Bitwig 1.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Bitwig 1.0

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am

The Finn wrote:
H20nly wrote:glad you made it through Finn, even if the Ibanez didn't.
The Ibanez did make it, in a way. I sold it to the Cape Town Jazz Workshop, an awesome organization that provides hundreds of people with musical tuition every year.

So I know it is being played a lot more than it would have been if it had stayed with me, and is giving loads of people pleasure and instruction!

Yikes, this talk is making me want to play a bass again. 8)
hey... look at that as a success then... you gave music to the world... you got food... and here you are... i'd say the circle is complete if it weren't an upward spiral :wink:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 am

H20nly wrote:what makes you play with it low like that?

i honestly don't even fully grasp all those aspects. the town i grew up in was close to Mexico and limited on certain resources... I was just glad to have a bass, an amp and a tuner as a kid. the guys i jammed with said i had good count... the drummer would follow me... i never put much thought in it... i was too concerned with not messing up.
i learned in the cover tune frame of mind where i always thought how good you are was based on how many songs you knew and/or how complex they were. i never considered myself very good because i'd make mistakes or couldn't play this or that song...
later I got caught up in high school drama, girls and partying and such and put the bass down because i was over the Motley Crue, Guns N Roses and Black Sabbath type shit that I knew how to play while striving for Cliff Burton Metallica chops etc. My music tastes shifted to stuff that I either couldn't play, didn't have playable riffs (A Tribe Called Quest, Method Man) or was way past my skill (Rage Against the Machine). So i would always pick at a bass or sometimes pick at mine but never more... Still, always trying to play or remember how to play someone else's song. I even play a guitar likes it's a bass...
Some years went by with no playing at all and finally my mom gave me an old one... she had picked it up. Since then I've just noodled and started writing my own song... so to speak... never could remember anything and never took formal classes so all would be lost once I set the instrument down.
I finally got Cubase and started recording... looping and slicing and dicing has been what's got me back in to it... I have chops in me (or so I've been told) but not the consistency. Being able to noodle and try to get something right and then finally splice it all together has been whats given me new found inspiration.
I wish I would have learned proper... and put in the practice time all these years. :oops:

i love it though.

anyway... sorry for the long diatribe. this threads properly derail so what the hell... at least were talking about making music.
Happy whats left of Friday from California.
cheers!

oh and eyeknow the question at the beginning of my spew was the reason for it... I was trying to explain why I just went at it rather than ever learning the science of it. the bridge always scared me... :P
Not quite sure I follow. @action: really most player have the action pretty low. The idea is to get what you can with technique, and not brute force. Besides, at my age, my hands/wrist are sufficiently screwed up to the point where the road of less resistance is the best traveled. There is something to "diggin' in" with a bass, but If I practiced lets say a week, I'd be back up to speed and "touch" would be the key.

The way you played is perfectly acceptable. And you are right, despite the "off topic" nature, it's music, which is kinda what we are all here for. This thread has taken a turn for the best.....I'm enjoying it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 am

Tone Deft told me that taking your guitar to a louvier and having the intonation properly done up is the way to go... i guess i never had a bass that was high enough quality to think about it.. i didn't even know that was something you could get done until he sung its praises. have you ever done that with your Ibanez?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 am

Not the fretless. I do my own setups on the few instruments I have. The 5 sting fretted I have is ridiculously low. Like 2mm on the B string and 1mm on the "G" string. It's not quite that low yet on the fretless (though I could, and probably will)

The scary thing about the fretted is that it could be lower with a fret level. I just don't know if I trust the people in this area (sac-ish cali) to do it. I've not had the best of luck with techs in this area. In LA, there are so many serious set up kings you have your choice.

Funny story, you've heard of "Victor Wooten" I'm sure? I swear to G, he keeps the action SO LOW on his bass it's virtually unplayable to anyone but him. Just to give you an idea.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:22 am

Never heard of him...

I'm an hour south of sac-ish Cali...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 am

^ nice... i checked him out after the post where you mentioned him. class act. :)