master fader

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
TomViolenz

Re: master fader

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:22 pm

fishmonkey wrote:your ears should be able to tell you which tracks and sounds are causing the problem...
This is not helpful! :roll:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:27 pm

i'm serious. it is tempting to want to rely on visual displays, but in the end it's your ears that may need to be trained...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:37 pm

fishmonkey wrote:i'm serious. it is tempting to want to rely on visual displays, but in the end it's your ears that may need to be trained...
My ears are telling me something is clipping, yes. They don't tell me which track does though.
Often two tracks have a peak in loudness at the same time, but only the reduction of the gain of one, will get rid of the clipping.
BTW: It's about convenience and workflow and how fast I find the offending track, not any inability on my part to find the track in question at all.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i'm serious. it is tempting to want to rely on visual displays, but in the end it's your ears that may need to be trained...
My ears are telling me something is clipping, yes. They don't tell me which track does though.
Often two tracks have a peak in loudness at the same time, but only the reduction of the gain of one, will get rid of the clipping.
BTW: It's about convenience and workflow and how fast I find the offending track, not any inability on my part to find the track in question at all.
again, it's more to do with training and practice than anything else.

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:24 pm

I've always wanted to be more vigilant with this advice, but I have a few routings that take advantage of signals arriving at unity gain.

Furthermore, it is now possible to save each of your track types and their included devices as a default, including the fader level. Look at the option in your contextual menu when you click your Track headers. Bringing in new tracks at -12db isn't a bad idea. Still, my issue with this is that Live makes a distinction between Default, which can be stored for future use, and Reset, which is always the "neutral" position when you press delete on a parameter. That said, when you clear the current position on the fader, it will still snap to 0.

I do like the advice of using Utility as the gaining stage and the faders as riding the levels for the mix. I always thought of these functions the other way around. And then not touching the Master Fader.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

I guess as a follow up to this last comment, could we come to a consensus? If we are putting a Utility inline to manage the gain stages of our final mix, is the agreed advice to put them only on the input channels or rather the input gain-ie the initial sound sources?

(If this is the correct answer, personally I would still stick with a utility rather than a chain volume or a clip gain, even if this is more at the source. The reason being that there is more information to be gathered from seeing well-scaled troughs and peaks in a wave view than there is in attenuating the wave form such that its visible contours are lost.)

Or are you also putting them on your sub-mixes, returns, resampling tracks (if you've set one aside), and Master?