checking for two inputs on soundcard for cueing in ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siva00x0

checking for two inputs on soundcard for cueing in ableton

Post by siva00x0 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 am

previously i used to be able to see inputs 1&2 / 3&4 using ASIO4ALL on my computer. However, someone messed with my audio settings and i for some reason cannot get both inputs to work. before i go ahead and purchase an external additional audio input, i was wondering if there is a specific way to figure out whether my sound card is capable of supporting the double inputs.

my end goal is to be able to cue audio through my headphones (i have 2 jacks) while having my external laptop speakers act as monitors. since i have 2-3.5mm headphone jacks on my computer, would it be easier to plug in a set of speakers on one jack (monitor) and headphones into the other jack (preview cue)?

specs:

hp pavilion dv7-6c80us w/beats audio
windows 7 home premium
ableton live 9 suite 5

thanks!!

Re: checking for two inputs on soundcard for cueing in ableton

Post by 102455 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Forget using your onboard audio for anything. It's only there to provide sound for domestic /consumer use, not anything professional.

Also forget using ASIO4ALL. It's NOT an ASIO driver and won't give you low latency like a pro interface with genuine ASIO compatibility.

You don't need two inputs in order to cue. You need two outputs. Plus they have to be independent outputs.

Do yourself a favour and buy an external audio interface designed for the job.

divonic

Re: checking for two inputs on soundcard for cueing in ableton

Post by divonic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 pm

It is a little difficult to understand exactly what you want.

First off: Inputs are for audio sources going into your computer (microphones, synthesizers, turntables etc) outputs allow for you to hear what is going on inside the computer.

It appears that your laptop has two headphones outs. the question is if they are independent (meaning: does the one duplicate the signal of the other) or are they separately assignable outs. you probably do not want to use the internal laptop speakers because they are probably pretty low quality.

I agree with 102455 that you should get an external soundcard but if the headphone outs are independent then you can use what you have for now and save up for a quality soundcard.