AUUG - The Motion Synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
_seph

AUUG - The Motion Synth

Post by _seph » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:06 pm

I initially shared this on the wiggler forum, then with the slutz, but perhaps there will be more interest here.. there is now less than two weeks to go on the kickstarter campaign and I'd really like to see this funded, not only because I think it could be fun/useful but I'm interested in seeing the potential ripples that is causes throughout the performance world.

introducing AUUG--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOlIawT01uo

controlling Ableton--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKKZRC7THo

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189 ... into-music

This is definitely one of the more intriguing uses for an iPhone/iPod that I've yet seen and it seems like something that many of you may also find of interest.

Dec 19, 2013 is the final day of their Kickstarter campaign and they're presently around the halfway mark, in both funding and time.

getting past the very sci-fi musician-from-the-future vibe of the thing, this could be incredibly useful in either a solo or ensemble performance and much like that shown in the first vid, the multimedia potential is vast. the recently posted vid of AUUG controlling Live is more like what I had in mind but I'm also thinking that this could be very cool for those using hybrid modular systems, AUUG + Expert Sleepers?

anyway, I backed this a week ago because if nothing else my wife and I both have an iPhone4S and for $68 this looks like fun.

what do you think? is it lamer than a keytar and just another gimmicky gadget to gather dust like so many Wii-mote accessories? or, is the future now and this is an incredibly inspiring boundary-breaking instrument that has sent your mind in motion? ...personally I suspect that it will be a bit of both and I really want one

_seph

Re: AUUG - The Motion Synth

Post by _seph » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:00 pm

a great piece on AUUG ~ http://www.cultofmac.com/256718/this-do ... ckstarter/

I'm surprised by the lack of discussion/interest(?) in this Powerglove-like controller... but it is nearing the final week, there are still some $68 early bird offers and the Kickstarter goal looks within reach.

as a kid my dream of controlling my NES with a Powerglove never came true but that's ok, they looked cooler than they actually were. AUUG seems the opposite in that it appears far more functional as a controller and where a Powerglove was so fucking cool that it would have made me a god among my peers, I don't anticipate the same reaction with AUUG but I do expect it to be a tool that provides a fun and deeper connection with my digital creations.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Eh, gimmicky.

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm

I backed it, hopefully this will get 100% backing. I also backed the Kickstarter Pebble what an I'm very pleased with it.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am

I like the motion sensing, but that taped on pad controller looks silly and not very useful.
There are much better controllers for that.
But assuming the motion controls can be freely assigned, this could be very good for a few functions for dancers on stage.
(I'm thinking FX send levels 8O )
For the producer/Dj though it is much too limited (even with the pads), and since they would need their hands to control other controllers, not practical.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 am

it looks really awkward to me, and RSI inducing...

_seph

Post by _seph » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:06 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I like the motion sensing, but that taped on pad controller looks silly and not very useful.
i'm assuming that you're referring to the enclosure? i don't see it as a pad controller, but as a template so that there are distinct zones. in a way a bit like frets on a guitar, but I suppose there are benefits to a fretless instrument as well.
TomViolenz wrote:For the producer/Dj though it is much too limited (even with the pads), and since they would need their hands to control other controllers, not practical.
the one disappointment that I had with it was when I realized that it wasn't ambidextrous. this isn't because I'm left-handed, but I had thought to use this on my left hand to keep my dominant hand free for other controllers. wearing it on the left hand also makes a bit more sense to me as with a guitar, that is the hand one does all of the notes, although the motion control might get tricky.
fishmonkey wrote:it looks really awkward to me, and RSI inducing...
I hope not... its ergonomics are a concern as I have large hands but hopefully the design will be accommodating.