Building a kick drum with Ableton.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kymatica_Official

Building a kick drum with Ableton.

Post by Kymatica_Official » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 am

Hi,

In the past I've sampled kicks from other tracks but now I want to 'build' my own. I've got a sample pack of 909 audio kicks, they sound pretty weak when played next to a sampled kick drum from a sampled track. So my question is, how do I get my 909 kicks to kick better? I make techno tracks, btw.

Would layering an operator my kick be the best method?

Kymatica_Official

Re: Building a kick drum with Ableton.

Post by Kymatica_Official » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll look forward to seeing that PM.

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Would also be interested in that tutorial funk n furter :wink:

Recently been trying to do the same thing, my friend who has made some great banging techno and has started getting his stuff released has been helping me out, he says he uses at least 3 kicks layered and eq'd seperately, my kicks have started sounded a bit better, well in one project pretty heavy hard techno type kick, through 4 kicks layerd. But get this, id never heard this before he said then after getting your kick sounding good he puts another kick where a hat would be in a separate track and sidechains it to the main kick and it creates a whomp effect, got it kinda happening but not as good as his tracks, hes on an oil rig just now and says he will make me a video tutorial on it when hes back, he just left last week when he started helping me properly.

Dunno though his techno is good but it is awfully hard, well that heavy kick. makes me think of verging on hardcore german techno but not gabba, not distorted the 150bpm type hard stuff, but I want my kicks like 138-142 jeff mills esquey, prefer that style of techno, well old style jeff mills, got an mpc kick sample pack and that sounded closer but not tried much with it, more into dnb tbh and doing that but been trying to make some techno recently and the problem was weak kicks, my mate always said the same but now starting to get hard kicks, but as I say bit too hard, but good and progress is being made :wink:

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Funk-N-Furter how dare you start helping people!!! :wink:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

ObiKaNobi

Post by ObiKaNobi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm

I am just now getting into creating my own kick sound with layering. When I initially started, I don't know about you but I'd take a kick sample and throw an EQ8 on there with an effect or two and make it sound like my own. I eventually realized by only using one kick sound on top of EQing it, I was limiting the tones I could create. Thus, I decided to take a low-end kick and layer it under a mid-range kick, so I'd have the best of both worlds so to speak, the nice low-end kick with a punchy mid-range.

I learned this neat little trick from Sadowickproductions on Youtube. When EQing a kick, scoop out the 100khz to 150khz range, then roll off the sub bass around 25khz - 35khz. Scooping the mid-low end solidifies the kick sound and kind of thickens it up in a sense, almost adding more variety to it in a way, making it more of my own. Not to mention it just helps when it comes to mixing the tracks kick with the bass line, it just comes together better as not as many frequencies are being played at once (think of a really muddy kick sound because of too much bass at once)

What I really love to do is eventually learn to create my own kick sounds from a simple waveform, then layer those, so the kick will be 110% my own creation.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am

Kymatica_Official wrote:Hi,

In the past I've sampled kicks from other tracks but now I want to 'build' my own. I've got a sample pack of 909 audio kicks, they sound pretty weak when played next to a sampled kick drum from a sampled track. So my question is, how do I get my 909 kicks to kick better? I make techno tracks, btw.

Would layering an operator my kick be the best method?

Usually I layer an "analog" sounding 808 style sub kick with a sampled Kick of some sort. Tuning does play a big role. I usually don't go tuning crazy though, maybe just adjusting the punch kick by a few semitones. If you get too off, you can lose your punch.

Other things that play roles (EQ, compression, sidchaining, Highpass filtering of the punch kick, distortion, even limiting at times). Usually only a couple of those may be required for a song but at different times you need to know when to use those tools.

Also consider that sampled tracks are mastered so they will have some extra processing that might be hard to achieve on your own but it should be possible to get about 90-99 percent there.

For my 808s, I get good results using NI Massive. It can do some powerful sub kicks and it has extra tube effects that sound nice on a Kick drum.

For sampled kicks, there is so much free stuff out on the web that it shouldn't be to hard to find some good ones.

Using naked sampled 909s and 808s will often sound dull because they are unprocessed, but it is often easier to just find a sampled 909 or 808 with the processing already on it but then you never really learn how the sound was achieved.