ZEBRA 10 year Anniversary - new Zebra - new DIVA

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
XSIMan

ZEBRA 10 year Anniversary - new Zebra - new DIVA

Post by XSIMan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:48 pm

All have AAX now.
ACE
Zebra
Filterscape
MFM2
Podolski
Satin
Uhbik
ZebraHZ

Zebra 2.7
New tube distortion module
AAX support for Pro Tools 10 & 11
100 new patches from Howard Scar.
Howard is the guy that works at u-he and also makes patches for Hans Zimmer who made the music for The Dark Knight movies and Man Of Steel.

The distortion module creates traditional analogue-type saturation. If used in the FX Grid, Dist can even mimic a complete guitar amp and speaker cabinet. The basic signal flow is: input stage (gain) – pre-tilt filter – distortion – post-tilt filter – post filter – output stage (gain) Type Tube class A: Simulates a complete tube preamplifier. Class-A is the 'traditional' type of tube distortion, creating both odd and even harmonics by using a single tube and apply- ing DC bias. Due to the asymmetry of the operational curve, Class A distortion sounds relatively warm. Tube class AB: Simulates a preamplifier with two tubes in a ‘push-pull’ arrangement, which leads to symmetrical distortion with no even-harmonic partials. Tube 2 stages: Mimics a tube amplifier with two class-A stages in series. Like class A, this also creates odd and even harmonics, but the results are richer and more dynamic. This mode applies additional internal filtering and feedback for more sonic complexity. At high gain settings you should hear more pronounced treble roll-off and more bass lift. Hard clip: This mode simply chops off the top and bottom of the waveform

Zebrify also got the tube distortion Module so you can use it as a tube effect plugin on anything.
Zebrify is a cut down Zebra that can be used as an effect plugin it comes in the Zebra install.

Zebra 2.7 download http://www.u-he.com/cms/
More presets for all u-he synths http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/

New DIVA 1.3 is also finished.
JP 8000 Oscillator Module
Oberheim Filter Module
Classic ARP section
60 new factory presets using the new modules
AAX support for Pro Tools 10/11!
vastly accelerated GUI opening

"Who said only analogue synths from the 70ies could be dinosaurs? Wink
We thought that the 1990ies JP-80x0 was as much a vintage dino as any analogue one. We felt that Diva would benefit if she could recreate the vibe of the JP-80x0 oscillator. Needless to say, the JP does not only have a SuperSaw waveform, it also has Feedback, PWM, TriangleMod ("wrapped triangle"), a bendable sawtooth, tuned/filtered noise and a bendable triangle.

Unlike the JP however, we merged the possibilities of both oscillators and spent both the full feature set - every knob always does something and every waveform can be played polyphonic. Out came the new Digital Osc module: "

Next up, the most requested vintage filter was then multimode filter (SVF) found in the Oberheim OB-X and SEM synthesizers. Unfortunately the only remarkable difference to the 12dB filter of the existing multimode filter in Diva was the uncompensated resonance. That is, the level goes up when resonance is turned up.

Therefore we exaggerated the non-linear behaviour of this filter. So this one has a lot of character Cool . Also, it doesn't just morph from lowpass to highpass via notch, it can also do so via bandpass:

Last but not least the most requested feature for Diva was an arpeggiator. Of course nowadays arpeggiators are most often what I call sequencers that also arpeggiate (I plead guilty!), but we decided to stick to what Diva does best: Recreate vintage vibes in a modern dress.

Thus Diva's arp is a colourful mix of various arpeggiators we've found in our vintage synth collection. Most notably, we managed to reproduce the "Leap" mode of the Crumar Spirit which does that instant TD feeling. In addition we decoupled Arpeggiator and Clock so that we can use the Clock module for future additions: "
Quoted above is copy and paste from Urs Heckman's post on KVR http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398793

Anyone feeling left out can get the free u-he synth that's been around a while but got updated a year ago.
Tyrell N6http://www.u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6

Or Podolski another free u-he synth that was updated a while back.http://www.u-he.com/cms/podolski
Last edited by XSIMan on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 20 times in total.

tedlogan

Re: ZEBRA 10 year Anniversary

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:56 pm

The tube distortion module is pretty good, gonna have to experiment with the timbres you can get on some patches combined with Satin.

I can't believe it took so long for me to find u-he and their brilliant plugins.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 pm

I've been really tempted to pick up Zebra again lately, uh oh.

mihai

Post by mihai » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 am

Tarekith wrote:I've been really tempted to pick up Zebra again lately, uh oh.
why'd you get rid of it in the first place? the new distortion module is great and it truly makes zebra complete.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 am

I was just focusing on Omnisphere at the time, and wanted the money for something else. I forgot what now.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Quick question...how cpu demanding is Zebra? Is it such a hog as Diva is?
Thanks...

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Zebra is 10 years old and was designed for very fast CPU's back then. It has had many upgrades since but still around the same CPU load. There is another version of it custom designed for Hans Zimmer for the music of the last Dark Knight movie called Dark Zebra it has DIVA filters and a few other modules that Zebra 2.7 doesn't have so is nearly as hard as DIVA to run. Zebra 3 will have these features but DIVA ones will be toned down so not to require anywhere near the same CPU as DIVA.

Zebra 2.7 has AAX support for Pro Tools 10 & 11

Main page for Zebra 10 year anniversary http://www.u-he.com/cms/

XSIMan

Re: ZEBRA 10 year Anniversary - new Zebra - new DIVA

Post by XSIMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:42 pm

I've updated my post and links now that its now all on the u-he website there's also more features than I thought so added those to my OP.
Happy Birthday Zebra

Thanks Urs, Howard and u-he. oh and Hans Zimmer

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Do you know how to find those new presets that demonstrate the new features?
Or are you supposed to remember what is old and what new?

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 pm

New DIVA comes with the new presets mixed in but also comes with a separate preset folder with just the new module ones together that you can install. It's called Extras.

New Zebra presets don't use the new tube distortion much but all the new presets are in the anniversary folder that gets installed with zebra 2.7

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 pm

can you please enlighten me where you have the info´s on the Diva 1.3. changes from ?

Cant see any signs of JP8 OSC´s/Oberheim Filter over @ KVR.com or on u-he.com ??!

deva

Post by deva » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 pm

esky wrote:Quick question...how cpu demanding is Zebra? Is it such a hog as Diva is?
Thanks...
Since Zebra is semi-modular and you can put many modules in the grid, you can make patches that are heavy on the cpu. However in practice, most patches are relatively easy on cpu.

deva

Post by deva » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:can you please enlighten me where you have the info´s on the Diva 1.3. changes from ?

Cant see any signs of JP8 OSC´s/Oberheim Filter over @ KVR.com or on u-he.com ??!
It is up there... both on kvr and on the u-he site

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 pm

XSIMan wrote:New DIVA comes with the new presets mixed in but also comes with a separate preset folder with just the new module ones together that you can install. It's called Extras.

New Zebra presets don't use the new tube distortion much but all the new presets are in the anniversary folder that gets installed with zebra 2.7
Thanks!

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:can you please enlighten me where you have the info´s on the Diva 1.3. changes from ?

Urs has to be careful how he mentions components from other synthesizers. He can only make perfect emulations of them then give clues about what it is.
The forum members on KVR speak very openly about what those components really are and it's obvious from the GUI and controls. on the main page he describes the Digital OSC as the first 90s VA. If you are into trance and supersaws you will know what that is. Every time DIVA beta has had a new version released urs makes a new fourum thread just for that version so you have to dig deep on KVR to find all the conversations about it.

DIVA vs Roland JP 8080 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwn6NCG2bdE