Just tried the demo for Reason 7...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ObiKaNobi

Just tried the demo for Reason 7...

Post by ObiKaNobi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 pm

How in the hell do people use this thing?

Seriously, I took one look at it and had to force myself not to click the X button and quit the program. Seriously, it's so hideous!

I mostly was just interested in trying something new. Reason was one of those programs I found a little interesting, due to it not supporting outside plug ins, from what I understand. So, I wondered...how does it compare to Ableton?

Having messed around with it a little, I can see the synths and effects definitely have potential, but oh my god, that interface! Coming from Ableton, how can anyone use this thing without getting an eye sore?

Any advice or tips for those who use this? I ultimately would like to use all sorts of DAW's or programs, mostly Ableton though but it's always good to at least know how to work within other programs too. Perhaps to rewire programs into Ableton in the future? Who knows, I just know I like experimenting ;)

antarktika

Re: Just tried the demo for Reason 7...

Post by antarktika » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Reason is a cool program, not sure about 7 (used since v3, currently have 6.5), but what I always do is completely hide the mixer and arrangement panes, then it's just a virtual hardware rack where you can build more complex devices with patch cables, and you can rewire the devices out using Live's External Instrument Device. It's definitely a bit more, er colorful, so probably if you're more of a fan of minimal design, it might rub you the wrong way, but it's a fun program with a lot of interesting possibilities once you start to get the hang of it. Of course, its main selling point over other DAWS is the rack approach, so if you don't find yourself excited by that, stop worrying about it, the fact that it doesn't support external vst's really doesn't make it interesting once you've rewired it into Live, you really just have to start viewing it as a huge modular vst, somewhat like Reaktor or something.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm

I used Reason years ago, before I got into Live. Reason 3, it was. Back then Reason was self-contained and stable, and a way to get into the whole DAW thing without the huge expense and clunkiness of e.g. Cubase & the cost of acquiring VSTs etc.

You are right, once you have used Live, it is hard to go back to Reason.

But I still use it sometimes via Rewire - like a big-ass VST as antarktika said - some of the synths in it are kind of cool.

login

Post by login » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:40 pm

The GUI, two totally different schools of design, Ableton is minimalist and functionalist, Prop is skeumorphic trying to mimimc hardware workflow.

I Love Live because of its 2d down to bussines interface, reason is in a very old and obsolete place.

killingtime

Post by killingtime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 pm

I got into Reason before Live had introduced racks as a feature and really enjoyed it's take on the virtual rack. I think Lives racks were inspired by Propellerheads implementation. The one thing that keeps me returning to Reason is Thor, I think it is one of the best sounding synths out there, the sequencer side of Reason I have always struggled with, ReWire is the way to go as mentioned above. I actually enjoy the contrast in the GUI's.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Live coupled with reason (ver 7), are my production tools of trade at the moment. Reason rocks, as does live of course....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I feel what your saying! The interface and workflow is convoluted! Gives me headhache. Never had Reason myself but some of my friends were using it and never liked the "analog" approach. Its more to appeal to people who are more comfortable with analog equipement. I must say that the stock sounds were really good. I agree with everyone here about using it as external VST.