Question about Cracked Versions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Question about Cracked Versions

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 am

:lol:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Since my name keeps being used here (if if only to point to a hypothetical), I feel again the need to point out that I'm am not only not using a cracked version of any software, but find it highly offensive, that a certain poster not only gets away with claiming such a thing, but also gets to call me a retard on top of it. AND no one objects! That's what you get for trying for 3 years now to be helpful to people on the forums. Beautiful!

All the people who can read, I invite to read my statements again. They will find that I only wrote that Ableton is smart in not doing all that much against people using cracks.
I stand by that.
It's not loosing money from people, who wouldn't buy it anyway (the stereotype, of the spoiled rich westerner), it's not loosing money from people who are to poor to buy it (the stereotype of the poor guy from a poor backround) and they gain significant mindshare and the prospect of earning some money from the people of the second stereotype, once they saved up some money. Add Push to the equation, and they will make money even from the first stereotype in many cases.

As a quick anecdote:
On a new years party I actually ran into an Ableton employee (no coder, just customer support for Latin America) and he told me that this is actually somewhat Abletons policy, going as far as giving customer support to people in Latin America, where it is absolutely obvious, that a crack is being used.

BTW: He did not feel the need to call me a thief for having the opinion I stated. Funny how that works among civilized people :roll:

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Since my name keeps being used here (if if only to point to a hypothetical), I feel again the need to point out that I'm am not only not using a cracked version of any software, but find it highly offensive, that a certain poster not only gets away with claiming such a thing, but also gets to call me a retard on top of it. AND no one objects! That's what you get for trying for 3 years now to be helpful to people on the forums. Beautiful!

All the people who can read, I invite to read my statements again. They will find that I only wrote that Ableton is smart in not doing all that much against people using cracks.
I stand by that.
It's not loosing money from people, who wouldn't buy it anyway (the stereotype, of the spoiled rich westerner), it's not loosing money from people who are to poor to buy it (the stereotype of the poor guy from a poor backround) and they gain significant mindshare and the prospect of earning some money from the people of the second stereotype, once they saved up some money. Add Push to the equation, and they will make money even from the first stereotype in many cases.

You won't find objections to something that no one can take serious, and your help on the forum is appreciated.
You won't see objections for something that no one can take serious, and your help on the forum is appreciated.

As a quick anecdote:
On a new years party I actually ran into an Ableton employee (no coder, just customer support for Latin America) and he told me that this is actually somewhat Abletons policy, going as far as giving customer support to people in Latin America, where it is absolutely obvious, that a crack is being used.

BTW: He did not feel the need to call me a thief for having the opinion I stated. Funny how that works among civilized people :roll:
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:32 pm

You won't find objections to something no one can take serious, and your help on the forum is appreciated.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

cmreal04 wrote:You won't find objections to something no one can take serious, and your help on the forum is appreciated.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

yeah Tom... you're a helpful sort... don't sweat it.

you and eyeknow just have your wires crossed on this one.

it's okay to disagree... sometimes we just get all pit bull about stuff and won't let it go.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:59 pm

cmreal04 wrote:You won't find objections to something no one can take serious, and your help on the forum is appreciated.

+1

Bassninja

Post by Bassninja » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 pm

+1

drez

Post by drez » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Agreed. Thanks for all you do. Your work for the PUSH has been extremely valuable to the community!

As for the subject at hand, I haven't personally chimed in because IMO the argument isn't worth it. Counter view, insults thrown, etc. I don't condone the behavior either way so it should, IMO, be taken to PM's.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Galt

Post by Galt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 am

I just wanted to talk crack, and suddenly we're all blowing Tom. :x

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:34 am

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm

I have to agree with with Tom's position.

I spent money 3 times on ableton. To upgrade lite to live 8, live 8 to live 8 suite and then to live suite 9. I like ableton and want further enhancement of the program. But I never would of heard of ableton or had interest in it, if it wasnt for a friend who cracked it and introduced it to me. I then cracked it myself and it used crack copy for a year or two. Got tired of dealing with glitches with cracked copy's and no support and wanted access to the full content (packs, etc...)

A demo is nice, but I would of never of had time to get a feel for the program in 30 days. The amount of time I could of put in with the program within 30 days would of not of been enough for me to get a proper feel enough for to be willing to spend of the software. The program is expensive for most people including myself.

I believe most people who cracked ableton would not of been people who would of even considered buying the program in the firt place. I do believe though that its Imoral not to buy it if you have the means to do it and that your using alot and even worst if your making money from it. The kid who is cracking photoshop to play around with at home is not affecting adobe revenue stream WHATSOEVER. If a professional who uses it for business does it then its whole different story.

To come back to the original topic. The difference with cracked and real version. The cracked versions are usualy not up to date and might have more glitches, you do get the full content that is provided with a legit copy. A legit copy supports the compagny and makes sure your copy doesnt suddendly crap out in the middle of a project. You also remove the stress of getting sued if you ever start making money with your software.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:18 pm

"Have." The word is "have."

:x
Unsound Designer

Post by 102455 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Dragonbreath wrote: I never would of

I would of never of

I could of

would of not of

would not of

who would of
:roll:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Dragonbreath wrote: the stress of getting sued if you ever start making money with your software.

:lol: