Please recommend a Graphics/Waicom tablet

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

Please recommend a Graphics/Waicom tablet

Post by morerecords » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 pm

For workflow: I don't want to use it for MIDI control, OSC, etc... I only care about ergonomics and workflow when using Ableton/Logic. Price is not important. Thank you for helping me!
-MR

snakedogman

Re: Please recommend a Graphics/Waicom tablet

Post by snakedogman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Any of the smaller mid-range Wacom tablets would do.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 pm

I like the little known features of my Wacom Intuos4...
The intuos4 was the only one that had an lcd screen next to the expresskeys. The 8 express keys would allow you to create macros and label the button. So if I always create '3 audio tracks, add a return track and open my second window' whenever I'm ready to do verses... In the expresskey editor I hit control+t 3 times for each audio track I want, then the command to insert a return track, then the command to open the second window (each command separated by a comma)... Then name the Button Verse. Now whenever I hit the 1 button 1 time it will set up everything for me at once... and each button is capable of doing this. Endless string of macros. And this is app specific, so I could have completely different macros when using Audacity and as I click between the 2 programs, the lcd on the Intuos4 would change to display the different functions of the buttons. There is a ton of other stuff you can do but it's been a long time since i went into the editor to do the DEEP functions

This video just gives a slight taste of the customization's and is using only simple commands, I wish there was a vid out there that demo'ed doing the complex macros.
Go to about 3 minutes...
http://youtu.be/t7PQFe9jJGY

Oh, not to mention, the Intuos tablets are the highest quality without it being the full on display models.
But Like I said, this was only in the Intuos 4...4.....4..........4. The newer Intuos 5 no longer has the led built into the tablet. (maybe someone could let us know if they ever put the led screen in any of the other models.)

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Here's another vid of the on-screen Radial pop-up from the tablet that shows a little bit if some customizing...
http://youtu.be/CmSkTjURuiM
If you watch what he's doing you will see that you can create shortcuts to anything. Intuo4 is REALLY powerful...

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 am

WOW.
Willyum, that is amazing thank you.
I love the idea of those macro buttons, I am 38 and I have just lost my left wrist to repetitive stress, I had started using the mouse with my left hand 7 years ago when the right one blew out. I love making music it's all I live for so I can't stop, the Wacom tablet is the next alternative. You can imagine those macros buttons willbe PERFECT for my condition. I found two new one remaining for sale here in Germany, one is a CAD version (whatever that means) and thother is DTE version, again- whatever that means.

These look HUGE! Is that correct? Do you recommend this size? I am very curious why they would omit the macro feature from the intuos5. I have to do some research. I will probably just get the 4 you recommend and for the macro buttons, but I do admit I am concerned that it won't be supported for Mavericks or the new MAc Pro. Why do you recommend one so big? I had thought maybe for music making a very small one would have been better since space is limited, I thought those big ones were for probably best suited for graphics pros- please let me know because that is an important concren to factor in before I buy one today. Thanks for helping me!
MR

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm not familiar with those two versions you mentioned. The Intuos 4 is available in different sizes. I've had mine a few years (I think about 4 years) when I got mine, 'Medium' was the smallest size that had the little OLED screen so I got it.

Amazon still has them, but the prices has not dropped much (I'm guessing when they came out with v5, people still preferred v4 to have the screen)
Wireless medium...$324.99 12-instock - new
http://www.amazon.com/TABLET-INTUOS-4-W ... os4+medium

Regular medium...$320.00 5-in stock - new
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos4-Med ... os4+medium

I have seen some on the web for $199

I was doing a lot of photoshop work back then so medium was perfect size. Small tablets have a tendency to make you use your wrist more because of the confined space, the larger tablets have a tendency to make people use there full forearm for movements. I think I learned about the script writing on the photoshop forums (there are a lot of repeated processes in photo editing)

I have always used Windows and still do, so unfortunately I can't confirm that the drivers are working with Mac. I would guess that they should work fine since more artistic people use Macs.
I glad that this might help your situation... And I'm guessing there are a lot cheaper solutions

I might have posted the 'used' link instead of the 'new' link... if so, the 'new' link is on the same page.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:54 pm

thanks for taking the time to write and advise me.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Man, whats up with this Wacom tablet and adjusting values? in Ableton, I mean...
try to change the track volume of any given track, really strange! and so many other knobs with this same behavior.... very frustrating, this can't be how it is, can it?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Wow, that's gotta be a bug... I haven't used my tablet in Live 9 til you posted this (I just upgraded to 9 when they announced dual screen and I have a ton of controllers)...

I've never seen anything like this before, It's acting really erratic. Which tablet did you end up getting, and are the rest of you having erratic behavior also...

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 pm

I just wrote Abes a letter to look into this. In the meantime, I would return the tablet til this is sorted out.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 am

There is an options.txt method to make Live respond to 'absolute' controls. That fixes the issue. He only weirdness is when you use a mouse again, there is the rare chance that you'll drag your mouse off the screen when adjusting a parameter haha

Edit: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:16 am

How exactly would one use a tablet like that... Does it have a screen? Do you just approximate where you're going to click? Goodness these look difficult to use.

putzart

Post by putzart » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 am

I've been using a 'Genius' tablet b that was given to me by my GEEK nephew.
works good so far. You can program it just like the higher priced tablets.