Has Anybody Checked Out the New Toshiba 3500 Laptop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Has Anybody Checked Out the New Toshiba 3500 Laptop?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:18 am

What do you think???? :)

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:29 pm

ok well damn here's a link

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... sp?comm=CS

whats your opinion of running live, reason 2.0, and an audio sequencer?

do you think this has enough power and flexibility to get the job done?

Stubby

Post by Stubby » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:23 am

that is a very cooool laptop, and toshiba is known for their quality, I wonder how well live would perform on it, but it defenitly would be cool to do some recording and then turn the screen around and edit that way right on the screen, thats even better than a pentablet. what is the xp tablet software version all about. I hope that doesn't mean that it doesn't run regular programs or that the touch screen works only inside some microsoft organizer or something like that. I'm going to def look into this one though, it even looks as good as a powerbook. 8)

martyn356

Tablet PCs

Post by martyn356 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:45 pm

Hi,

The Tablet PCs that are currently available look good but are not powerful. They are less powerful than a normal laptop. They have been designed to operate for long battery life, as opposed to powerful processing. Demanding applications like Live, Reason etc. will currently run better on a normal desktop PC or one of the more powerful laptops.

I think you will have to wait a couple of generations (2 years) before Tablet PCs really offer the similar 'oomph' that standard laptops offer.

martyn :(

Stubby

Post by Stubby » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:17 pm

Martyn, I think that this toshiba is over a 1.5ghz P3 or p4m, don't quote me on that but anyway it also maxes out at over a gig of ram, and the hard drive goes up to a 5400 60gig drive. are you sure thats not enough for reason and Live???,
and I thought that the powersaving features could be disabled or you could just keep it plugged into the wall cause I think all laptops go sour when you unplug them, when it comes to music.

what do you think of those specs?

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:42 am

Specs aside, these things still have smallish screens. That one is the biggest one I've seen yet, but still measures in at 12". There's a lot of powerbook users using a screen this size, so I guess it's usable. It's all preference.

We all love toys, but as the saying goes, it's not the size that matters, it's how the wizard waves his wand.
I am the bumpitron.

Stubby

Post by Stubby » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:34 am

So what.....do you think of those specs?