DRUM RACK VS INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SAMPLES

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Drum Rack or Individual samples

Drum Rack
78%
Samples
22%

Total votes: 45

aldred09

DRUM RACK VS INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SAMPLES

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Pretty easy question, do you like the drum rack or do you prefer dragging and dropping samples for a beat?

beats me

Re: DRUM RACK VS INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SAMPLES

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Not really an easy question. You drag and drop samples into a drum rack. So I'm not really sure what your question is.

DefCone1

Post by DefCone1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Much easier to work with drum racks IMO, I've tried both and every time I work with audio, I just end up double clicking trying to bring up another note, then remember I'm not on a midi clip. I like having easy access to the velocities of my drums as well. I'm curious though, I've not been producing for very long, are there advantages to working with audio (other than processing resources) over midi?

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:46 pm

beats me wrote:Not really an easy question. You drag and drop samples into a drum rack. So I'm not really sure what your question is.
Dragging and dropping samples into arrangement view, not using a drum rack.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:47 pm

I always found using the samples directly works better for me, one less layer of abstraction in the writing process. And I generally dislike using midi and prefer to work with audio, but that's just me.

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:56 pm

DefCone1 wrote:Much easier to work with drum racks IMO, I've tried both and every time I work with audio, I just end up double clicking trying to bring up another note, then remember I'm not on a midi clip. I like having easy access to the velocities of my drums as well. I'm curious though, I've not been producing for very long, are there advantages to working with audio (other than processing resources) over midi?
I usually drag and drop into audio tracks. I have a seperate track for each sample. I just started using drum rack and I'm just not a fan. I like having seperate tracks so i can have different effects on each drum sample. If I want an automated filter cutoff on just my hats or if i want to throw some delay on my snare, and only my snare, I like that. and i like to mix each drum sample volume individually.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Not really sure I understand the advantage of dropping individual drum samples into an arrangement. If you have a hi-hat with a 16th note pattern you’re copying and pasting 16 copies of that sample? Seems a little cumbersome.

DefCone1

Post by DefCone1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 pm

aldred09 wrote:
DefCone1 wrote:Much easier to work with drum racks IMO, I've tried both and every time I work with audio, I just end up double clicking trying to bring up another note, then remember I'm not on a midi clip. I like having easy access to the velocities of my drums as well. I'm curious though, I've not been producing for very long, are there advantages to working with audio (other than processing resources) over midi?
I usually drag and drop into audio tracks. I have a seperate track for each sample. I just started using drum rack and I'm just not a fan. I like having seperate tracks so i can have different effects on each drum sample. If I want an automated filter cutoff on just my hats or if i want to throw some delay on my snare, and only my snare, I like that. and i like to mix each drum sample volume individually.
If you want effects on just a single drum then click "show chain list" on your drum rack, and insert the effect you want directly after the sample. This "chain list" will also show volumes for all the samples in your drum rack, allowing you to mix them to your hearts content. Different folks, different strokes though :)

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm

beats me wrote:Not really sure I understand the advantage of dropping individual drum samples into an arrangement. If you have a hi-hat with a 16th note pattern you’re copying and pasting 16 copies of that sample? Seems a little cumbersome.

It goes really fast if you just highlight the spacing and hit ctrl+d to duplicate then you can ctrl+click and copy the entire pattern. It goes very quickly.

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:08 pm

DefCone1 wrote:
aldred09 wrote:
If you want effects on just a single drum then click "show chain list" on your drum rack, and insert the effect you want directly after the sample. This "chain list" will also show volumes for all the samples in your drum rack, allowing you to mix them to your hearts content. Different folks, different strokes though :)
Well that could be a game changer for me. I did not know about that!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I switched over to Logic a few years ago, but I thought with drum racks you can set it up so each pad can be its own track in a group track. No?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:17 pm

beats me wrote:I switched over to Logic a few years ago, but I thought with drum racks you can set it up so each pad can be its own track in a group track. No?
Of course!

It seems the people asking don't really know what DrumRacks can do for them.
At the latest when they switch to using controllers, they will realize that the road ends there with audio, while it only just begins when you use DrumRacks!

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:17 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Drum Rack all the way!
I'm actually surprised that this is even debated :?
Not a debate so much as me getting feedback for my personal use. I'm use to dragging and dropping samples but I've learned a few new things about drum racks from this short thread

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:19 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:I switched over to Logic a few years ago, but I thought with drum racks you can set it up so each pad can be its own track in a group track. No?
Of course!

It seems the people asking don't really know what DrumRacks can do for them.
At the latest when they switch to using controllers, they will realize that the road ends there with audio, while it only just begins when you use DrumRacks!
How do i make it a group? I just got a Controller and thats why I'm messing with a drum rack now. I just need to learn the tricks and quirks I guess