CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP!

Post by lolalola » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:14 am

Freaking out. Help.

Ok, so I had a load of doubles of plugins which had been mapped to automap (which I never use). (Eg, in my vst browser, I would see Permut8.vst, along with Permut8.vst (Automap) ... and so on) I never, ever use automap, so I deleted those versions.

My plugins are all still there, all fine. I can load 'regular' Permut8, can load Effectrix, etc, etc...

But.

When I've been opening sets up tonight, most simply crash on opening. One set told me it was due to Permut8. So I uninstalled that, and the set opens up ok. I can see the 'Permut8 (Automap)' version was used in that set, and as it's disabled it'll open, but some sets simply will not and crash - even when I drag in one by one each track from the file browser. (Eg, when I try to drag in a track called 'pads' from a different set, it crashes immediately, but won't specifically tell me what the issue was).
This is a disaster for me, as I can't even know what plugins were on the track that won't open!!

What do I do here?

jestermgee

Re: CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP-CRASH-HELP!

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 am

Hmmm. Having a hard time figuring out what your topic is about. I think... maybe... you are having crash issues and require some assistance ?
[/sarcasm]

PC or MAC?
Is it just that VST?

Here is what I would do to figure out what is causing crashes:

- If you think it may be automap and you don't use automap, get rid of it and the dll files it created.
- empty ALL your VST plugins from the scan folder (this folder should ONLY have the VST DLL files installed within anyway. Be sure you DO NOT have the program or library files within your VST folder location.
- Try loading any projects that would not load before. If they load but complain of a VST missing then close ableton and get the dll for THAT VST ONLY and put it back into the folder. You don't need to uninstall the VSTs at all, just stop ableton from trying to scan them in.
- If placing the VST back causes a crash again, focus on that. If Ableton actually loads but it is just the project that crashes then see what happens if you just open a new project then drag in that VST. If it crashes Ableton, uninstall VST and re-install again.
- If you find that you can load the VST fine but not the project try open Live and then in the Live browser, locate your project and try and import it into a new set. Also try "expand" the project and try and drag in just the VST track causing issues.
- If you only have a specific VST causing the issues, contact the VST developer.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 am

one option is to use the Automap Server to temporarily re-wrap all your plugs. that should enable you to open the sets again.

i recently ditched my Nocturn and uninstalled Automap completely from my system. it's another layer of crap i can't be bothered dealing with any more...

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:20 am

jestermgee wrote:Hmmm. Having a hard time figuring out what your topic is about. I think... maybe... you are having crash issues and require some assistance ?
[/sarcasm]

PC or MAC?
Is it just that VST?

Here is what I would do to figure out what is causing crashes:

- If you think it may be automap and you don't use automap, get rid of it and the dll files it created.
- empty ALL your VST plugins from the scan folder (this folder should ONLY have the VST DLL files installed within anyway. Be sure you DO NOT have the program or library files within your VST folder location.
- Try loading any projects that would not load before. If they load but complain of a VST missing then close ableton and get the dll for THAT VST ONLY and put it back into the folder. You don't need to uninstall the VSTs at all, just stop ableton from trying to scan them in.
- If placing the VST back causes a crash again, focus on that. If Ableton actually loads but it is just the project that crashes then see what happens if you just open a new project then drag in that VST. If it crashes Ableton, uninstall VST and re-install again.
- If you find that you can load the VST fine but not the project try open Live and then in the Live browser, locate your project and try and import it into a new set. Also try "expand" the project and try and drag in just the VST track causing issues.
- If you only have a specific VST causing the issues, contact the VST developer.

Mac. Well, the thing is I already ditched the Automap, which seems to have caused this problem. And I don't know exactly which vst's are screwy, because I can't load the specific track to see what's been used on it....

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:34 am

fishmonkey wrote:one option is to use the Automap Server to temporarily re-wrap all your plugs. that should enable you to open the sets again.

i recently ditched my Nocturn and uninstalled Automap completely from my system. it's another layer of crap i can't be bothered dealing with any more...
I think this might've done it ... so far so good....
Yeah, I re-installed Autoshite, and so far things look ok. Not tried every suspect set, but fingers crossed.
Muchas Gracias! Your id is nothing to do with fishmonkeyman by any chance?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 am

nup!