Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:11 am

I'm not sure what it's called which is perhaps why I couldn't find it in the instructions. But I recently upgraded to Live 9, and at the bottom of my previous version session view there was a timeline when I open a clip. I don't know what else to call it, as you see the waveform, and at the top are the bars, and at the bottom should be the timeline. Huge part of how I use Ableton, but now I can't find it.

Where can I turn this setting on? (and what is it called?)

thanks

marcoskohler
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:13 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by marcoskohler » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:27 am

It's right below the waveform for me.

tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:33 am

Are you using Live 9? If your clip is warped, and you're playing live, meaning you cannot change it from warped to unwarped otherwise your listener will hear that warped/unwarped...how is it displaying for you?

thanks

re:dream
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by re:dream » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:30 am

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip- ... nd-display
For warped clips, these fields display values as bars-beats-sixteenths; for unwarped clips, the display is in minutes-seconds-milliseconds.
Note: I have just looked in my Live 8 manual. It appears to be no different from Live 9.

Da hand
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by Da hand » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:15 pm

The Finn wrote:https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip- ... nd-display
For warped clips, these fields display values as bars-beats-sixteenths; for unwarped clips, the display is in minutes-seconds-milliseconds.
Note: I have just looked in my Live 8 manual. It appears to be no different from Live 9.
The manual is one thing, reality is another ;)

Once the clip is in warp mode, the timeline disappears in the clip and there is no way to see it as far as I know. It has been this way since version 8.

tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks guys, I'm actually upgrading from Live 6, this is a huge change in the way I use Live for 'live' sessions. Can't believe they took it out...doesn't make any sense to have a DAW that provides no time information like this. This is such a huge impact on how I use Live, this sucks...now I have to guess when looking at tracks/clips before playing others :|

Anyone know of some kind of third party plug in that can help, or some work around? I'm really not sure where to even look for something like this, but I believe you should have a timeline for each clip regardless if it's warped or not.

tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
tomekinc wrote:I'm not sure what it's called which is perhaps why I couldn't find it in the instructions. But I recently upgraded to Live 9, and at the bottom of my previous version session view there was a timeline when I open a clip. I don't know what else to call it, as you see the waveform, and at the top are the bars, and at the bottom should be the timeline. Huge part of how I use Ableton, but now I can't find it.

Where can I turn this setting on? (and what is it called?)

thanks
It's called Clip View and it's one half of Detail View
edit, sorry should have read the thread, just ignore! Yes, you have a timeline when it's not warped, at the bottom, and then bars and beats at the top when it's warped.
Funk, um...lol, yes, please read the problem and thread, this wasn't on point at all! perhaps just delete it all together? haha :lol:

Da hand
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by Da hand » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:59 pm

tomekinc wrote:Thanks guys, I'm actually upgrading from Live 6, this is a huge change in the way I use Live for 'live' sessions. Can't believe they took it out...doesn't make any sense to have a DAW that provides no time information like this. This is such a huge impact on how I use Live, this sucks...now I have to guess when looking at tracks/clips before playing others :|

Anyone know of some kind of third party plug in that can help, or some work around? I'm really not sure where to even look for something like this, but I believe you should have a timeline for each clip regardless if it's warped or not.
There is an indicator of how much time you have left until the clip stops playing (when not in loop mode). It appears next to the track's stop button when you play a clip on that track. When the clip is looped it is a circle and shows you the loop iterations, when not in loop mode, it shows you how much time you have left to play the clip.

For example in the pic below:

Tracks 1, 2, 4 - clips playing are looped
Tracks 3, 5 - clips are not looped and the time left is shown

Image

tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:19 am

Da hand wrote:
tomekinc wrote:Thanks guys, I'm actually upgrading from Live 6, this is a huge change in the way I use Live for 'live' sessions. Can't believe they took it out...doesn't make any sense to have a DAW that provides no time information like this. This is such a huge impact on how I use Live, this sucks...now I have to guess when looking at tracks/clips before playing others :|

Anyone know of some kind of third party plug in that can help, or some work around? I'm really not sure where to even look for something like this, but I believe you should have a timeline for each clip regardless if it's warped or not.
There is an indicator of how much time you have left until the clip stops playing (when not in loop mode). It appears next to the track's stop button when you play a clip on that track. When the clip is looped it is a circle and shows you the loop iterations, when not in loop mode, it shows you how much time you have left to play the clip.

For example in the pic below:

Tracks 1, 2, 4 - clips playing are looped
Tracks 3, 5 - clips are not looped and the time left is shown

Image
Yes, I am aware of this clock but it's only one tool to use using session view in a live performance. By not having the timeline, I am unable to see how much time there are in certain segments of a clip. As a DJ, if I am playing 2 clips at once, and looking to add 2 more clips, I see in one of the first two clips a breakdown occurring, there is no way for me to know if this break down is 30 seconds or 50 seconds...and if I'm going to insert new clips on top of it, and the new clips have certain intros, is the intro 20 seconds or 45 seconds?

Can you see how it makes using Live now complete guess work? Before it was really like clock work. Now, I have no timeline to use as a measuring stick. From using Live as a performance tool this is a major step backwards to remove this feature.

thanks

Da hand
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by Da hand » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:37 am

Yes, I completely agree that it is a step backwards. However, you will have to come to terms with the fact that this option is gone. For what you are using the timeline for, the solution is to start counting in measures instead of time.

I DJ with Ableton Live as well and I am constantly juggling mixing between 2-4 clips (and vinyls too). Knowing in exactly how many measure the sound comes in is much the same thing and in many ways even more precise. You just have to switch your thinking. It will take some time to adjust, but in the end you won't miss the timeline for this task.

The thing I miss the timeline for is more general timing issues - like if I have 5 minutes left in my set before the next guy, how long is the track that I am looking at right now to throw on? 5 minutes, 9 minutes, 15 minutes, etc...

Cheers ;)

tomekinc
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:03 am

Re: Where can I turn on 'timeline' in session view?

Post by tomekinc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:06 am

Da hand wrote:Yes, I completely agree that it is a step backwards. However, you will have to come to terms with the fact that this option is gone. For what you are using the timeline for, the solution is to start counting in measures instead of time.

I DJ with Ableton Live as well and I am constantly juggling mixing between 2-4 clips (and vinyls too). Knowing in exactly how many measure the sound comes in is much the same thing and in many ways even more precise. You just have to switch your thinking. It will take some time to adjust, but in the end you won't miss the timeline for this task.

The thing I miss the timeline for is more general timing issues - like if I have 5 minutes left in my set before the next guy, how long is the track that I am looking at right now to throw on? 5 minutes, 9 minutes, 15 minutes, etc...

Cheers ;)
This! This is very helpful, I went back and re-examined the bar structure and playing a few clips, and looks like this is the way forward. Switching the thinking, I have to start doing some on the fly math and train my brain as part of the sets to make it work (i.e. 97 bars minus 62 bars = 35 for clip one, clip two is 167 bars minus 143 bars = 24 bars, therefore 35 bars minus 24 bars is an 11 bar difference for the mix). This is a bit more tedious but is workaround. Thanks.

And your general timing issue is I think spot on for a lot of folks. For anyone joining or looking for answers, one way is in your cued up clips to either turn off warp marker or scroll to the end of the clip to see how long it is. The downside is Ableton has created several added steps where there was none before. This can get cumbersome (like the way they do search now, I have to click way more to find stuff in the Ableton drop down menus).

Thanks again Hand...

Post Reply