Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
sporkles
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by sporkles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:47 am

It's the final hours of NI's thankgsgiving sale, and I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should jump on board and upgrade to K9 Ultimate from K8 Standard. I already own Action Strings, Damage, Evolve and Evolve Mutations.

Does anyone have any good reasons to upgrade in this scenario?

Cheers.

piZMo
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:46 am
Location: London, England.

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by piZMo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

make a list of all the extra content between K8 standard and K9 ultimate, cross out any you have already got, how much is your upgrade? do you need/will you use the extra content? is that worth the money? done.

i had K8 ultimate and did upgrade to K9 ultimate because this was my list of extra content after doing the above process,

Monark
Battery 4
Action Strings
Evolve
Damage
Vari Comp
Passive EQ
Enchanced EQ
RC48
RC24
The Giant
Scarbee Rickenbacker
Abbey Road Vintage Drummer
Session Horns

my upgrade was $199/£170, for me a no brainer really.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:24 pm

sporkles wrote:Action Strings, Damage

That's the main reason I upgraded from Komplete 9 to Ultimate. Off sale and those alone would cost me $600. Now I'm getting those and everything else for $250.

If you get use out of the Heavyocity libraries you might also consider getting the Aeon Collection on sale.

http://www.heavyocity.com/product/aeon-collection/

Not a 50% discount but still discounted.

sporkles
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by sporkles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

It is a "no-brainer", and the price is insane. I was mainly asking to make sure there wasn't some angle I hadn't considered. I've been a little "deal crazy" lately, buying things because the price was so fantastic. With the NI sale, it was like reason suddenly kicked in. Also, it didn't seem like owning so much of the included content could get you any further discount.

Re: Aeon - that's where I draw the line,actually. I like the whole hybrid sound thing, but I feel that I should be able to design my synth sounds myself. The Evolve libraries can be useful for padding, but lately I've been hearing so many sounds in film and TV that are so obviously from one of these libraries that I'm more and more determined to roll my own.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:54 pm

sporkles wrote:Re: Aeon - that's where I draw the line,actually. I like the whole hybrid sound thing, but I feel that I should be able to design my synth sounds myself. The Evolve libraries can be useful for padding, but lately I've been hearing so many sounds in film and TV that are so obviously from one of these libraries that I'm more and more determined to roll my own.

To be fair if you watch the tutorials there is a lot of manipulation you can still do with the sounds to make them your own. It just allows you to be super lazy about it and I’m sure a lot of producers are. I’m not opposed to being that lazy, as long as the entire song isn’t a stack of unchanged sample loops. :wink:

sporkles
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by sporkles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Heh, yeah I agree, and when you're working on a project that isn't simply your own hobbyist music, taking these shortcuts is downright necessary sometimes. This is why I'm not opposed to using sounds from Heaviocity and Alchemy banks to glue my songs together.

Ah, well; I've already forgotten half of the VST's andd sounds I own, so I really don't think K9 would have that much to offer at the end of the day. Speaking of which; It's too late for the NI sale now anyway, as I'll be away from my computer till tomorrow evening. Money saved!

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 pm

sporkles wrote:It's too late for the NI sale now anyway, as I'll be away from my computer till tomorrow evening. Money saved!

Well, that and you’d have plenty of time to regret the purchase seeing as at last estimate it was a 4 – 8 week shipping time. A lot easier to regret purchasing something when you can’t even use it for a while. :wink:

sporkles
Posts: 3203
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Schmocation

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by sporkles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Touche - I thought the exact same thing when I saw the estimated delivery time. I am happy to report that I don't feel any emptier even though I didn't get K9U. :lol:

jestermgee
Posts: 3982
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 am

I managed to just get in before they ran out of stock. 1 week delivery from singapore to Adelaide Australia AND because I purchased the HDD version of Komplete 8 U they included the mini HDD for the K9 upgrade too.

Wasted no time in using several of the Evolve sounds in a short film project.

This is where the K9 stuff shines for someone like me. As sporkles said, when you need to compile content for other projects, films etc it can be a hell of a task knowing you have to design all the ambient soundtrack stuff from scratch. I like using a simple preset then pad around that. Gets things moving quick smart. At the end of the day if it fits the hole who cares what material the peg is made from.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Looks like I’m going to have to fire off an email to NI support/sales. When I ordered K9U the estimated shipping time was 5-8 days. I order it on Nov. 30 and it’s Dec. 16 and it hasn’t shipped. I better not have gotten lumped in with the 4 – 8 weeks unfortunates. :x

jestermgee
Posts: 3982
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:02 pm

beats me wrote:Looks like I’m going to have to fire off an email to NI support/sales. When I ordered K9U the estimated shipping time was 5-8 days. I order it on Nov. 30 and it’s Dec. 16 and it hasn’t shipped. I better not have gotten lumped in with the 4 – 8 weeks unfortunates. :x
That is strange because I ordered mine on December 1 and it was here 1 week later, no delay and no question...

The only thing I can think of is I paid extra for K8U to get the HDD version because I liked the idea of unattended installation. Perhaps all the backlog orders are for the DVD version?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:10 pm

jestermgee wrote:
beats me wrote:Looks like I’m going to have to fire off an email to NI support/sales. When I ordered K9U the estimated shipping time was 5-8 days. I order it on Nov. 30 and it’s Dec. 16 and it hasn’t shipped. I better not have gotten lumped in with the 4 – 8 weeks unfortunates. :x
That is strange because I ordered mine on December 1 and it was here 1 week later, no delay and no question...

The only thing I can think of is I paid extra for K8U to get the HDD version because I liked the idea of unattended installation. Perhaps all the backlog orders are for the DVD version?

All the Ultimate versions come on HDs because it would be too many DVDs.

I’m a little confused on what you got because you mention both K8U and K9U. I’m upgrading from K9 to K9U.

jestermgee
Posts: 3982
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 pm

beats me wrote:
jestermgee wrote:
beats me wrote:Looks like I’m going to have to fire off an email to NI support/sales. When I ordered K9U the estimated shipping time was 5-8 days. I order it on Nov. 30 and it’s Dec. 16 and it hasn’t shipped. I better not have gotten lumped in with the 4 – 8 weeks unfortunates. :x
That is strange because I ordered mine on December 1 and it was here 1 week later, no delay and no question...

The only thing I can think of is I paid extra for K8U to get the HDD version because I liked the idea of unattended installation. Perhaps all the backlog orders are for the DVD version?

All the Ultimate versions come on HDs because it would be too many DVDs.

I’m a little confused on what you got because you mention both K8U and K9U. I’m upgrading from K9 to K9U.
I upgraded from K8U to K9U. When I purchased K8U there was an option to choose DVD (I think it was 12 DVDs) or you could choose HDD. Not sure if they ONLY offer HDD anymore but it's a much better option.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Should I upgrade to Komplete 9 Ultimate?

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Hmm, just my Komplete 9 (not Ultimate) was about 12 DVDs. Maybe they added a lot more sample content from K8U to K9U. I’m pretty sure HD is your only install option now.

Post Reply