad, some usefull drum samples and the orchestra might not be stellar but it is usefull for non instrumental music, i.e. in an electronic track.

Then yu get M4L which has very usefull devices.

So for me Suite is worth, specially for the integration Live native content has, I am perosnally bothered to work opening and closing windows. But I still complement live with u-he DIVA and NI Razor.

XSIMan
Posts: 552
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by XSIMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Get u-he DIVA it is modular so you can build a synth with it from modules from vintage synths plus you get a JP-8000 OSC module for the best sounding supersaw.
I find it best and more creative having lots of effects and a good synth rather than having lots of synths. Soundtoys +_Max For Live is a killer combination. Live standard already has a load of effects so priority is getting a good synth.

Black Friday sales are on so it's the best time of the year for buying synths and effects.

ObiKaNobi
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ObiKaNobi » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:57 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Sampler is IMO useless because it has no timestretch.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's like a joke of some kind. Seriously, how it doesn't have time stretch capabilities is beyond me. This is what we pay top dollar for! And I don't wanna hear how difficult it is from the peanut gallery, I just want my time-stretching Sampler!

Ian, do you have any alternatives? I find myself not being able to use a lot of bass samples in wav format because it's always just one note per sample, when really i need multiple pitched notes. I know you could do warping and all that with pitching it up or down but there has to be an easier way with some sort of Audio to Instrument which turns it into Midi, allowing us to play the sample up and down our keyboard same as we would midi, without affecting sound quality or color of the original sample. Any VST's that do this?

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:50 pm

ObiKaNobi wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:Sampler is IMO useless because it has no timestretch.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's like a joke of some kind. Seriously, how it doesn't have time stretch capabilities is beyond me. This is what we pay top dollar for! And I don't wanna hear how difficult it is from the peanut gallery, I just want my time-stretching Sampler!

Ian, do you have any alternatives? I find myself not being able to use a lot of bass samples in wav format because it's always just one note per sample, when really i need multiple pitched notes. I know you could do warping and all that with pitching it up or down but there has to be an easier way with some sort of Audio to Instrument which turns it into Midi, allowing us to play the sample up and down our keyboard same as we would midi, without affecting sound quality or color of the original sample. Any VST's that do this?
Kontakt - every time - expensive but very very very highly recommended

Nokatus
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 am

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by Nokatus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:50 pm

ObiKaNobi wrote:some sort of Audio to Instrument which turns it into Midi, allowing us to play the sample up and down our keyboard same as we would midi, without affecting sound quality or color of the original sample. Any VST's that do this?
No such thing exists.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Soft synths?????

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Nokatus wrote:
ObiKaNobi wrote:some sort of Audio to Instrument which turns it into Midi, allowing us to play the sample up and down our keyboard same as we would midi, without affecting sound quality or color of the original sample. Any VST's that do this?
No such thing exists.
Kontakt does a good job over +/- 1 octave or so.

I use it all the time for exactly this purpose.

Post Reply