Thinkpad Yoga for Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Moosebear

Thinkpad Yoga for Live?

Post by Moosebear » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Anyone running one of these new machines with Ableton yet? I'm wondering how the Wacom digitizer pen might be for editing midi or other fine tasks. And also wondering how the onboard audio latency is. I'm also considering the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. (lighter, but screen res. that's probably overkill)

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/th ... ries/yoga/

yur2die4

Re: Thinkpad Yoga for Live?

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

I was really close to picking up a Yoga 2 Pro, but went with something else (a boring 17" laptop). I still want one very badly, and I think a fully loaded one Should handle Live alright. As long as you're not running like 20 tracks of Diva or something. One thing that made me hesitant is that I couldn't find vids of people using the Y2P with Livs on YouTube haha. They use the 4500u processor on the i7 models. I don't know if that means much.

In anticipation for owning a touchscreen computer (one I ordered hasn't shipped yet), I've been testing Alice's absoluteMouseMode with my old Wacom graphire tablet. I used it before and after implementing the feature, and there was a huge improvement in knob/fader/scroll usability.

Personally, I prefer to see the objects on the surface which I'm touching. So for the particular Wacom device I used, there was a little awkwardness with aiming. But only because I wasn't used to it. It really works fine.

Moosebear

Re: Thinkpad Yoga for Live?

Post by Moosebear » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/ ... -yoga.html

There's a healthy discussion on the Thinkpad Yoga, although I can't find anything pertaining to audio.

I'm currently torn between Yoga 2 Pro, Thinkpad Yoga, and Macbook Pro Retina 13". The thing that is weird is that the choice between touchscreen Windows 8 and Mac is now so starkly contrasting.

There's the Mac with oldish-school tech that mostly works. (current MBP latency issues waiting to be resolved) And Apple's outstanding customer support.

Then there's the wild west of a PC maker like Lenovo,probably with crap customer service and a bleeding-edge touchscreen device that no-one seems sure of the utility of. Part of me wants to be part of trying though. A year or two from now we might all want touch screens for music. Who knows. However, that might just be a distraction from getting the music done. Not sure.