Launch clips: how to trigger scene with different clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
l.macchi

Launch clips: how to trigger scene with different clips

Post by l.macchi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi everybody,

i use ableton for playing with my band and we use it for playing the drum parts and various effects.

we don't use open arrangement, we have a number of n bars for each scene then we have to trigger the next scene.
we discover that is not possible to trigger the whole scene, but we have to put all the clips inside a group and assign the trigger in the group trigger options. (can you confirm me also this? is this correct?)

the problem now is: we got a group with 5 tracks.
in the first scene we have only 2 clips (for example in the first and second tracks).
in the second scene we have now 3 clip (as for the first scene, but now we also have a clip in the 3rd track)

if we set the trigger to play after n bar the second scene, it plays only the clip on same tracks that were playing before, and not trigger the new clip on the 3rd track.

Have you got any solutions?
I hope you understand my problem, sorry for my bad english.

thank you!

S4racen

Re: Launch clips: how to trigger scene with different clips

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Macchi!

if you're using follow actions you must have a clip in each scene to get them to follow on…

If your looking to trigger the next scene regardless then have a look at our Follow device, http://isotonikstudios.com/modular_max4live/ which gives you follow actions for scenes and has been massively popular with bands who use Ableton Live!

Cheers
D

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:22 am

can someone explain why grouped clips (using follow action) wont trigger clips in the next group if the previous group didnt have a clip above it?

what is the use for this, it seems incredibly counter intuitive to me, I put things in groups in real life so they do things TOGETHER. While the if/but/when options are nice its just super annoying when there doesnt seem to be an obvious way to do the most basic of things, Trigger a group of clips, make them play for so many bars, then play the next group. Simple.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:30 am

because it's not a timeline style of sequencing....thats the whole point of it....if you want to have gaps in your tracks then use the arrangement view. otherwise you need dummy clips in between on session view.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:44 am

put an empty clip if MIDI, or any audio clip and cut the volume. Done.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1