Jamox Xbase 09 worth getting?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xpl2003

Post by xpl2003 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:42 pm

Hi All

Bit of the subject.

Is a Jomox Xbase 09 worth getting for around £200 these days?

I see that its pure analogue drum and snare and hear it nice for electronic music.

I already have an Korg ER1 Electribe and seem to quite happy with the sound of the Microtonic drum synth which is very nice.

Would i get alot fatter and adjustable sounds with this ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Thu May 19, 2005 10:03 pm

I've read reviews that claim it to be a good 909/808 clone. Other than that I don't know, the only hardware instruments I have is a bass guitar and some fx pedals.

drush

Post by drush » Thu May 19, 2005 10:17 pm

it sounds great. the polyphony is very limited.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu May 19, 2005 10:35 pm

i think if you want a hardware drum machine, you'd get more for your buck with the Korg ESX-1. Its a sampler, so you aren't limited by sounds. it has more polyphony, and the tube really does fatten things up. and it only runs $499. add a smartmedia card reader for your computer for transfering samples.

and its RED.. I heard on NPR yesterday that far more athletes wearing RED at the last olypmpic games won their matches vs. those not wearing RED.

so get an ESX-1, and you'll be a winner!

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu May 19, 2005 10:42 pm

id get it for 200 quid! I love the sound of them..more than the ER1 / Microtonic.. but maybe thats just my taste..

btw a new version is coming out as well

http://www.jomox.com/xbase999.html

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu May 19, 2005 10:44 pm

AdamJay wrote:i think if you want a hardware drum machine, you'd get more for your buck with the Korg ESX-1. Its a sampler, so you aren't limited by sounds. it has more polyphony, and the tube really does fatten things up. and it only runs $499. add a smartmedia card reader for your computer for transfering samples.

and its RED.. I heard on NPR yesterday that far more athletes wearing RED at the last olypmpic games won their matches vs. those not wearing RED.

so get an ESX-1, and you'll be a winner!
dont you think its a different beast than the Korg Adam... get them both!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu May 19, 2005 10:51 pm

ct43 wrote: dont you think its a different beast than the Korg Adam... get them both!
well, i think if he's asking for something to give him "fatter and adjustable sounds", and he's looking for a drum machine style sequencer, then the ESX-1 must be mentioned.

and i also think that if you're just gonna wash it up with digital effects and record to a digital format (such as into Live), then the whole novelty of the analogue sound is slowly lost.

if he can afford both - then yea, Get both... but Carl, if you were to have only one or the other, wouldn't you opt for the ESX-1 and $350 left over to spend on, i dunno... something like Pluggo and Mode, or any of a million other things?

i guess i just feel like the Xbase09 is worth the $499 that the ESX-1 is, and the ESX-1 is worth the $849 that the Xbase09 is.
:lol:

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu May 19, 2005 10:59 pm

I see what you are saying.. id probably say if you really want the analogue boom of the jomox then go for it.. but like Adam is getting at, you get a lot more for your money with the korg sampler for sure.. it comes down to what you really want at the end of the day... like I would rather have my MPC than an analogue drum box, so I apprecite where Adam is coming from.

moneyclip

Post by moneyclip » Fri May 20, 2005 1:36 am

i have an jomox airbase and it does fill a space not attainable through any of my digital drum machines or samplers. all of the jomox parameters are midi controllable. from what i understand of the 09 you can progam a value in each step of your 09 sequence for every parameter of its sounds. the kick, snare and toms are generated through analog circuits and the cymbals, hats, and rimshots are 8 bit samples processed through analog envelopes. Its sound is unique and pleasing to me though definitely not exactly like an 808 or 909.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri May 20, 2005 11:47 am

I also have an airbase

its a badboy

phat kik, snappy snare, crispy hats

lovely jubbly!

saddam whosayin?

Post by saddam whosayin? » Fri May 20, 2005 5:56 pm

the Jomox has the best 808/909 bass drum, period

the microtonic does some things better the XBase and some things not as well
but the Jomox wins the fattness contest

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Sat May 21, 2005 9:47 am

I keep looking, but my jomox airbase is irreplaceable. so far.

izimizam

Post by izimizam » Sat May 28, 2005 8:21 am

My advice is get this sample cd.

AKAI s1000 / s 3000 Processed Drums.

Its cheap but really good stuff , private collection of hardwrae synth created sounds and drums , noises and also has a large jomx section . some of it out through spl vitalisers etc and valve gear.Large kicks.

Its loaded with really nice jomox samples and also loads of valve and vintage eq (hardware )processed drum sounds.Best electronic drum cd out there.

The actual jomox machine i didnt like , buggy and a pain in the arse at times but cool all the same . . . i sold mine and use samples.I use an asq10 akai sequencer for drum sequencing and an old akai sampler .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1