Anyone interested in this? (midi control scripting system)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fall

Anyone interested in this? (midi control scripting system)

Post by fall » Fri May 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi,

I'm programming a simple scripting system meant for controlling musical software like ableton. Basically it allows you to send midi messages based on the mouse wheel, buttons and position, joystick buttons and sticks, and keypresses.

The way it works is you write simple scripts that define rules, like this :

Code: Select all

IF
	+= @START 1
THEN
	SET wheelpos 63
IF
	-= @MOUSEWHEEL 0
THEN
	ADD wheelpos @MOUSEWHEEL
	LIMIT wheelpos 0 127
	CONTROL 1 1 $wheelpos
I'm not going to go into the syntax, but what this means is that at the start of the program, a variable (wheelpos) is set to 63. The second if-statement checks the mousewheel - if it's moving, the variable wheelpos is increased/decreased accordingly, and a midi control message is sent (using the CONTROL command, here message 1 is sent on channel 1).

In Ableton, I mapped this control message to the crossfader, and voilà, I could crossfade using my mousewheel (with a slightly modified version of that script for optimal usage).

There is no wywiwyg interface, so you have to script everything that you want to happen, and I know the syntax of the scripting language is a bit unconventional, but there really are a lot of possibilities, and it's relatively simple... For instance, you could write a rule that, whenever you hold shift and joystick button 1 (or whatever), your joystick's analog stick can be used to control a filter's curoff and resonance by sending a midi message on channel X. Pressing a different key or button could change channel X to another channel and from that moment your analog stick controls another synth's filters. There's even PRINT commands that you can use for debugging or showing information, or a PROMPT command

I have yet to implement most of the functions, but it's already working great for two days of work. I'm planning to also incorporate a midi-trough-network feature, but I'm not sure if that will work out.

Anyway, I was wondering who here would be interested in this system. And if you are, would you be willing to pay a small amount for it?

I'm also looking for people who'd be willing to test it for me.

You can post any ideas, suggestions, etc here. Or any ideas for a name for this program would also be appreciated :)

(sorry for the long post).

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sat May 21, 2005 3:00 am

Checkout MIDIOx....

It has a COM Component, that allows all this and more in any language.

-Ben

fall

Post by fall » Sat May 21, 2005 10:43 am

Yes, I'm well aware that there are plenty of dll's available that allow you to output midi... In fact I'm using one in my system.
It's something I'm making as a test, but I think it's useful (to me at least). There's a difference between writing an entire program, using com components, figuring out how to read joystick input, compiling it, etc, or just writing some simple rules (once you know the syntax a little) that allow you to route different inputs devices to midi messages. Both can achieve the same results, but I think using my system is easier than programming everything yourself.
Right now, I've got it configured so that pressing the shoulder buttons on my ps2-style-pad selects a different ableton channel, and pressing another button plays a random clip in that channel - writing this a script like that only takes 5 minutes with my system, without having to recompile if I make changes to it.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat May 21, 2005 12:30 pm

I'm pretty interested...

I have written VB to do some pretty trippy stuff with Live and also trying to emulate some of ControlAid's capabilities...

anything to help would be appreciated.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sat May 21, 2005 12:38 pm

yep, i'd gladly give that a try.
keep us posting, once your thing is ready and released i'm sure a lot of ppl here will turn up.