Ableton Operator vs Access Virus TI2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cementdrums

Ableton Operator vs Access Virus TI2

Post by cementdrums » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 am

This post is intended to find out if ableton's built in instruments and effects can produce the type of sounds produced by the Access Virus TI2.

If it's just a matter of learning Operator, I think I'd rather save the $2000+ price tag of the TI2 and spend some time studying Ableton's devices.

If it's simply not possible to achieve those types of sounds using Ableton's instruments and effects, I'd like to know so I can start saving up for the Virus.

Thanks for your input and opinions!

Tarekith

Re: Ableton Operator vs Access Virus TI2

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:17 am

Not sure you can do it all in something like Operator, but definitely in something like Zebra or Omnisphere, maybe Alchemy.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:18 am

I think its hard to compare a Virus TI with Omnisphere.
But today you can get alike results with softsynths, but
It will still be diffrent to work with. I`ve got my hands
on a Virus B with Claviatur and a TI racked one. and the
feeling play with hardware is just different, while the sound
is very unique. In Example with the Clavia Nordlead coming effects
like rubberband they are hard to copy authentic, and also some
virus sounds will sound not-virus alike if you redo them with software.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:41 am

Omnisphere has sound sources sampled from the Virus Indigo. However, the filters and FX are not the same, and this is what usually differentiates them.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 pm

its not only that - the formant in the TI you have not sampled in Omnisphere.
Ok you can get a good software formant - but this one will not sound like a virus.
You will end up with one softsynth mimic leads alike a nordlead, one mimic bass
like moog, one mimic FX like a virus (the viral bass also not bad) but you
will not get the ONE all-in-wonder plugin. So its a decicion of workflow,
goal and also depending on money to spent in a load of plugins you need
learn to handle, are just get used to one hardware synth you learn.
I think the combo of a little phatty, a nordlead and a virus is not
bad on the hardware-side. combine this with good mastering plugins
from waves and you will be good. taking all this money and put it
into a new computer and loads of plugins and maybe you will be also
in a good shape. the virus is good solid rocking synth you will not
regret to learn synthesize sounds with it. Once you know it well
you can do a lot with it, while with softsynths there always maybe
one which do it warmer or easyier.

my best friend decided to avoid digital DAWs, while am going through the plugIns-Hell.
the snow was replaced by a ti and in the rack is now a finaliser - but only one!
so for things like sidechaining only hardware is a hell on its own.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:06 pm

An odd comparison.

The TI has alot of ways of making its basic sounds. It really depends on what you are after - the virus sound came from its filters and fx as much as the basic sound generation. If you want a virus like sound, then you need the virtus. If you were allways trying to stretch it to get a non virus like quality to the sound, then you want something else.

If you want a soft synth that is quite decent for re-create some older virus like sounds with a distaictly virus like feel to them, then I think zebra is perhaps on of the best choices in a soft synth that I know of, at least for the kind of sounds you could get out of the VA part of the a virus (ie what the model B/C could do as well).

If you are after re-creating TI wavetable like sounds via FM, then sure, operator can probably acheive some technically similar waveforms, but live's filters and fx are definately not access virus filters and fx (not saying either is good or bad, just very different).

Another soft synth that do alot of virus TI like thing is camel audio alchemy. It wont do every sound a virus can, but it does alot of other things as well and can do some really cool stuff with samples - like turning a tiny vocal clip into a lush pad etc for doing so really nice vocal fx blends etc.

Another soft synth that it seems alot of virus owner have moved onto is sylenth. Its not really virus sounds, but maybe is because its a really easy to program software synth that can do classic virus territory rather than the new TI specific stuff). again - that not to say it sounds to me like a virus. Perhaps a bit nordish, or at least somehwere between a virus b and a nord lead sound wise - a little soft on the high end mabe, but not as soft as a virus? (but Ive not actually owned a nord just played with them, but still have a TI).

In the end - its its virus sound character you like, than you need a virus. It is possible to be weaned off a virus - eventually (though slightly harder for older folks who were around in the virus e, opps, b fuelled trance years) :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:but definitely in something like Zebra or Omnisphere, maybe Alchemy.

And he could get all 3 of those for a total price that is almost half of what a Virus costs.

Just sayin’.

merges

Post by merges » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:20 pm

It's all about the knobs. If you like hard-wired-ish buttons and knobs to quickly tweak your sounds, a Virus is the way to go.

Zebra and Alchemy sound fantastic but unless you do lots of funky midi-mapping to your controller you'll be using your mouse a lot.

I think this is analogous to a digital SLR vs. a very button-heavy, menu-driven digital camera. The SLR just lets you focus on taking pictures, and keeping your hands on the controls. The pocket digi-cam makes you pull away and press all kinds of buttons to change a setting. They both take wicked pictures.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 am

beats me wrote:
Tarekith wrote:but definitely in something like Zebra or Omnisphere, maybe Alchemy.

And he could get all 3 of those for a total price that is almost half of what a Virus costs.

Just sayin’.
And they would be able to play lots of parts or layer to your hearts content etc. I can remember a patch on my TI I used somethmes that basically turned it into a mono-synth (some layered multi).

Hardware is just a pain to be productive with, but its great to experiment and play with.

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:50 am

Zebra has round type of timbres, if u're looking for sharp ones like Virus has, u should check Spire http://www.reveal-sound.com/

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:51 am

^^ Sharp???

Maybe you mean it in a different way. Much as I love the virus sound, I can remember spending alot of time trying to some decent sounding high end out of its sounds or doing wierd shit with modulation to try to get the attacks harder etc (befor they added the later features to the TI).

neeve82

Post by neeve82 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:40 pm

i think that by using operator, analog and even sampler and layering them in the instrument rack you can get virus sounds.

you could check out puremagnetik's free waveframe pack this week only to see how they use several voices/oscilators per patch.
you can also check this tutorial to see how they stack an operator and an analog for great results:
http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique ... dark-pads/ (it's not virus like, but that's not the idea).

if you don't mind using your mouse a lot then you could go for this.

Galt

Post by Galt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:35 am

merges wrote:It's all about the knobs. If you like hard-wired-ish buttons and knobs to quickly tweak your sounds, a Virus is the way to go.

Zebra and Alchemy sound fantastic but unless you do lots of funky midi-mapping to your controller you'll be using your mouse a lot.

I think this is analogous to a digital SLR vs. a very button-heavy, menu-driven digital camera. The SLR just lets you focus on taking pictures, and keeping your hands on the controls. The pocket digi-cam makes you pull away and press all kinds of buttons to change a setting. They both take wicked pictures.
Best argument against hardware synths like ever.

:x

cementdrums

Post by cementdrums » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks so much everyone for the input. This has been helpful.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 pm

None of Lives instruments sound anything like a virus to me.