what else you using

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elemental

Post by elemental » Fri May 20, 2005 11:27 am

OK so this is just an excuse to show what a gear slut i've become!!

Sound sources:

hardware
Evolver
Waldorf Pulse
Jomox airbase
Yamaha AN1x
Akai VX-90
MC-202 (modified)

software
Absynth
Reaktor
Kontakt
Battery

FX:

plugins
Waves, TC, PSP plugs,
Ohmboyz
loads more....

outboard processing
Emu e6400 ultra
Phobos Filtered Coffee (MS-20 filter)
Valve Distortion unit
Joemeek VC6Q
Focusrite Compounder (on loan)
Ibanez analog delay
Chandler digital delay
Echoplex tape delay (on loan) <- sick!
SpaceExpander spring reverb
TL-Audio FAT-1
FMR RNC

Mackie 1642-VLZ
Genelec 8040

djfm

Post by djfm » Fri May 20, 2005 1:02 pm

thanks guys i myself have just got into live and think that its amazing compaired to acid pro 5 which is what i was gonna get. Glad i didnt
cheers :D

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Fri May 20, 2005 1:40 pm

I remain a big fan of Acid 4/5. 5 is really a great update; even though I have little need for Media Manager, one of the core new features.

For some reason, between Cubase SX, Live and Acid, I still find Acid the best canvas to throw ideas together on. Doubtless it is inferior to SX in many respects, and exempting live performance, Acid still lacks some of the nice features of Live. But for me, Acid also has significant workflow advantages.

Still Acid is an excellent DAW that sucks ideas out of you. Live can sometimes be a bit too loopy for my liking All three apps have their strengths. It is really a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't be without any of them.

I use them only for producton, live performance with Live is not something I am particularly interested in. I'll use a DJ package like Traktor or Mixvibes instead as they much more closely fit the bill for the how I work things.

AlexG

Post by AlexG » Fri May 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Atari 1040 Ste W/ Notator -> Akai S950

Korg MS2000

Yamaha A4000

Yamaha RM1X -> Emu ESI 2000

Yamaha 01V

UC33

Revox B77 MK2

PIV 2.4 GHz w/ ADAT I/O to 01V

2X Technics SL1210 MK2

G4 Powerbook 12"

:-P

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri May 20, 2005 2:30 pm

AlexG wrote:Atari 1040 Ste W/ Notator -> Akai S950
Old Skoool!!

conny

Post by conny » Fri May 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Plogue Bidule.
Roland W30 workstation (!)
Melodyne (demo)
Beer. Swedish "wet tobacco".

Samples from films or homemade.

Most used instrument plugs:
MDA Piano
SFZ
Paax sampler
NoteGraphica
Light Industry
Swamp
Foorius
Synth1
UDO's stuff.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri May 20, 2005 3:56 pm

Battery

Kontakt

PSP Nitro
Ableton | Elektron

Music

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Fri May 20, 2005 5:52 pm

Soft:
Protools 6.4.1cs3
Reason 2.5
Waves 3.6
GRM Tools
Analog Delay
Bidule
Many vst's mostly free ones, I own Waves and GRM + a bunch of other protools plugs for OS9 (where I mix)

Hard:
Protools Mix+
882/20/I/O
Alesis Micron
Yamaha EX-5
UC-33e
Lexicon MPX-1
Orbit
Some audio technica mic
Crappy behringer mixer (in warranty repair right now for crappy outputs)
Event 20/20 Monitors
Hand built patchbay
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Fri May 20, 2005 5:55 pm

conny wrote: Roland W30 workstation (!)
As a controller or do you actually make sound/sequence, I own one but haven't turned it on for years... never had much fun with it
Prodigy made two albums and toured for years with three of them as his main setup... crazy.
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

conny

Post by conny » Fri May 20, 2005 6:09 pm

smart1123 wrote: Roland W30 workstation (!)
A good dust collector, most of the time.
Bought an USB interface, so it happens I play some things throgh Live with it.
But I guess it was most a fun thing to mention, I don't have any "gear"...
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

EEkevin

Post by EEkevin » Fri May 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Battery 2, Triangle II, Spider Man 2

ok, not really, but what a great flick....
"He had become his real old self again and could look you in the face."

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri May 20, 2005 11:22 pm

elemental wrote: outboard processing
Phobos Filtered Coffee (MS-20 filter)
Focusrite Compounder (on loan)
i didn't mention the platinum compounder and drawmer DL241 i have in the closet. Just don't use em anymore like i used to. I loved how the Focusrite could really squash everything out of something, but give you that tunable bass boost knob to keep it all sounding gravy.

i've checked out the Filtered Coffee and i was impressed, reminded me alot of my old MAM Warp-9 filters. I've been eyeballing AS's Black Coffee miniature modular thing as well. good stuff.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 21, 2005 4:01 am

Akai S3200xl - I couldn't live without the filters (rumour has it they were modled on the Roland Jupiter-8 filters) and the built-in FX board. Essential parts of my musical vocabulary. I can't do bottom end as well in any other instrument or app. Fat!

Ensoniq TS-12 - BIIIIG HEAVY 45kg!!!mofo workstation that used to be the sequencer for our whole show till Live came along. Now its just in the studio - nice FX section, like a DP-4.

SH101 - first synth I ever bought ('85) and I'll never sell it.

Roland R-8M drum module - I'm almost ashamed to say this, it's my hihat module! It has a random/human feature like no other.

Octapad - I'm a frustrated percussionist, keys aren't physical enough.

4 baskets of hand percussion toys.

Mackie SR24 mixer - DUB DUB DUB DUB

Boss SE-50 Multi FX x 2
Roland DEP-5
Drawmer DL221 compressor

Sennheiser MKH106 mic

shitty Behringer Truth monitors
JBL CF150 monitors - Big dumb 15" 3-ways with tons of grunt. I am a bass pervert.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sat May 21, 2005 1:21 pm

AdamJay wrote:NI Reaktor (rarely, might be on its way out if R5 doesn't "whoah" me)
Adam, can you elaborate on this a bit. I'm sorely tempted to buy Session and the 5 upgrade but can't decide whether this behemoth is for me. I've demo'd Session and like some of it but wasn't blown away.

Just like to hear some other opinions on Reaktor.
Image Image

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sat May 21, 2005 1:53 pm

polysax - Reaktor, just for the library that ships with it, plus the Electronic Instruments packages and of course, the User Library, is an incredible and diverse sound/control source and a very enjoyable thing to endlessly mess with and discover ideas.
I've had it for 3 years and have only done some very basic twiddling under-the-hood to modify other people's creations or combine modules etc.

I've spent hours making noises with it and exploring synths, but it still resides on my PC and as a bottomless pit of potential, rather than something I've had the time to fully harness. This is my loss as I know I am missing out on all that it offers by not exploiting it. I just have too many other hard n soft synths, I don't have the time to get deeply into any of them in any organised fashion, but am starting to move in that direction.. For all the sounds I could potentially conjure up, I've usually ended up composing stuff using Rhodes piano, a few bass sounds and various acoustic drum samples. Not very adventurous, but I'm determined not to lose sight of the wood for the trees and turn into a synth programmer rather than a producer of tunes...

It appears to me to be a significant task to create your own synths, sequencers and effects etc from scratch That time, for me, can be better spent getting some recording done.

Anyway, I digress ...

Even if you expect you'll be a preset junkie rather than inclined to build your own machines, I certainly don't think you'll regret investing in it. Quite the opposite, chances are you'll never feel that twinge of buyers'-regret that hits you the day after spending serious dough on another musical toy. Reaktor is very good value. Particularly if you don't already have a VSTPlugins folder stuffed to the brim.

Maybe have a think about what sort of music you create and what new sounds you might benefit from and whether a modular approach like Reaktor might be helpful/motivating?

I'll upgrade from R4 to R5 the moment it hits the shops.